akylekoz
akylekoz New Reader
11/9/15 9:01 a.m.

I have given up on my Volvo V70 XCSE.

AWD, Turbo, Auto.

Recently replaced.

Fuel pump, fuel pump relay, ETM upgrade to contacless, heatercore, transfercase coupler upgrade, driver side axle, all door locks except the driver door.

Runs and drives. In the last week it is 50/50 if it decides to be in limp home mode. No CEL or ETS light. When it decides to run properly it runs great, transmission shifts well.

Has built it second row booster seats and third row seat with dog net. Firestone snow tires with slow leaks. Only leaks oil if filled, I run it with six quarts instead of 7. Only driven in the winter for the last few years, so I'm not sure if the AC still works. Heated seats work. Solid body, just got it's first bubble. Navy blue with tan interior. 198k.

SE model came with 16" wheels and mine has the T5 spoiler.

Price will go up slightly if I can make it reliable but only a little. It has been my DD winter car and kid hauler. SWMBO says it has to go before I spend more on it.

Tony,

akylekoz@the mail of G

singleslammer
singleslammer UberDork
11/9/15 9:05 a.m.

A location is helpful

akylekoz
akylekoz New Reader
11/9/15 9:11 a.m.

Grand Rapids MI,

If I can get it to run properly, I would be willing to deliver up to one tank full. It likes to cruise.

markwemple
markwemple Dork
11/9/15 9:42 a.m.

What model year?

akylekoz
akylekoz New Reader
11/9/15 10:18 a.m.

2000 last year of the brick body, and prior to the dreaded 5 speed auto, mine has the Aisin 4 speed.

markwemple
markwemple Dork
11/9/15 10:33 a.m.

The 5 speeds are fine as long as they are regularly flushed with the correct fluid. Mine had over 160k on the original tranny when I sold it with no issues. So it is your trans going into limp mode, right?

akylekoz
akylekoz New Reader
11/9/15 10:48 a.m.

I don't think it's the tranny. Last two times that it started in normal mode I watched the tach as it shifted and it appeared to drop quickly between gears and feel good.

My daughter borrowed this car for a few weeks to get her through college after her car died. It stalled on her then restarted drove 45 minutes home then never started again. I trailered it across the state did the ETM upgrade because it had all of the symptoms and the ETS light on.

This did not help get the car running, it needed a fuel pump relay. Changed that and it fired right up. Took it for a drive, no ETS light, ran great. Added insurance now it is in limp mode. Maybe I'll check the ETM connection.

Also it sat from May until October. When it did run correctly it was right after a fresh battery charge. Coincidence? It cranks well and fires right up, but I have read that a weak battery can cause weird thing in there cars.

Murphy
Murphy New Reader
11/10/15 8:01 p.m.

Not to hijack your thread, but I just bought an 02 V70 XC, and its having a surging idle issue. So Ive been researching all these etm issues, sounds like alot of people have had this nightmare... hope you have some luck with yours before selling.

akylekoz
akylekoz New Reader
11/11/15 5:22 a.m.

Thanks, It fired right up again yesterday...still in limp mode. When I bought it several years ago thought I was getting the last of a sturdy car. Turns out the 98 to 00 had lots of their own problems most of which I cured.

Too busy with the racecar to mess with it. I really like the car, just tired of fixing what ever wore out over the winter.

If I can't cure it I'll part it and use the radiator/intercooler/fan in my Lemons car.

Grtechguy
Grtechguy UltimaDork
11/11/15 6:22 a.m.

Have you thrown a scanner on it to see if if any hidden codes?

akylekoz
akylekoz New Reader
11/11/15 6:48 a.m.

It does have an intermittent code for the exhaust cam timing device but that has been going on for years and has been replaced.

I've heard that there is a volvo specific scanner that can dig a little deeper but I don't have one of those.

EvanB
EvanB GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
11/11/15 7:02 a.m.

Trade for a mk1 VW Gti?

akylekoz
akylekoz New Reader
11/11/15 7:24 a.m.

Very tempting, just need to sneak it into the garage while the female that we don't speak of is not looking. Paint it blue, and she will never notice.

All hope is not lost on getting it running as I have done nothing at all to try.

I'll keep you posted, you must me a sucker for wagons like I am.

EvanB
EvanB GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
11/11/15 8:37 a.m.
akylekoz wrote: I'll keep you posted, you must me a sucker for wagons like I am.

Yea I really don't need another car but I do love wagons...

markwemple
markwemple Dork
11/11/15 8:42 a.m.

My '01 had a strange issue with 1st gear that the dealer resolved for free when the car was ~10 years old. Volvo had issued a ecu flash that covered it. Made a big change. She was a great car that I regret selling.

akylekoz
akylekoz New Reader
11/11/15 11:23 a.m.

I will look into a reflash if I can find someone to do it on the cheap.

I still have this car because I really like it, somehow it power slides like a rear wheel drive car in the snow. Took it to the tire store with four mounted tires, four loose tires, and four rims in boxes, with room for two people also.

With the built in booster seats I can legally haul four kids without any extra seats to install.

The cruise control is second only to BMW's dedicated stalk.

Hmmm. GTI

akylekoz
akylekoz Reader
11/14/15 7:43 p.m.

Update,

People coming over today so I decided to move the Volvo to the backyard...to rot. It fired right up, I let it warm while I filled a soft tire. Expecting the usual result of not much when depressing the accelerator the unexpected happened, great throttle response and the tack went past 2k for the first time in a week. Ran like a raped ape, seriously running better than ever smooth and strong with no vibration at idle.

Only change was taking some gas out of the racecar to prevent the gas tank from leaking on the floor and putting it in the Volvo. Maybe I'll get crazy and put some premium and fuel injector cleaner in it next time out.

If it repeats this about seventeen more times It will go on CL for $1200, $700 here, with the one tank delivery clause. I also have access to a trailer and could negotiate delivery. I would love to keep it, SWMBO doesn't understand and would like to reduce the fleet.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
0CqTK39CDAEwW4AxVb7Pg7roTN3ZDZyX4b1fkNfzCtS1M5JZGlFM7TMH9NzHt9JL