SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
1/4/17 6:10 p.m.

In reply to Joe Gearin:

You've got mail.

Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard GRM+ Memberand Associate Editor
1/4/17 6:42 p.m.

If we're doing a GRM relay transport, I'm headed to Gainesville on Sunday and could take it that far.... lol

Cotton
Cotton UberDork
1/4/17 11:21 p.m.

Is that a factory bugshield and a roof rack? What a weird little car. This thing is speaking to me.

Joe Gearin
Joe Gearin Associate Publisher
1/5/17 8:50 a.m.

Cotton--- roof rack yes......bugshield no. The PO painted the front of the hood black after a bit of rust repair. It's sporty!

Joe Gearin
1/5/17 10:59 a.m.
Spinout007 wrote: Dammit... I picked up a 1.8 NA Miata at the challenge this year with a no start condition. Figured fix it, drive it, challenge it this year, and then sell it off As SWMBO is really eyeballing a ND. This thing has me wanting to bump off the miata for some 80's amusement. Oh, and I HATE carbs, but I really want this thing. I need my head checked.

Oh--- don't hate on carbs. They are simple and easy to deal with. I drove this thing 2200 miles from IL to FL on a roundabout route. Know how much fiddling I had to do to the carb? None. Once they are set, they tend to work well for a long time period.

Spinout007
Spinout007 GRM+ Memberand UberDork
1/5/17 3:31 p.m.

I've always had trouble getting them set correctly. My dad does a fantastic job just by listening to it. (but he's also never built a "performance" engine with me and a carb. Just the old beaters I used to drag home) Once they're set, they usually do fairly well unless you're going through massive elevation changes.

Part of me is wondering how much power that little twin stick trans can handle.

Joe Gearin
1/5/17 4:15 p.m.

Well, they put the twin-stick in the Dodge Colt GTS Turbo, and those made over 100hp. So there's that.......

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 UltraDork
1/14/17 6:32 p.m.

Did this sell?

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 UltraDork
1/17/17 11:29 a.m.

Bueller?

Joe Gearin
1/17/17 4:21 p.m.

Sorry for the delay.

I was able to get the Champ cleaned up and running yesterday. It will run with a gravity-feed, but there's an obstruction in the fuel tank or line, causing starvation. The fuel filler pipe has flakes of rust, so I'm sure the tank is full of debris. That said, the little thing fired right up, and ran well--- no ticking or knocking--- sounds healthy. It has 91K miles, which I believe to be accurate.

It needs the fuel issue to be resolved, and the CV joint / half shaft to be installed--- then I believe it would be a reliable driver.

The rust hasn't progressed from sitting, not noticeably at least--- one of the benefits of living in FL. I also tallied the spare parts that come with the car. It doesn't need most of these--- I just bought them for the original drive home--- and they were incredibly cheap on Rock Auto--- I mean, comically cheap!

CV Joint /halfshaft

Water Pump and thermostat

Oil filter

brake lines and brake shoes

head gasket and valve cover gasket

timing belt and accessory drive belt

There is rust at the leading edge of the hood, making it tricky to open, as the hinge is mounted on rotted metal. There is rust at the bottom of the doors, and there is a rust hole on each strut tower. (not on top, but on the side)

I've had some interest in the car, but no one has pulled the trigger yet. After looking the car over again, I'm asking $1K OBO. Don't be shy about shooting an offer at me--- no price will offend me. The car is actually pretty darn nice, and I think it's worth every bit of a grand to the right guy.......just need to find that right guy, or girl!

Oh--- there is also hail damage that you can't see in the pics-- makes the car faster-- has the aerodynamic properties of a golf ball!

Here's more pics that were taken last night:

Joe Gearin
1/18/17 11:53 a.m.

bumpity bump with new pics and info

NoPermitNeeded
NoPermitNeeded Reader
1/18/17 12:03 p.m.

so much want... but rust repair is something I fear

Joe Gearin
1/18/17 2:51 p.m.
NoPermitNeeded wrote: so much want... but rust repair is something I fear

"One who fears failure limits his activities. Failure is only the opportunity to more intelligently begin again." Henry Ford

"I've missed more than 9000 shots in my career. I've lost almost 300 games. 26 times, I've been trusted to take the game winning shot and missed. I've failed over and over and over again in my life. And that is why I succeed." Michael Jordan

"Do one thing every day that scares you." Eleanor Roosevelt

I'm just here to help!

Spinout007
1/18/17 9:56 p.m.

So who wants to take my project Miata off my hands for 1k so I can go get this beast?

Joe Gearin
1/20/17 9:52 a.m.

Ok boys.....you've had your chance.

Danny Shields
Danny Shields GRM+ Memberand Reader
1/20/17 12:45 p.m.

In reply to Joe Gearin:

Oh, no, Joe! What have you done?

Joe Gearin
1/20/17 1:30 p.m.

Nothing yet Danny---- but this weekend decisions need to be made. I'm in purge mode---- need to simplify and downsize a bit. The Champ will be the first casualty.......probably followed by my 71 Honda Scrambler CL 350.

Of course an even trade for that 944 would be considered!

Pattyo
Pattyo New Reader
1/20/17 9:43 p.m.

if you can get it driveable and hold off of selling it for about a month I bet you could get 1200 for it. people get tax refunds in their hands and they want to spend it.

Spinout007
1/23/17 4:08 p.m.

Yeah, money is the big problem with bringing this thing home. My wife being a substitute teacher and not working for a month, along with vet bills, have killed my fun budget for the next few weeks. And I just found out our project miata needs a timing belt.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
1/23/17 4:38 p.m.

I don't know if I am the only one who made Joe an offer, but I had to back out, and I just want to say that Joe was incredibly fair.

One of you really need to give him an offer.

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand Dork
1/23/17 6:47 p.m.

Joe if it's a space thing I have a spot here in Jax it can sit. That goes for anyone wanting to buy it but can't pick it up yet.

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
1/23/17 8:31 p.m.

Yay, Stampie! I have no interest in this (Sorry, Joe) but it is a neat little whip and should be saved.

Danny Shields
Danny Shields GRM+ Memberand Reader
1/24/17 6:58 a.m.

Someone (but not me) should save this little morsel of automotive history. Kids today don't remember Plymouth, and even Plymouth fans don't remember the twin-stick Champ. Bring it to the Challenge. It may not win, but will still be a Champ!

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 UltraDork
1/24/17 9:02 a.m.

I will offer $500, but I'm not sure if that is an insult. Also I don't know how I would get it up north here, but combining this with my friends rootbeer brown 1980 Colt would make for a cool car.

Joe Gearin
1/24/17 12:08 p.m.

Thanks Paul!

Mazdax605--- I'm never insulted when people talk about putting money in my pocket! PM me, and I'm sure we can work something out.

I just may have to get this thing drivable---- so much easier for folks to buy. I'd bet I could have it ready for a 1000 mile trip within a day. Throw a beer-keg sized gas tank in the hatch, re-route the fuel line, replace the CV joint----- and she's good to go! Now I just need to find a day where I don't have anything else going on. Maybe this weekend-- Yeah, no....that's the Rolex 24 Hour! The weekend after? Nah-- my brother turns 50, having a big party. Weekend after that?.......

I'd love to see the Champ at the Challenge---- with only 1800 lbs to push, it wouldn't take a whole lotta hp to make it fast!

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
zSkFK2jQnc2yb2yGThELLv2YnqSck7e3joD0WiaeHSZEjUvUHozjq91mLQnR0CcA