1 2 3
SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
9/30/17 1:03 p.m.

This is a (sort of) stalled project.

Actually, more accurately it is a complete, running, older conversion in the middle of a clutch job.  But I am moving, and have no time for this project.  I have waay too many things I need to deal with right now, and need to let this one go.  My loss, your gain.

The car has the potential to be a fabulous car.  It's an '88 (with the improved suspension design, brakes, and track).  The previous owner installed an L67 3800 SC Series 2 supercharged engine from a '97 Buick Regal.  The transmission is a 5 speed Getrag from a '90 Beretta.  The computer was reflashed as a '97 Grand Prix.  The swap was done about 10 years ago, and the owner street drove it since then.  Never been raced.

It wasn't a super clean swap (a few wonky wiring things and oddball heat shields), but it was complete.  The clutch exploded, and I that's how I bought it.  The engine runs strong (I have driven it in 1st gear only).

The interior is intact with all of it's 80's yumminess, but the seats are worn.  No rust.  Exterior is good- faded and peeled sealcoat.

I pulled the entire cradle to do a decent job cleaning up and detailing.  Trans is currently out of the car.  Cradle and engine is reinstalled temporarily so it can roll, but nothing is reconnected.  I was going to drop it out again to detail nicely.

If you know this car, you know it's the best of the Fieros.  If you know this engine, you know it is capable of 300hp with nothing more than a pulley swap.  If you know this transmission, you know it is a great choice for a manual option for this car.

I'm sorry about the crappy pics- they are all I've got right now.  

I've got $1200 in it.  I'll take $1000. 

I've got an empty trailer heading from Columbia SC to Gainesville FL at the end of next month for the Challenge.  I will transport it for free anywhere en route.

Who wants to build a great Fiero Challenger? cooldevilcool

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
9/30/17 1:16 p.m.

Oh wait!

I found some better pictures. smiley

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
9/30/17 1:18 p.m.

And here's a few more...

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
9/30/17 4:54 p.m.

BTW, this would also make a superb motor/ trans donor for an awesome hot hatch!

Actually, if you want it, I've got a Subaru Justy I'll throw in!  (Just because I like crazy!!) cheeky

GTXVette
GTXVette Dork
9/30/17 4:54 p.m.

That really is a Good Deal,   But I thought ya'll had just moved this summer ?  Post it over on gafiero.org at the bottom of the post page,  I would but can't do pictures  Pennocks fiero forum also.   huge potential.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
9/30/17 5:14 p.m.

Nope, haven't moved yet. I've started a new job, but still go back to GA weekends. 

Honestly, I wanted to bring it this year and whoop your behind in Jeremy's car. cheeky

If you'd like to repost it, I can send you the links to the pictures.

tripp
tripp Reader
9/30/17 5:26 p.m.

Looks like a fun project if my challenge car wasn't on jackstands and I didn't have 2 kids in diapers....

Jaynen
Jaynen SuperDork
9/30/17 7:32 p.m.

My buddy and I have been talking about a cheap car to build up and work on as an HPDE car. How much $$ you think its going to take to do the clutch and put it back together? I've never done a clutch before so I also don't know how long it takes usually

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
9/30/17 7:57 p.m.

In reply to Jaynen :

Well, the job is half done. Bolting the clutch in is super easy. 20 minutes. Reassembling the cradle assembly and getting it back in the car is several days work, if you've never worked on a Fiero. 

The cost depends on what clutch you buy. Stock clutch is under $100. A stage 2 would be closer to $300. A full blown SFI racing clutch would be more (but you won't need it). 

I like to consider a flywheel while I'm doing a clutch, but the car has a forged flywheel in it- might be worth sending it to a machine shop for a simple resurface. 

I wont oversell the effort it will take to get the entire cradle assembly back in the car. It's a lot of work for a novice, but all very doable. 

GTXVette
GTXVette Dork
9/30/17 8:16 p.m.

