eastsidemav
eastsidemav SuperDork
1/9/17 8:29 p.m.

Since I want ditch A/C and power steering from my challenge truck project, I'm not sure how the serpentine belt setup will work, unless I jerry rig a few idler pulleys into the system. Instead, it seems to make sense to simplify, and backdate to a v-belt setup. Only problem is junkyards near me don't tend to have older cars that I could pull it from.

Does anyone have a crank pulley, water pump pulley, alternator pulley (or entire alternator), and alternator brackets for a small block chevy they'd be willing to let go of cheaply?

patgizz
patgizz GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
1/9/17 9:48 p.m.

Yes. Message me

stan_d
stan_d Dork
1/10/17 5:30 a.m.

I would be interested in serpentine setup for my challenge car. I also have v belt setup.

stan_d
stan_d Dork
1/10/17 5:39 a.m.

Challenge car parts swap should be a non budget hit.

eastsidemav
eastsidemav SuperDork
1/10/17 7:46 a.m.

In reply to patgizz:

Sent you a message

In reply to stan_d:

I suspect you won't want the pieces off the S10, as some of the tensioners seem to be in pretty bad shape. Do you want me to check in with you when I get the engine out of the donor vehicle?

stan_d
stan_d Dork
1/10/17 8:44 a.m.

If it's for 4.3 I want it I am putting ac in after challenge I will just make a delete pully.

eastsidemav
eastsidemav SuperDork
1/10/17 8:56 a.m.

The S10 is a 4.3, the donor is a 305.

RealMiniParker
RealMiniParker UberDork
1/10/17 9:10 a.m.

You're aware that 4.3 and SBC accessory drives are interchangeable, right?

stan_d
stan_d Dork
1/10/17 9:56 a.m.

I am that's why I want them I am using a 350 .

eastsidemav
eastsidemav SuperDork
1/10/17 10:07 a.m.

Yeah, the main difference I think in the two setups is the truck doesn't appear to have a smog pump. Not sure if it was removed before I got it, or if it never had one.

Pat, My message got bounced back to me - I'm guessing the GRM server doesn't like yahoo mail. My email address is central_command AT Yahoo dot com

patgizz
patgizz GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
1/10/17 3:14 p.m.

Chevylumina at gmail.

I have several of both setups

Cousin_Eddie
Cousin_Eddie Reader
1/10/17 3:53 p.m.
eastsidemav wrote: Yeah, the main difference I think in the two setups is the truck doesn't appear to have a smog pump. Not sure if it was removed before I got it, or if it never had one. Pat, My message got bounced back to me - I'm guessing the GRM server doesn't like yahoo mail. My email address is central_command AT Yahoo dot com

Having a smog pump is hit or miss on those bracket setups. All of the trucks in the earlier serpentine years had the cavity but only some of the trucks had smog pumps installed into the cavity. Typically the 2.73 and 3.08 trucks had smog pumps and the 3.42 and 3.73 trucks did not. The difference was operating RPM and it's effect on emissions calibration. In 94 when I was working line repair at a GM dealer, I saw trucks all day with the empty cavity where a smog pump would go. It really looked goofy in my opinion. I guess GM saved cash by only using one bracket for all calibrations of truck. It made life hard for folks down the road because your average booger picking state inspector doesn't understand this and they want to fail you on inspection when they see that empty cavity for a smog pump.

To clean them up I usually go grab a bracket off of a bit later truck. After the first few years, none of the trucks got smog pumps anymore so GM designed a nicer bracket.

Here is a comparison shot between a 92 model (smog pump cavity) and a 94 model (sexy and streamlined) bracket. They directly interchange.

At my local junkyard the brackets are ten bucks each so I like to splurge for the tidier appearance. It's worth it to me.

Cousin_Eddie
Cousin_Eddie Reader
1/10/17 4:02 p.m.

I forgot to add, beware of the 4.3 to small block bracket swap. It can have a couple of little issues that internet lore doesn't ever acknowledge.

First, some of the 4.3s had a thinner harmonic balancer than small blocks. Therefore the crank pulley was correspondingly deeper to compensate for the thinner balancer. If you install one of those pulleys onto a small block the grooves will be too far out and won't line up true to the belt.

Second, the steel support rods that go off of the back of the brackets and bolt to the intake manifold. The bosses were cast in relatively different places on the V6 manifold than the small block manifold. Therefore the support rods will be the wrong length to bolt to the V8 manifold bosses.

These aren't "always" things. GM made subtle differences through the years. I've done the V6 brackets onto V8 swap a number of times. Sometimes it's a direct swap. Other times I had to just change the support rods for the correct ones. And a few times I had to change the crank pulley and support rods both.

Also, FYI, the ribbed serpentine power steering pulley will press directly onto the old V belt pump. You do not have to change your power steering pump when converting from long water pump v belt to serpentine setup. All you really need is the pulley.

eastsidemav
eastsidemav SuperDork
1/20/17 4:19 p.m.

Pat, I emailed you a bit earlier today.

Stan, I've pulled the brackets and pulleys from the 4.3 Any chance you'll be anywhere near Cincy in the near future?

stan_d
stan_d Dork
1/22/17 10:04 p.m.

Driving through for the mitty.

gearheadmb
gearheadmb Dork
1/24/17 2:43 p.m.

You probably already know this, but i didnt see it mentioned so i will throw it out here. If you are going from serpentine to vbelt you will need to replace the water pump with one from a vbelt vehicle. Otherwise if you leave the serp WP on it will be spinning backwards.

Edit Oh, and if you cant find the parts youre looking for i probably have some. Im about an hour north of dayton.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
I2ScbboZlwEKsrzyR9dRXqL7kb24qYNHtMumef3EfeSVYVHQhV5S0dwc1MEOq3qj