Ashyukun HalfDork
Dec. 17, 2013 8:17 a.m.

Finally making some slow forward progress on the El Camino, and unfortunately confirmed what I'd feared: the stock valve covers won't work with the new roller-rockers & their polylocks. So, I need a set of tall valve covers for Vortec (center-bolt) heads and am hoping someone here has some for a more Challenge-friendly price than ordering them new. Thanks!

Gearheadotaku UberDork
Dec. 17, 2013 2:23 p.m.

I believe spacers are out there for those. Adapters for using old style covers on center bolt heads exist too.

Ashyukun HalfDork
Dec. 18, 2013 9:04 a.m.
Gearheadotaku wrote: I believe spacers are out there for those. Adapters for using old style covers on center bolt heads exist too.

And both cost as much (or more) than simply buying a set of new tall valve covers from what I've found so far...

81cpcamaro HalfDork
Dec. 18, 2013 9:48 a.m.

Check the local circle tracks, maybe you can find a used set from one of the racers.

How much more room do you need? Sometimes you can double up the gaskets and get a little more room. Just glue the two gaskets together.

Ashyukun HalfDork
Dec. 18, 2013 10:08 a.m.

I'll have to check and see when the next swap meet for the Bluegrass Raceway is- I picked up a few of the shocks and a carb adapter for the Camino at the last one, but wasn't looking at valve covers because I wasn't that far along. The Boonesborough Nationals swap meet should be coming up soon as well, and they are supposed to have a lot of good stuff too.

At a guess, somewhere between 1/2" to 1"- the gap between the bottom of the stock ones and the cylinder head is around 1/2" or so when the cover is resting on the rockers/polylocks, so I figure having a bit more on top of that would be wise.

I'm probably going to have to end up just getting a new set for about $75 so I can get the thing running and mobile and keep an eye out for a Challenge-priced solution...

Gearheadotaku UberDork
Dec. 19, 2013 7:12 a.m.

buy a second set of regular covers, cut tops off 1st set and splice together somehow?

914Driver MegaDork
Dec. 19, 2013 8:00 a.m.

Speedway says they are 1/4 - 20. Just buy longer bolts with an attractive head.

http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Bolts-for-Tall-Centerbolt-Chevy-Valve-Covers,33066.html?utm_medium=CSE&utm_source=CSEGoogle&utm_campaign=CSEGOOGLE&CAWELAID=1271968222&catargetid=530009170000006315&cadevice=c&cagpspn=pla&gclid=CKzot5G5vLsCFaTm7Aod4R0AAw

914Driver MegaDork
Dec. 19, 2013 8:12 a.m.

How about an extension?

Ashyukun HalfDork
Dec. 19, 2013 9:40 a.m.

I actually have several sets of valve covers... if I had a better setup I could in theory cut each set in a different place and weld them together to make taller ones- that is something to consider since I could essentially make those for free or close to it for the Challenge. Don't have a welding setup myself yet though, and would probably want to make sure I had a few extra sets in case we messed one up, so I'll probably still go ahead and get the eBay ones and see about fabbing my own set up down the line.

914Driver MegaDork
Dec. 19, 2013 10:02 a.m.

1/4 - 20 threaded rod cut to length and add a nice stainless acorn nut on top.

72" = $4.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Crown-Bolt-1-4-in-x-72-in-Zinc-Threaded-Rod-17430/202183484?cm_mmc=shopping--googleads--pla-_-202183484&skwcid&kwd=&ci_sku=202183484&ci_kw=&ci_gpa=pla&ci_src=17588969

Ashyukun HalfDork
Dec. 19, 2013 10:53 a.m.
914Driver wrote: 1/4 - 20 threaded rod cut to length and add a nice stainless acorn nut on top. 72" = $4. http://www.homedepot.com/p/Crown-Bolt-1-4-in-x-72-in-Zinc-Threaded-Rod-17430/202183484?cm_mmc=shopping-_-googleads-_-pla-_-202183484&skwcid&kwd=&ci_sku=202183484&ci_kw=&ci_gpa=pla&ci_src=17588969

Sure, that lets me attach the existing valve covers- but it leaves a non-trivial gap (but let's face it- when it comes to keeping dirt and crap out of the valvetrain and oil, ANY gap is non-trivial...) between the bottom of the stock valve covers and the cylinder heads. The fasteners aren't my problem- the covers themselves are...

Gearheadotaku UberDork
Dec. 19, 2013 3:30 p.m.

Weld? Pop rivets and RTV !

oldopelguy SuperDork
Dec. 19, 2013 5:55 p.m.

Several sets? All you need are the flanges.

valve cover

gasket

valve cover flange

gasket

valve cover flange

gasket

head

You'll need to log in to post.

Also on Grassroots Motorsports

Your Projects: Wide-Body, V8-Powered Porsche 944

32 minutes ago in News

Wing, flares, V8 swap and more!

You Need This: Eclipse!

35 minutes ago in News

Today's special.

Your Projects: Boosted and Flared E30 BMW

2 hours ago in News

Another forum member put it best: “This build is absolutely mental. And I mean that in the best possible way.”

You Need This: 1990 Suzuki Carry 4WD Mini-Truck

4 hours ago in News

It looks cool, matches our cargo shorts, and makes little sense.

Concours d’Lemons: Showcasing the Best of the Worst and the Worst of the Best

4 hours ago in Articles

This year’s Concours d’Lemons celebrated two cars rarely associated with the glitz and glamor of Monterey.

You Need This: Gullwing Doors and Exotic Styling for Just $1500

6 hours ago in News

Meet some brown ’70s awesomeness.

Acura Unveils New Prototype Race Car in Monterey

2 days ago in News

Acura yesterday unveiled the new Acura ARX-05 prototype race car.

We're Back In Monterey for Car Week

2 days ago in News

And so it begins, another trip to Monterey Car Week.

Mark Your Calendars: August 18 Is Wear Your Helmet to Work Day

3 days ago in News

Wear your racing gear to work and win prizes.

You Need This: A Real 1LE Camaro

3 days ago in News

Chevy only built 62 1LE Camaros that year.

Little Car Show: Celebrating All Things Quirky and Small

4 days ago in Articles

As the name suggests, the Little Car Show is all about little cars.

Concours d’Lemons to Ruin Monterey Car Week Yet Again

4 days ago in News

What started as the anti-concours has transformed into a major event on the Monterey Car Week schedule.

OUR SPONSORS

Grassroots Motorsports Magazine

Subscribe Today

Also get your instant access to the digital edition of Grassroots Motorsports Magazine!

Learn More
v9F33YFj1GbVPURHFx4lpnyWpxyHUFtM