turboHLS30
turboHLS30 Reader
7/14/11 12:45 p.m.

As the title says, I need a 280zx turbo motor (L28et) within Florida. I'm buying one with a blown head gasket, and I'd like to have a running one to put in my car and use the other for parts. Any help is appreciated

N Sperlo
N Sperlo HalfDork
7/14/11 1:33 p.m.

JDM swaps are a great option for those. But if you're stuck on the L28 you may find some through the jdm dealers. Some ship for a pretty low price.

turboHLS30
turboHLS30 Reader
7/14/11 2:35 p.m.

Idk, L28et's are 28 year old motors. I'm stuck the L28 because I bought all of my stuff for that motor already. Plus I'm building my Z for the Challenge, and I only have about $800 to spend on a motor, tires, entry fees, and hotel.

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair SuperDork
7/14/11 3:07 p.m.
turboHLS30 wrote: Idk, L28et's are 28 year old motors. I'm stuck the L28 because I bought all of my stuff for that motor already. Plus I'm building my Z for the Challenge, and I only have about $800 to spend on a motor, tires, entry fees, and hotel.

entry fees and hotel do not count against Challenge budget. get a job! get another job! sell plasma!

pete240z
pete240z SuperDork
7/14/11 3:58 p.m.
AngryCorvair wrote: sell plasma!

What exactly do I need to know about doing this........start a thread?

Karl La Follette
Karl La Follette Dork
7/14/11 4:08 p.m.

I looked we only have stock z , no turbo motors

turboHLS30
turboHLS30 Reader
7/14/11 4:08 p.m.
AngryCorvair wrote:
turboHLS30 wrote: Idk, L28et's are 28 year old motors. I'm stuck the L28 because I bought all of my stuff for that motor already. Plus I'm building my Z for the Challenge, and I only have about $800 to spend on a motor, tires, entry fees, and hotel.

entry fees and hotel do not count against Challenge budget. get a job! get another job! sell plasma!

I'm trying to do it all for under $2011, because that's all I have and getting a job isn't that easy

turboHLS30
turboHLS30 Reader
7/20/11 3:01 p.m.
Karl La Follette wrote: I looked we only have stock z , no turbo motors

Stock Z motors out of what year Z?

Any leads are appreciated

triumph5
triumph5 SuperDork
7/20/11 3:09 p.m.

Does anybody buy plasma anymore? I have some available.

evildky
evildky Dork
7/21/11 2:26 p.m.

the L28ET is a great motor, I got mine at a junkyard, I bought the whole car for like $450 (and one you start buying them they find you, I've bought a few fo these with the cheapest being $150 but had bad rings) and ran that 183k mile junkyard engine in my 03, 04 and 05 challange 240Z (came in 10th in 05) and raced taht car local with bigger turbo and more mods for another couple of years before I tanked it

and what exactly is wrong with the L28ET you have? you might simply look for an n/a bottom end if thats all you need, the F54 flat top is a polular option and raises the compression a bit

also keep an eye on the classifieds at hybridz, a lot of those guys are in or near florida

turboHLS30
turboHLS30 Reader
7/21/11 5:18 p.m.

Yea, the one that I have a chance to scoop up as 90k on it, but it's got a blown head gasket. Its been sitting for a while so I'm afraid it will need a trip to the machine shop. I found a P90a head to put onto my L24 (P30 block) for $125 if worst comes to worst. But I have everything I need,but the motor now.

Grassroots Motorsports Magazine

Subscribe Today

Also get your instant access to the digital edition of Grassroots Motorsports Magazine!

Learn More
ICRLXUgcND5GDhYd0iVnDPTIzr3MOSe7