1 2 3
eastsidemav
eastsidemav None
9/24/08 8:10 p.m.

The Quad4 CRX is up for sale again. This is the car that originally competed in the Challenge in 2005, went through a few owners, then my father and I got it back into shape and ran it in the $2007 Challenge. Immediately after getting it home, I started tearing into it to build the ultimate Modified-class rallycrosser. Made several changes to enhance the car's durability and serviceablity. Unfortunately, when I went to change the oil on it in the early spring, I found out we must have blown the head gasket at the challenge. Since I had other projects being stalled by this, I stuck it under the deck, and ignored it until now. At this point, I'd rather be rid of it, and the spare parts that are cluttering up the garage, so I can work on my 28 Chevy more easily. It can be converted back to autocrsoss trim pretty easily, or someone can finish what I started and build one heck of an M2 rallycrosser. This is definitely not a car for the street - it is loud and rough riding. Price is $800 Firm.

Please note: No longer has the graphics, the spolier, or the wheels in the pic - I may be able to get the wheels for you, sans tires, but I'm not sure.

More pics (including a couple of quick current ones) at: http://www.flickr.com/photos/26452526@N03/sets/72157607768364793/

The good: -87 Honda CRX HF -GM quad4/TH125 drivetrain mounted solid to the car, custom header and full leangth exhaust -Integra rear axle and disc brakes -Cut down integra rear springs -6 point bolt in roll cage -Mugen front torsion bars -3 gallon aluminum fuel cell in the hatch area, plumbed -new Monroe shocks/struts -Jegs battery box in the passenger seat area -racing seat -G-FOrce racing harness that is dated October 2007, so still in date. -Has a title

The Bad -Blown head gasket, possibly with a warped head. -Battery may be dead after sitting - I should be able to charge it enough to start it, but I wouldn't bet on it lasting.

The Ugly: -Desperately needs a bath, been under my deck since spring, only had a cover for a couple of months. -Front bumper is off the car. -Did a very quick paint job on the hood to cover up the pacman graphic. -the header panel has a good-sized crack in it. Currently taped up, but could really use some fiberglass work. -The e-brake handle/console area is pretty ugly, and taped up. In order to mount the handle, I had to hack up the console that had originally been made for the auto shifter. To make it look nice, you'd probably want to relocate the shifter forward a bit, and build a new cover for it.

The spares: -Spare front fenders -Tokico adjustable shocks/struts - took them off since I was worried they'd get trashed rallycrossing. -Eibach rear springs -4 used Falken rally tires 2 mounted on five lug rims (front) and two on four lug rims (rear). -Two unmounted used Michelin rally tires. -probably can dig up a few spare used GM front wheel bearing assemblies from my old Corsica, that I think will also fit this.

If you want to go the rallycross route, you'd probably want to at least reindex the torsion bars to raise the ride height a bit in front, and finish building a bulkhead around the fuel cell (will be required in the 09 season, already required for an SCCA autocross car).

If you have any questions, let me know. I'm east of Cincinnati, OH, just a little outside the I-275 loop. I may also be selling my dad's tow dolly for him, but need to check with him before I am certain. I would prefer to sell the car and its spares all together, but if you desperately want something, let me know. $800 Firm, or may trade for an older sub-500cc motorcycle in good running condition with a clear title.

SVreX
SVreX SuperDork
9/24/08 9:13 p.m.

Dang...it was right about this time in '06 when I got beat on the purchase of this car by about an hour. My Challenge effort had failed, and this one came up for sale. I made the offer 1 hour late.

Bought the Yugo from Hell instead.

Good car. Excellent price. I'm really glad to see this one staying in the GRM family. Good luck with the sale.

eastsidemav
eastsidemav New Reader
9/24/08 9:18 p.m.
SVreX wrote: Dang...it was right about this time in '06 when I got beat on the purchase of this car by about an hour. My Challenge effort had failed, and this one came up for sale. I made the offer 1 hour late.

I might be willing to trade for a 323GTX, too

SVreX
SVreX SuperDork
9/24/08 9:44 p.m.

Already got a CRX.

Besides, the GTX just seems to fit alongside my Yugos, my Subie 360, my Corvair, my SVXii, my '60 El Camino, and my SHOJusty.

I like quirky.

stan
stan GRM+ Memberand Dork
9/25/08 6:27 a.m.

Does it still have the HF rear axle?

Stan

PubBurgers
PubBurgers HalfDork
9/25/08 12:12 p.m.

Having been one of the PO's of this car and having a thing for 1G CRX's this is a killer deal.

IIRC the HF axle is still there. Don't remember if it has the aluminum drums though.

eastsidemav
eastsidemav New Reader
9/25/08 3:30 p.m.

