petegans
petegans New Reader
3/9/16 9:12 p.m.

A little over a week ago I took a brief trip to Los Angeles to visit friends and family, snap some photos, and escape the dreaded Chicago Winter for a few days. With no solid plans set for Monday last week, I decided around 10 AM (when morning traffic is somewhat-cleared) to hop in my 2012 Mazda 3 rental (rented via Turo) and travel from where I was staying in Redondo Beach to LaCanada-Flintridge where Angeles Crest Highway begins.

Traffic was easy and once I got past downtown Los Angeles I began climbing, slowly but surely, into the San Gabriel Mountains.

I snapped the following photos along Angeles Crest Highway and up to Mount Wilson, 5,700ish feet above sea level.

From on top of Mt. Wilson itself. Notice the mountain tops in the distant haze.

This was my mighty steed:

I held back and didn't try to push the car's limits. It was a rental, automatic, and I was driving it in an unfamiliar place. The car was incredibly fun though; the independent rear suspension did great at keeping the car glued-down through the corners and torquey 2.5 liter engine was excellent at pulling it out of them. While the 3 was pretty quick, the entire time I kept thinking it would be 10-times more fun in my 2 with its sticky Summer rubber, aftermarket suspension and manual gearbox.

My main objective was to enjoy some corners and stop periodically to snap some photos and just hang out and enjoy the view. Mission accomplished. It's phenomenally beautiful up there, and looking back I should've devoted more time to exploring other roads and thoroughly enjoying all of the amazing views that the San Gabriel Mountains have to offer. I definitely need to return in the not-too-terribly-distant-future, preferably with my own Mazda 2 as it would be an absolute blast through all the tight stuff and make the experience so much more memorable.

itsarebuild
itsarebuild GRM+ Memberand Dork
3/10/16 9:36 a.m.

Nice.

GPz11
GPz11 New Reader
3/10/16 10:02 a.m.

Cool, nice pics but you have to admit, our winter has been pretty tame this year.

petegans
petegans New Reader
3/10/16 10:12 a.m.

In reply to itsarebuild:

Thanks!

In reply to GPz11:

Thanks! This is true, it really hasn't been all that bad, especially in contrast to the last 2 Winters.

edizzle89
edizzle89 HalfDork
3/16/16 3:02 p.m.

after traveling to that area for work several times last year the Angeles Crest Hwy was probably my favorite of all the drives i went on.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
IWdPDPPZGyFjR8P0IteTcmD2vmfxqf5eT7P4BjlP58r0nzKQaVuqIY0Q3k84g9aT