pinchvalve
pinchvalve SuperDork
7/7/10 4:25 p.m.

OK, so I have a pretty good collection of CRC products. (Good stuff AND a GRM advertiser/supporter). So my question is, how much care do I need to take with brake cleaner? I keep the garage door open, and usually have rubber gloves on, but that stuff really stinks and cuts through a lot of crud. Should I be more careful?

ansonivan
ansonivan HalfDork
7/8/10 10:23 a.m.

Which kind of brake cleaner? The flammable or non-flammable?

I use the flammable variety at work and I share your concern, I do take precautions with gloves and ventilation but I'm still coming into contact with fumes and splash back.

wbjones
wbjones Dork
7/8/10 7:01 p.m.

don't weld after using it....

benzbaron
benzbaron HalfDork
7/8/10 7:10 p.m.

There was a story not too long ago about people who work on brakes day in and out getting sick from the chemicals in brake cleaner. I think it was either xylene or toluene that was getting accumulated and making people sick.

If the smell is really strong I would wear a mask for painting. Compared to medical bills a 20-30$ paint mask is cheap. You want to limit your exposure to the VOCs in solvents as much as possible.

DrBoost
DrBoost Dork
7/8/10 10:22 p.m.

Funny, I never worried about the stuff in all the years I wrenched. I would actually do a quick hand wash sometimes if my hands were nasty and I had to drive a customers car right now. I don't do that any more. But I still don't worry about opening the doors and such. Now, about that third nipple showing up lately..........

pinchvalve
pinchvalve SuperDork
7/9/10 3:22 p.m.

I should mention that CRC has safety instructions on the label and they should be followed, but you know how it is when you want to quickly blast something off...

SkinnyG
SkinnyG Reader
7/9/10 3:45 p.m.

I've been using Brākleen for years. I hardly twitch at all.....

16vCorey
16vCorey SuperDork
7/15/10 4:16 p.m.
wbjones wrote: don't weld after using it....

Been there, done that, set my basement on fire for a minute or two.

One day at an auto-x, my car died and wouldn't restart. I thought it was a fuel issue, but wanted to make sure by shooting a little starting fluid (or a reasonable facsimile) into it, and see if it fired. After searching, no one had any starting fluid, but one of the guys handed me a can of brakleen. Squirted some in there, and nothing! I was sure it was a fuel issue! Oh well, back to the drawing board....wait a minute...this is non-flammable brakleen! That was the first time I had seen such a thing.

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo SuperDork
7/16/10 4:02 p.m.
wbjones wrote: don't weld after using it....

Yeah, phosgene gas is not good stuff...

http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/grm/how-to-almost-kill-yourself-with-brake-cleaner/12352/page1/

digdug18
digdug18 HalfDork
7/17/10 10:48 a.m.

Now, i try to buy whatever has the most warning on the label, they clean alot better, though, I roll my work outside when I need to use the stuff.

Our Preferred Partners
mdCtt2Dc5Gycg1FiCtk9ZEh8PUzzcDLSGCjZVOKsKRiDF4DKwsr9fk6naPM6FEoD