1 2
gearheadshirts
gearheadshirts Reader
7/23/12 9:37 a.m.

Born from jets and whatnot.

What do you think? I'm still in the design phase so I'd love any feedback you can give that isn't "don't do a saab shirt" or "do this saab instead" or "I don't like blue".

:)

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
7/23/12 9:39 a.m.

OT: I just got my MR2 shirt and I love it. The XL is an actual XL, not a juniors XL or slim-fit XL...a real XL that fits me. Love it.

(the design is real cool and all that too)

gearheadshirts
gearheadshirts Reader
7/23/12 9:47 a.m.

Thanks pinch! That's what we shoot for. A real shirt that fits real people that hopefully won't shrink. It seems that shrinkage depends on the fabric color sometimes. We haven't printed any other shirts on that color before so let us know if it starts shrinking after a few washes. It shouldn't shrink too far though.. only just enough to make you feel like you are getting slightly larger and you should maybe go for a walk :)

DILYSI Dave
DILYSI Dave MegaDork
7/23/12 9:52 a.m.

S197 Mustang shirt please. :)

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand UberDork
7/23/12 9:54 a.m.

I don't like the blue .

Actually, I do like the shirt - I'll have one if you put it in production as the Saab 99 was my first car.

gearheadshirts
gearheadshirts Reader
7/23/12 5:39 p.m.

Bump. I'm baffled that there has literally been NO negative feedback on this post or over on our facebook page. Doesn't anyone have anything constructively negative to say about it? :)

92CelicaHalfTrac
92CelicaHalfTrac MegaDork
7/23/12 5:41 p.m.

I'd rather see an SPG on there, but i certainly understand the choice of the 99.

That's about as constructive as it'll get i think. It's a solid well thought out design.

procainestart
procainestart Dork
7/23/12 8:53 p.m.

I got your constructively negative comments right here:

Most people who are into 99s know that, in fact, Saabs were not born from jets; they were actually born from prop planes (see logo, below), so putting a 99T with a Viggen is a bit incongruous. (I may be wrong, but I believe Saab didn't incorporate jets into their marketing until the 80s, and it wasn't until GM owned them in the 90s that the Born from Jets ad campaign was concocted.)

Old Saab logo with twin-engined prop plane:

Also, it looks like you're using a European model 99, with the square headlights that were never available here in the States and which most 99 fans believe don't look nearly as good as the US-only four-headlight set-up. (Saab used the US lights for their rally cars; for this reason, a full US 99 grille/light kit can fetch ~$400 on eBay, after which it is promptly shipped to Europe).

Personally, as a former 99 owner and current 900 nutjob, I think the car image would be more appropriately contrasted with an image of a turbocharger (99s used T3s, IIRC, with external wastegates); the "Inca" wheels are also pretty iconic for that model, so you might go with that, too. Or just do the car alone. If you go that route, find an image of a car that had the "Turbo" graphics on the side (see below); I think it'd have some more punch as an image on a shirt than a car without it.

You could also use a turbo gauge, but you'll want to be sure to use one that is period-correct:

If you decide to go this route and can't find a good image online, I have a friend with a 99T who may have a good quality photo to share.

You'll want to use an image of a hatchback only -- only a handful of (press-only) 99 Turbos came to the U.S. in sedan, a.k.a. "notchback" configuration; the rest were Euro-only.

Finally, if you're going to sell a blue shirt with monochrome image, consider going with yellow, cuz, um, blue + yellow = Swedish. Saab geeks like that.

gearheadshirts
gearheadshirts Reader
7/23/12 9:06 p.m.

Fine advice! Here's what I'll take out of it. I like the quad headlight piece.. I liked those better as well in my searching but I found the angle I wanted in the euro headlight model so I went with it. I'll keep looking and find a quad light model, preferably with the turbo decal.

The jet thing.. I'm keeping. Because frankly.. I like that jet more than I like the car :) Thanks for the lesson on that though, a very interesting fact that I'll likely share on the product page once it's up for sale.

At least the Draken was being manufactured and used during the time when 99s were for sale... I'm going to call that enough of a connection for me since so many non-saab fans like the design.

gearheadshirts
gearheadshirts Reader
7/24/12 12:30 a.m.

Here we are.. USDM headlights abound!

Though the angle of this car isn't as good.. I do like the quad lights. I think this will do it. Shirt should go on presale tomorrow night.

rallymodeller
rallymodeller New Reader
7/24/12 2:15 a.m.

Draken -- powered by Volvo. Had to say it.