The HF rear axle is not installed anymore, but I have it, and will be happy to include it with the car(forgot to list it as one of the spares). The rear drums when i got the car had rust on them, so I highly doubt they were aluminum anymore :) I think I still have them, if I do, and can dig them up, they go with the car.

eastsidemav
eastsidemav New Reader
9/27/08 9:33 a.m.

My father is also willing to sell his tow dolly that is stored at my place for $650, in case you need something to haul the car home with Its a relatively wide one (the CRX just barely fits), so it can handle a lot of different cars.

Oh yeah, I also have the original HF gas tank, it goes with the car.

eastsidemav
eastsidemav New Reader
10/1/08 3:27 p.m.

Bump - still got it - will try to take more pictures whenever I get around to resealing the deck, and need to pull the car out from under it.

eastsidemav
eastsidemav New Reader
10/5/08 6:57 p.m.

I drove it out from under the deck to day and gave it a quick bath. New photos, including of the rally tires/wheels and the 13" wheels that had been on the car (got them back, they go with the car):

http://www.flickr.com/photos/26452526@N03/sets/72157607768364793/

PubBurgers
PubBurgers HalfDork
10/6/08 8:57 a.m.

Have you posted it on redpepperracing.com yet?

eastsidemav
eastsidemav New Reader
10/7/08 4:35 p.m.
PubBurgers wrote: Have you posted it on redpepperracing.com yet?

Just listed it last night.

exST165
exST165 New Reader
10/12/08 11:38 p.m.

Pardon my ignorance, but is this an auto or manual? It looks like an auto shifter but I just thought I'd ask to be sure.

Also, is there any particular reason why a Quad 4 was swapped in? Just wondering.

TIA, Thomas

eastsidemav
eastsidemav New Reader
10/14/08 6:29 p.m.
exST165 wrote: Pardon my ignorance, but is this an auto or manual? It looks like an auto shifter but I just thought I'd ask to be sure. Also, is there any particular reason why a Quad 4 was swapped in? Just wondering. TIA, Thomas

Its an automatic. Still has the clutch pedal, and the quad4 was available with a 5 speed on some cars, so a swap might be feasible.

I think the original swappers thought it would be easier to make power with the quad4 on the cheap than with the HF engine. I think it dyno'd around 140 HP to the wheels at the '05 Challenge.

SVreX
SVreX SuperDork
10/14/08 7:31 p.m.

Weren't the original builders from Luk Automotive? They make clutches etc. primarily for Us auto manufacturers, so I think they were working with something they were familiar with.

eastsidemav
eastsidemav New Reader
10/16/08 3:53 p.m.
SVreX wrote: Weren't the original builders from Luk Automotive? They make clutches etc. primarily for Us auto manufacturers, so I think they were working with something they were familiar with.

They sure were, so its a good bet they were more familiar with domestics. IIRC, they also set up a custom shift kit for the TH125.

Here's their original build page: http://www.breesmotorsports.com/2005lukmotorsports.html

eastsidemav
eastsidemav New Reader
10/28/08 9:32 p.m.

Bump -still for sale - it'd make a great winter project...

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand Dork
10/30/08 12:52 p.m.

Whoever buys this has to restore the pacman paint job And then drive it around an autocross course with the pacman chomping sound playing over the sound system

eastsidemav
eastsidemav New Reader
10/30/08 3:24 p.m.

If you can come get it before Thanksgiving, or if you don't want all the spare parts, I'd be willing to negotiate on the price. I don't really want to sell any of the spares before the car is sold, though.

eastsidemav
eastsidemav New Reader
11/12/08 3:33 p.m.

$600 for the car and spare parts if you can get it before Thanksgiving.

SVreX
SVreX SuperDork
11/12/08 6:21 p.m.

This breaks my heart.

Come on, guys! Somebody's gotta take it!!

stan
stan GRM+ Memberand Dork
11/13/08 7:59 a.m.

So tempting... ...especially as I have three '86 CRX parts-cars sitting around doing nothing. I just don't have the time or space.

PubBurgers
PubBurgers HalfDork
11/13/08 8:35 a.m.
stan wrote: So tempting... ...especially as I have three '86 CRX parts-cars sitting around doing nothing. I just don't have the time or space.

Do it! $600 is enough of a steal it can wait till you have time, just hide it under a car cover somewhere.

eastsidemav
eastsidemav New Reader
11/13/08 3:34 p.m.
PubBurgers wrote:
stan wrote: So tempting... ...especially as I have three '86 CRX parts-cars sitting around doing nothing. I just don't have the time or space.
Do it! $600 is enough of a steal it can wait till you have time, just hide it under a car cover somewhere.

heck, I'll even give you the cover thats covering it right now :)

noisycricket
noisycricket Reader
11/13/08 8:33 p.m.

You know, I was planning on retiring the RX-7...

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
sJaf1SwqNK1l2G6mv1h6SrDLnwsfJGzxy3t0p3GDm6sPRor7tI4XM0bgwlr0EDjH