914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
10/16/17 3:15 p.m.

NMNA:  Saw this on the 914World forum off topic area call the sandbox.  It's nothing I can have right now, but if you want some Auto-X or track days, why not pursue it?  They look like fun.

Good luck,

Dan

"I am helping with a deceased friend's estate. He had a Titan Mk 6 Formula Ford stored for 25+ years.

It is in pieces. We are thinking the best move is to sell parts, engine and transaxle may be the most value. There is an offer of $2K on the table for the whole thing. Take it or part out? Timing is an issue, estate needs to be cleaned up.

Thanks"

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/16/17 4:19 p.m.

In reply to 914Driver :

Well, it appears as if I am now a member of the 914World forum. Email has been sent...

markwemple
markwemple UltraDork
10/16/17 5:17 p.m.

Anyone with a link? THis is SOOO MUCH of interest!!!!!!!

markwemple
markwemple UltraDork
10/16/17 8:02 p.m.
Woody
10/16/17 8:17 p.m.

I’ve gotten an email back. Hopefully I can get a peek at it later in the week. 

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
10/17/17 8:33 a.m.

Good luck Woody, of course pictures are required.

Be advised that 914World has a GGA thread that IS NOT SAFE FOR WORK!  (and most wives I suppose)

Dan

KyAllroad
KyAllroad PowerDork
10/17/17 9:14 a.m.

In reply to 914Driver :

Well THAT is worth the price of admission!  Thanks for the heads up....er, "warning" wink

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
10/17/17 10:21 a.m.

OK, but you were warned.  BTW, when they start a new page in their "Hot Linking Photos" thread, the first post is always a tastefully done image of a young person in a beautiful setting.  That is work safe, mostly.

Dan

pizzaman1
pizzaman1 New Reader
10/20/17 4:17 a.m.

I'm interested if still available , please contact me at my private e mail 

ladypit5556@gmail.com  

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
10/20/17 6:54 a.m.

Sorry Pizza, I'm not the seller.

FSP_ZX2
FSP_ZX2 Dork
10/20/17 7:54 a.m.

That car is worth a small fortune (if all together) as far as vintage FF's go.  I've seen MKIIIs in the $70K range--I assume the other "Marks" have similar potential. 

markwemple
markwemple UltraDork
10/20/17 8:05 a.m.

FF prices are all over the place, but I've never seen a running one for under $7500.

Woody
10/20/17 11:21 a.m.

I have seen photos of this car and spoken to the guy in charge of disposing it. The conversation consisted of mainly F-bombs and "You know what this thing is worth". It has not run since at least 1982 and the gearbox, as well as the rest of the car, is in pieces and scattered across two locations. He would not even suggest an asking price, just "We are taking offers. You know what this thing..."

I am not even that far away, but none of this has inspired me to make a second phone call.sad

pizzaman1
pizzaman1 New Reader
10/21/17 3:50 a.m.

Why don't they put the thing on eBay and see what happens, it sounds like an aggravating situation at best , I hate to deal with people like that , either sell me the car or not !! 

markwemple
markwemple UltraDork
10/21/17 6:18 a.m.

Talk about worst case scenario. Maybe meet the guy, get him drunk and give him cash in 20s? 

128racecar
128racecar Reader
10/21/17 8:44 a.m.

The seller is in for a big disappointment. Having bought and sold a number of vintage race cars over the years, the market is limited. What a car is worth is one thing. The real problem is there are VERY few buyers for vintage race cars. There are even fewer for vintage formula cars. Unlike production cars, you won't find a lot of guys looking for a specific brand of formula car. What many formula car buyers are looking for for is how competitive it is, which generally requires a completed car with lap times at a known track. The FF guys tend to more competitive, so unlikey they will pour a bunch of money into unknown project. Not only is the vintage race car buyer market extremely limited compared to the collector car market, but the number of buyers who will take on a project like this where you can easily buy a done, reliable, sorted car with spares for the same completed price is minute. I like to do my own work, so labor costs are nil. Many of your vintage racers are not going to be mechanically adept enough to do a full restoration. That's why it is super easy to buy a cheap race car that is an absolute steal (like my 79 Civic race car that I bought for $1200 and sold $6k in spares I didn't need), but are very hard to sell. His 2k offer on the table may not be the best offer he gets, but he won't see at lot of serious offers, except for the unwitting ones who have no idea what the are getting into, and how much it will take to get it to the track and sorted. That's why  such projects are passed on from buyer to buyer with little done over the years. 

Woody
10/21/17 9:43 a.m.

I suspect that the guy who offered two grand, if he even exists, will smarten up before anything changes hands. 

markwemple
markwemple UltraDork
10/21/17 10:51 a.m.

Also, if any of the important bits are missing, those bits can easily double or triple the buy in price. So, outside labor, this may very well be a $10k car. And a big jigsaw puzzle! (and my dumb butt still wants it!)

128racecar
128racecar Reader
10/22/17 6:45 a.m.
markwemple said:

Also, if any of the important bits are missing, those bits can easily double or triple the buy in price. So, outside labor, this may very well be a $10k car. And a big jigsaw puzzle! (and my dumb butt still wants it!)

Vintage Formula Fords, regardless of type, tend to run 15-20k fully sorted and track ready. It wouldn't be hard to sink 10k into a project like this, even with doing your own labor. Moreover, formula guys tend to minimalists when it comes to spares, compared to production guys like me who like to hoard stockpiles of extra parts. Anyone who thinks you are just bolting this together is naive. Plan on inspecting, rewelding, a strengthening the frame and having all the suspension parts crack tested before starting anything. Simple cars, but you just can't slap one together. I'm not saying it can't be done cheaper than buying one done, but then you still have an untested, unsorted car that will probably take 2-3 (expensive) track weekends to sort out suspension, run ability, and other quirks. Maybe some will like the development and sorting stuff like me. Most don't. 

markwemple
markwemple UltraDork
10/22/17 8:32 a.m.

And that is why this car will be sitting for a while

markwemple
markwemple UltraDork
10/22/17 8:36 a.m.

And that is why this car will be sitting for a while

Woody
11/8/17 2:47 p.m.

I confirmed today that this car has sold (not to me). Here are the two photos that I was sent. The first was taken in 1982, three owners ago, and the second was taken last month.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
AqaI03xJ7nZ7SKgKiCqK8XClu6rQNdnW9ltvfrpQQI1BLVG8fiwGWvHzJlmiCdF1