Powar
Powar Dork
7/24/12 8:51 a.m.

I own a 99 and I agree with everything Procaine had to say about the lights, jet and color scheme.

I'll buy one anyway, and I'll spread the link to like-minded people.

If you can get this released before the beginning of next month, I'll wear mine to the Saab Owner's Convention.

gearheadshirts
gearheadshirts Reader
7/24/12 9:30 a.m.

I'll have it for presale tonight but we won't have the shirts in hand for probably a month. If you buy during the presale you get free US shipping though :) When is the owners convention? I'd definitely think about trying to hit that date especially if someone on a forum wanted to do a group buy and just hand them out at the convention.

Powar
Powar Dork
7/24/12 11:19 a.m.
gearheadshirts wrote: I'll have it for presale tonight but we won't have the shirts in hand for probably a month. If you buy during the presale you get free US shipping though :) When is the owners convention? I'd definitely think about trying to hit that date especially if someone on a forum wanted to do a group buy and just hand them out at the convention.

The convention starts next Friday, August 3. I'd be happy to assist with a group buy if you're interested, but I realize that the time constraints probably wouldn't allow it to work.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic UltimaDork
7/24/12 11:30 a.m.

I love that shirt. You will be getting money when it starts the presale.

gearheadshirts
gearheadshirts Reader
7/24/12 11:36 a.m.

Yeah.. no way we get them by the 3rd sadly. I'm always open to the prospectcs of group buys in the future though.. if you ever want to set one up for a local club meet or something do let me know. I always like shipping one big box vs 50 separate packages :) This shirt.. if ordered in a quantity over 50.. would be $12 per shirt and the shipping of the big box is free. These will sell on our site for $17 so you can save local folks $5 per shirt. We can also talk about adding something on the back to make it more specific to a local club but that raises the price by a dollar or so depending on what it is.

If you want to talk about it just go to www.gearheadshirts.com and use the feedback link on the right of the site.

gearheadshirts
gearheadshirts Reader
7/25/12 12:14 a.m.

http://gearheadshirts.com/products/472087-saab-99-turbo-shirt

Up for presale now. Just $17 with free US shipping during the presale. Here's the final design:

50 in this presale so either we sell our quota or the presale ends next tuesday then we order the shirts. Either way you should get in early to make sure you get free shipping and women's sizes if you need them. We tend not to order ladies sizes if we don't have to because they don't really sell.

JoeyM
JoeyM SuperDork
7/25/12 2:42 a.m.

BTW, I just checked the site again and saw the thumbnail of this

http://gearheadshirts.com/products/267382-myown-garage-sticker-2-pack
I was very excited because I thought you had the "Fabricated in MY OWN GARAGE" stickers for locost guys. Then I clicked on the link, saw what it actually was, and gave out a sad little sigh. cool, but not as cool as what I was imagining.

gearheadshirts
gearheadshirts Reader
7/25/12 7:35 a.m.

I can very easily add "fabricated" above MYOWN.. and change the wording around the outside. I'll make another post here on GRM and we can work on that.

Powar
Powar Dork
7/25/12 8:52 a.m.

Just pre-ordered. I'll pass the link around, too.

gearheadshirts
gearheadshirts Reader
7/25/12 8:53 a.m.

Thanks Powar! Nice 95 in your pic. I almost had my hands on one a couple of months back.. twas very clean.. just a TAD pricey. I still really want one though.

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand UberDork
7/25/12 9:00 a.m.

Ordered.

I was trying to pre-order and with both Chrome and Safari on Mac OS, I add the shirt to my order but when I try to check out, Storenvy tells me that my shopping cart is empty. Finally worked using Firefox, but you might want to drop them an email about this issue. BTW, all browsers are on their current version.

gearheadshirts
gearheadshirts Reader
7/25/12 9:06 a.m.

Damned storenvy.. I want to switch to shopify but I don't have the time right now. I'll give them hell about it. Thanks!

gearheadshirts
gearheadshirts Reader
7/26/12 8:23 p.m.

http://gearheadshirts.com/products/472087-saab-99-turbo-shirt over halfway done with the presale! 26 sold 24 to go. Get yours with free US shipping before time is up.

gearheadshirts
gearheadshirts Reader
8/1/12 9:39 a.m.

Shirts are off of presale and have been ordered. Ordered plenty extra though and they're still just $17.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
8nWqoZoqj9nOvEYzySBftN9degDbCELgml45VaceUHsRXZKHU6rbuxV9unHzle31