scottdawson
scottdawson New Reader
8/12/14 10:09 p.m.

Hello all,

The ECU in my 1994 honda civic del Sol is acting up, according to my mechanic it is "not grounding" which results in the car not starting.

Does anyone know a shop that works on ECU's? I am hoping to find one that can look at my original ECU, diagnose the problem and fix it.

Good news is that my mechanic eventually managed to find a replacement ECU, this one says "TR or TRM Motorsports" on it. Is anyone familiar with this group? Or better yet, know how to contact them so I can ask if they "tuned" it in any way?

The car now starts fine but runs sluggishly, I immediately noticed a dramatic drop in acceleration from a stop. At first I thought one of the disc brakes was not releasing completely. The mpg dropped from 30 mpg (highway+local driving) to around 25 mpg. Odd thing is that I can hear the VTEC engaging at 5700 rpm, and once the rpm's start climbing after this point the car starts to accelerate more "normally". My mechanic is guessing that the car is --always-- running on the second Cam shaft, instead of running on the smaller cam until the VTEC engagement point.

Basically, I want to fix the original ECU and put it back in!

Any help will be appreciated - Scott D. in Seattle, WA

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt UberDork
8/20/14 7:47 a.m.

Xenocron Tuning was the first place that comes to mind for repairing Honda ECUs. Of course, you can still find stock examples of these ECUs for around $100.

The only TRM I'm aware of is The Racer's Market - a place near me that does BMW tuning. Probably not the right company.

scottdawson
scottdawson New Reader
9/5/14 10:15 p.m.

Thanks for the tip MadScientistMatt,

I will contact them. - Scott

Sad news is that I got rear ended on a metered on ramp. The drivers, dad's insurance (Metropolitan) is claiming that the car is "totaled". They are offering me ~ $3400 and I can keep the car, or ~ $4200 and they take the car...

What would you suggest?

BTW, ecu's for the 1994 B16A3 are --hard-- to find.

I feel confident that I can sell the car to a salvage yard for more than $800. Funny thing (tic) is that I cannot find --any-- del Sol's from 1994 with this engine for sale.

Not one.

The seats are in great condition... only the rear bumper and license plate surround are damaged... - Scott

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt UberDork
9/8/14 8:45 a.m.

Sorry, I had read that as a D16. You could, however, put a D16 ECU in there reflashed with a B16 tune. I suspect this may be what that TRM outfit is doing.

digdug18
digdug18 Dork
9/9/14 4:39 p.m.

It would depend if you kept the car, would the car then have a salvage title, thus destroying it's sales value.

Andrew

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
wseJ3FdI0RP9deiTdJ4jTtDfZ6spHn2RktbDIDQPwXRL0ZX5rKIOmBw3G5D4Pt3q