belteshazzar
belteshazzar Dork
6/2/08 11:28 a.m.

What are the odds.

Oh well may as well ask... Anybody have a BMW M42 cylinder head they're not using?

I'm in Lincoln NE Thanks fellas. Daniel

Nomad
Nomad New Reader
6/3/08 4:04 p.m.

I have two but they are both cracked and the good one I have is in use. Good luck, I've just gone through that search!

belteshazzar
belteshazzar Dork
6/4/08 11:59 a.m.

I'm scared to death whatever I find will be cracked too.

How'd you break yours? Mine wasn't overheating or anything.

Nomad
Nomad New Reader
6/4/08 12:59 p.m.

plastic water pipe broke on the way home, quickly dumped coolant and overheated... pop.

I bought one off a guy and had it shipped to find out it was cracked. Got my money back except for the shipping though.

Good luck

belteshazzar
belteshazzar Dork
6/5/08 4:23 p.m.

I'm sure you know, but early models have metal pipes. maybe they retrofit?

mrhappy
mrhappy None
6/5/08 4:53 p.m.

I have an engine from a 91 is I pulled last year that ran and was rebuilt in the 90s.IM in Chattanooga TN if your interested.

belteshazzar
belteshazzar Dork
6/5/08 4:56 p.m.

uhhh. yeeeah! talk to me.

mrhappy
mrhappy New Reader
6/5/08 5:02 p.m.

$400 plus shipping for the whole thing I think it still has the trans on it.

belteshazzar
belteshazzar Dork
6/6/08 10:04 a.m.

Sounds very fair.

Getrag 240's just don't fail. To save on shipping I'd probably try to convince you to keep it.

Actually, let me ask the car's owner first, but that's what I anticipate.

I'll get back to you.

belteshazzar
belteshazzar Dork
6/10/08 2:46 p.m.
mrhappy wrote: $400 plus shipping for the whole thing I think it still has the trans on it.

separate head from the rest and take $300?

belteshazzar
belteshazzar Dork
6/13/08 3:39 p.m.

anybody know Mr. Happy to tell him to log back in?

16vCorey
16vCorey Dork
6/13/08 4:48 p.m.

Is there a website somewhere that lists the BMW engine letter/number designations? I might have one at the yard I work for, but I don't remember what an M42 is.

belteshazzar
belteshazzar Dork
6/13/08 4:55 p.m.

Thanks for asking.

1991 through 1995 318i motor. It's a little 1.8 liter twin cam engine. The bottom end is forged and totally indestructable. After 15 years, the heads will crack if the motor overheats one to many times. So you don't see many good heads that came off of bad blocks. Just a lot of complete engines for sale, which I'd take if it weren't for the crazy shipping.

TheLeech
TheLeech
6/16/08 8:30 a.m.

Belteshazzar,

Are you on a tight schedule? I have a 91 318is that I'm swapping an M50 into, but I haven't pulled the M42 yet. The previous owner destroyed the bottom end, but the head may be OK. I should have the M42 out by the end of the month. I'm in Kansas City, so shipping shouldn't be too bad or you could pick it up if it's cheaper to drive.

belteshazzar
belteshazzar Dork
6/16/08 10:55 a.m.

Thanks for the response TheLeech, Mr Happy did send me an email that he can get his M42 head off and sent in a week or so and I'll probably do that. Should it fall through I'll definitely get in touch with you.

shelbypruden
shelbypruden
8/9/08 3:42 a.m.

If you still need a m42 head drop me a line. resolvewithin@hotmail.com. I also sent you a pm regarding this.

Shelby Pruden Memphis, TN

belteshazzar
belteshazzar Dork
8/11/08 10:58 a.m.

found one for $180 shipped.

Unfortunately my machinist wanted another $300 to resurface everything and do the needed valvework :(. Aww well, at least it wasn't cracked.

Nomad
Nomad New Reader
8/12/08 12:48 a.m.

great price for the head, not so great for the machining What all is he doing to the valves?

My guy uninstalled the valvetrain, resurfaced the head, hot tanked and reinstalled the valvetrain all for a $70 deal.

I didn't have money for a super valve regrind etc though.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
6Sq5M8sTKfJLWjCN6jGU2zpP8DLLAA030gK3mKdmWxB7SkuITVK5LwZQWi8lKqST