Cactus Reader
March 9, 2017 9:08 p.m.

I'm looking for either a 12a or a 13b with a 5 speed I can swap into an old BMW. I want as complete an engine as I can get as cheap as I can manage, not that I'd turn away a bridgeported monster for close to what it's worth. Side draft carbs are always a plus. Needing a rebuild does not rule it out (I have a jar of Vaseline and I'm not afraid to use it).

The closer to Dayton, Ohio the better.

dd0480
dd0480 New Reader
March 9, 2017 9:51 p.m.

I have a 13B with the Rotary Engineering dual Weber 36DCD carb kit on it that's about to get pulled from my FB to sell the roller. I have an envelope of paperwork with rebuild info for it that I need to sort through, i never got around to doing that after buying the car. I was planning on keeping it for something not smart down the road, but could probably be convinced to sell it to let something not smart happen with it in the nearer future. A little far from OH though, I'm in Denver.

wvumtnbkr SuperDork
March 9, 2017 11:07 p.m.

I have a 13b s4 with all manifolds and electronics with a trans.

I actually have 2 of them...

Located near pittsburgh pa.

markwemple
markwemple UltraDork
March 10, 2017 9:07 a.m.

Any 12as out there should post. They are becoming rarer and my spec class mandates them.

Ranger50 UltimaDork
March 10, 2017 10:58 a.m.

Damn and all I want is a "cheap" 13b turbo....

March 10, 2017 12:29 p.m.

In reply to Ranger50:

Yea me too but since late January the price of them has increased 50%.

DeadSkunk UberDork
March 10, 2017 3:46 p.m.

Aussie Steve had several of them. He may happen along.

jamscal Dork
March 10, 2017 8:17 p.m.

I have a running driving 13b from my 1984 gsl-se on ebay right now. I'll take less. Still in car and I'm in Louisville...so a 3? hr drive. I'm going for a 5.3 swap.

youtube vid of it running

Knurled MegaDork
March 11, 2017 4:43 a.m.
markwemple wrote: Any 12as out there should post. They are becoming rarer and my spec class mandates them.

This. I gave away all of the rest of my 12A paraphernalia (mainly carburetors/manifolds and some headers) about ten years ago because the prospect of finding more 12As was very slim.

12As are a special problem because when they need rebuilding, they almost always need rotors and rotor housings. The rotors wear out and the rotor housings flake off before the seals are worn out, they seem to be the primary wear items. Which have been NLA for quite a long time.

wvumtnbkr SuperDork
March 11, 2017 7:38 a.m.

I have a 12a in good shape too. I am going to yank it out of my sa and put in 1 of my 13b.

markwemple
markwemple UltraDork
March 11, 2017 7:52 a.m.

How much for your 12a?

Cactus Reader
March 11, 2017 11:05 a.m.
jamscal wrote: I have a running driving 13b from my 1984 gsl-se on ebay right now. I'll take less. Still in car and I'm in Louisville...so a 3? hr drive. I'm going for a 5.3 swap. youtube vid of it running

That sounds like exactly what I need and not terribly far away. Do you want to sell the tranny with it?

I should have specified I'd rather have a 4 port than 6. I knew 12as weren't getting any more common, but I didn't know people were kinda desperate for them.

March 11, 2017 11:21 a.m.

If you need a trans I've got a smooth case trans that came with my RX3 I likely won't use.

I'm on the other side of PA so it's a bit of a haul. I'm crossing though Ohio on business in a couple of weeks if you're interested.

jamscal Dork
March 11, 2017 12:52 p.m.
Cactus wrote:
jamscal wrote: I have a running driving 13b from my 1984 gsl-se on ebay right now. I'll take less. Still in car and I'm in Louisville...so a 3? hr drive. I'm going for a 5.3 swap. youtube vid of it running

That sounds like exactly what I need and not terribly far away. Do you want to sell the tranny with it?

I should have specified I'd rather have a 4 port than 6. I knew 12as weren't getting any more common, but I didn't know people were kinda desperate for them.

Yes, trans can go too. email at jamscal-at-att-dotnet

You can come down and drive it...pull it same day if you'd like.

I have an overhead crane.

Cactus Reader
March 15, 2017 8:29 a.m.

After doing a little looking, looks like there's a whole bridgeported FB on racingjunk for about the cost of the engine rebuild kit and intake/header setup that I'd need to Bridgeport just an engine.

Anybody want to buy a FB roller?

Mazdax605 UltraDork
March 16, 2017 9:09 a.m.

I'd be interested in an FB roller. Clean? Location?

Cactus Reader
March 20, 2017 11:23 a.m.

In reply to Mazdax605:

Will be Dayton, OH. It's near Chicago now. Appears pretty clean. Couple bubbles in the front and behind the rear fenders, but solid underneath per the seller. Can deliver for round trip gas money within a few hours. I think I'll be fetching it this weekend.

Cactus Reader
March 26, 2017 4:18 a.m.

Long trip to chi-town and back in a slow, inefficient truck to not bring back an FB. It was not everything I hoped it would be. Started too easily, idled too nicely, didn't pull quite like I expected, and the tach was dead, so no idea what kind of power it really makes. Body was nice, offered what I felt was fair for what I thought it had, seller did not agree.

Edit: I found a turbo ii engine locally with 5 speed transmission but no intake or exhaust. It'll work for mock-up purposes, but I think it'll need a rebuild. Looks like there was some portwork done, but I can't determine to what extent without cracking it open.

You'll need to log in to post.

Also on Grassroots Motorsports

From the GRM Vault: Our First Drive of the Original BMW M3

2 hours ago in Articles

We tested BMW's E30-chassis M3 back in 1989. Here's what we thought.

Follow Us to the Nürburgring

4 days ago in News

Follow along as James Clay from BimmerWorld contests his first ADAC Zurich 24-Hour race at the Nürburgring.

Shark Bite: Back in 1997, Hyundai Was Into Rally

4 days ago in Articles

A Hyundai Tiburon as a rally car?

You Need This: Mazda RX-7 Turbo II Roller

4 days ago in News

What would you do with an empty RX-7 tub?

Great Moments in $2000 Challenge History: Minor Gasser

4 days ago in Articles

Here's what happens when you put a Chevy 350 in a Morris Minor.

What’s the Soonest That You Have Raced Your New Purchase?

5 days ago in News

This BMW M3 was wearing numbers 24 hours after getting registered.

You Need This: 2005 Lotus Elise

5 days ago in News

A Lotus Elise looks so right in British Racing Green.

2017 Mazda MX-5 RF

5 days ago in New Car Reviews

We're big fans of the Mazda MX-5. Now Mazda went and put a retractable fastback on their fourth-generation car. So, ...

Project Ramp Truck: Installing Sound Deadening

6 days ago in Project Cars

Time to cut down on heat and road noise making its way into the cab.

Eric Foss Sets Fastest Time Ever at the Tire Rack Ultimate Track Car Challenge

6 days ago in News

47 of the country's fastest cars battled it out for track supremacy.

Who Wants to Design the Next GRM T-Shirt?

6 days ago in News

Blipshift is involved, so you know that it will be cool.

Reader's Ride of the Week: Improving Upon the Ultimate Driving Machine

1 week ago in News

This E36-chassis M3 just keeps getting better.

OUR SPONSORS

Grassroots Motorsports Magazine

Subscribe Today

Also get your instant access to the digital edition of Grassroots Motorsports Magazine!

Learn More
pEF027V6scNB47ScWEdN13lZLdhKJRqt