nutherjrfan
nutherjrfan Dork
12/9/17 9:15 p.m.

Ironically with starter problems.

Always wanted to get a pick up at some point in my life.  Absolutely no need at this point but sub $500 is always tempting.  Not much info in the CL ad - shocking, I know.  The map location given will allow me walk the neighborhood tomorrow to see if it's for real without contacting the seller first.  The location of the photo shoot sure don't look like any part of D.C. that I know however. 

Thoughts?  It would be a truck nothing more and then sell it on a year or two later.  I doubt a starter would be either pricey or difficult to fix.  Of course insurance on a third vehicle will determine whether I bite.  smiley

Mr. Lee
Mr. Lee GRM+ Memberand UberDork
12/11/17 8:16 a.m.

2.8 V6 Starter issue could be anything from bad ground, to flakey ignition switch under the dash. I've had that generation and the last generation. Much easier to live with, with an extended cab.  I miss my 88. I personally like the 2.8, but any 60* V6 gm makes should drop right in if you need more powah! 

Edit: Manual windows, manual locks. Floor shift Auto, Salvage title. With some sorting, could be a rather nice little truck. Just don't expect it to haul much with that auto.  I pulled 6k lbs worth of scrap metal trailer when the big truck broke one weekend with a manual trans. Though the bumper mount ball wasn't happy about it.

gearheadmb
gearheadmb Dork
12/11/17 10:47 a.m.

Body looks good. If it has the 4.3 and tbi those were good running machines. The could definitely destroy a set of rear tires in short order. I have to disagree with the above statement about swapping other 60 deg v6 in. The starter is different, probably other stuff too. If you are gonna go through the trouble of swapping, just do a v8. 

Mr. Lee
12/11/17 1:33 p.m.

If it has the 4.3 it was swapped. I don't believe they offered the 4.3 in 84.  All I know about 4.3's I learned in my dad's 96 blazer. Good motor, but ran out of lungs quickly, but that could have been 4x4, towing package and 31x10.5's doing as well. 

My neighbor has an 01' 4.3 ex cab 2wd S10, with less than 80k on it, and it runs pretty darn good. He's 77 years old, and claims to have half a dozen people in line for when he decides to sell it. His wife's 3 year old impala has less than 12k on it. It's mind blowing how little some people drive. 

Gearheadotaku
Gearheadotaku GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
12/12/17 11:17 a.m.

Looks like a good deal potentially. It's a sport model, very rare. If it has a tach, that's mega rare. It's been painted, the flares were just black plastic from the factory. 

nutherjrfan
nutherjrfan Dork
12/14/17 12:11 a.m.

Oof.  I just looked at one of my paychecks for this week.  Also I get a bi-weekly this week.  So I sent an e-mail.  If it's genuine it'll be hard not to take a look see. smiley

nutherjrfan
nutherjrfan Dork
12/16/17 12:07 p.m.

Well he/she got back to me with this reply.

"Yes it is 250  i am on call so i meed the truck until the end of the month

Thanks"

Semi-cryptic.  So we'll see if it's legit a few weeks from now. smiley

Mr. Lee
12/16/17 12:29 p.m.

Keep us posted. I've got a thing for old trucks lately. 

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
12/18/17 10:33 a.m.

Why no updates?

Mr. Lee
12/18/17 11:04 a.m.

In reply to Brett_Murphy :

LOL dude said he needed the truck till new years.

nutherjrfan
nutherjrfan SuperDork
1/3/18 5:45 p.m.

Minor update.  With respect to the sellers wishes I got back in touch just now so we'll see what happens.  However the posting has expired. smiley

nutherjrfan
nutherjrfan SuperDork
1/4/18 6:33 a.m.

Yes its ready go  with title pick up yjis sumday if  like

Sent from my iPhone

Well that's the latest communication.  I'll admit I'm a little skeptical as it's only on sale for basically scrap price app.  I'll find out Sunday or is that "sumday"? smiley

Danny Shields
Danny Shields GRM+ Memberand Reader
1/4/18 7:10 a.m.

I consider "just a starter problem" a big red flag that the engine and/or transmission could be junk. But if it's cheap enough...

And it is true that most of us don't really need a pickup, but once you get used to having one, you won't want to be without one.

nutherjrfan
nutherjrfan SuperDork
1/5/18 9:21 p.m.

the conversation such as it is appears to be warming up which is more than can be said for the weather.  My inner 'naked nomad' is saying go ahead make a big learn or die mistake...

Sunday appears to be the day...

Also flying solo on this...if I crash and burn I shall be honest. yes

nutherjrfan
nutherjrfan SuperDork
1/7/18 9:51 a.m.

Had the first meeting with the owner today.  Price is agreed upon at $250.  As the DMV isn't open until Tuesday we haven't completed the purchase so kinda still up in the air especially as the title was "definitely" in a box in his apartment.  So Monday night he'll make the short drive to my apartment hopefully with the title which shouldn't be salvage as noted above or so Carfax says it ain't salvage.  Apparently it's not great starting on cold days,  needs time to cool down on warmer days after a run and the emissions fail was something fuel related.  Nothing that scares me too much I'll have 40 days from initial registration to troubleshoot.  Will post pics if it all goes through.  smiley

nutherjrfan
nutherjrfan SuperDork
1/7/18 9:54 a.m.

oh yeah, no tach that I could see. indecision

nutherjrfan
nutherjrfan SuperDork
1/11/18 4:06 p.m.

Well it's mine now.  Passing emissions will be the biggest task ahead and I've got forty days to do so.  $250 to the seller.  $216 for temporary tag, title fee and excise - phew!  Oh well.  smiley

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
1/11/18 5:56 p.m.

Congrats

bludroptop
bludroptop UltraDork
1/11/18 6:28 p.m.

I dunno if I could walk away from a running p/u for $250 clams, as long as it had papers and wasn't too rusty to tag.

Well bought, as the snooty say.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
WdePEtAJqiyKkmHUyqTH84UCXImpkWPMIKepSdb24rXGoGFlBKwPhCY2UBbKD3z4