Jaynen, Because of the design of the engine/Trans in a Cradle it actually becomes Difficult If you have never done this job, then again it's super easy. not one to learn on in my Opinion, Most all FWD setup's are similar to this but If you didn't take it apart it could be confusing ,   parts could be had for a hundred bucks but high end stuff gets stupid quick. now if you have acess to someone with Hands on experence it is a badd ass combo. 

sadly The day's are  disapearing for me to get down to Jax To get Pimpn3's  car fix it and return this year. the car and fixing it are easy, the trip back and forth and fee's to enter and food and little stuff  are out of reach.    BUT I  WON'T QUIT TILL OCT 19th, Honestly I could fix it in the parking lot thursday, but the funding deal is still There.    

So keep it Paul, and well do this next year.    

PS I put the sale on gafiero you may want to detail it. 

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
9/30/17 8:21 p.m.

In reply to GTXVette :

Thanks for posting that.

If I wasn't moving, I would keep it.  It's gonna be an awesome car.  But I won't have room for it where I am going, and other projects have to take a priority.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
9/30/17 8:24 p.m.

Too bad I can't make it this year.  I was gonna give it a treatment kinda like this:

I figured I could get it down to 2300 lbs, add a light bar and a small bed, and whoop butt in the "truck" class. devil

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
9/30/17 8:25 p.m.

...but then I had a different plan for the year after. wink

GTXVette
GTXVette Dork
9/30/17 8:56 p.m.

they were only a little over 2400 lbs. in a base car I was going for 1 T.

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/30/17 8:57 p.m.

This is very tempting.

Where is the car now. 

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
9/30/17 9:25 p.m.

In reply to Toyman01 :

Columbia. I can bring it to your doorstep. 

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/30/17 9:34 p.m.

Damn.

Let me think on that some and count a few pennies. I'll let you know. 

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
9/30/17 10:39 p.m.

... eagerly awaiting Toyman's Fiero build thread ...

Huckleberry
Huckleberry MegaDork
9/30/17 11:00 p.m.

I do really like this plan - all the goodness is there but it's all headed in the wrong direction... plus I wouldn't want to do that on a challenge budget because it could actually be a really sweet mid-engined track day toy with the right middleware and a cage. Hmmmm. Anyone not buying that for $1000 that lives anywhere near the delivery route should seriously question their priorities.

Stored in the cobwebs of my mind for future silliness... I've got a new-to-me boat to figure out and a pile of other crap to sell.  

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
10/1/17 7:43 a.m.

In reply to Huckleberry :

I agree.  If I had a track, or the opportunity for a track day toy, I wouldn't be selling it.  I would take it past the Challenge budget and build it right.

But a lot can be done first on a Challenge budget.  That's what I was gonna do- Challenge it, sort it, then take it to the next level.  I just have to recognize that I may not be the right one to do it at this time.  It's hard- this is a project I intended to keep.  That's why I already moved it to SC.  But my new place isn't going to have the space for the stuff I'd like to keep, and I need to be realistic about my time.

Someone else may get the glory. smiley

Jaynen
Jaynen SuperDork
10/1/17 8:10 a.m.

If I was a bit mechanically prepared I would be all over it :P but SWMBO and my lack of knowledge would probably make this a dangerous endeavor for me haha. Great deal and exciting project tho.

Strike_Zero
Strike_Zero UltraDork
10/1/17 8:10 a.m.

I'm not questioning my priorities, but questioning my bank account. I wish the answers were more promising LOL!

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
10/1/17 9:02 a.m.
AngryCorvair said:

... eagerly awaiting Toyman's Fiero build thread ...

Me too! devil

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
10/1/17 9:10 a.m.

In reply to Toyman01 :

In fact, for you I will sweeten the deal...

Since I am the one who took it apart, once you get it back together to the point you feel comfortable, but want a little assistance finishing it off, I will come to your place and spend a day helping you do the final reconnections. 

You buy the beer, and give me a test drive once completed!  wink

ClemSparks
ClemSparks PowerDork
10/1/17 9:45 a.m.

For me this is one of those "I wish it was closer and I'm glad it's not" scenarios.  I'm not even remotely looking for a Fiero and I almost never bench build things with V6 power.  But this...this just seems right.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
JRAa70gU15juQwe9G8BueBML2571UN69jAdhAVjIjcwxrhxqI2lVVG5bYGVQlobD