Keith
Keith GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
10/21/10 11:26 a.m.

My latest Miata book will be hitting the shelves soon, and I'm pretty excited about this one. It's a much more technical book than my previous ones.

How To Build a High Performance Mazda Miata will give you the knowledge you need to modify your Miata to your goals. For example, the suspension section starts off with the theory of weight transfer and how it affects your car. Then you'll learn what each part of the suspension does and how they all interact. Finally you`ll learn what to adjust and how in order to reach your goals. All the systems of the car are addressed in this way, giving you a good solid technical understanding of what's going on instead of just a list of parts you need to buy. Since it's so heavy on the theory and technical aspect, a lot of it will apply to any car although there is still lots of Miata-specific setup info. All Miatas from 1990 to the newest 2011 are covered.

One of the chapters - Handling Theory - is available as a free download so you can get an idea of what's inside.

How does it compare to my other Miata books?
Performance Projects is a how-to book. If you want to know how to install those sway bars, this is where you go. It's a good companion to the new one.
Find It, Fix It, Trick It has a corny title and should have been called Miata 101. It covers the history and ongoing development of the 1990-05 models along with a buyer's guide, driving impressions and full specs along with annual changes. If you're just getting in to Miatas or considering it, this is the one to have.

Available anywhere fine literature is sold, such as Amazon, big box bookstores, feisty independents and - the only place you can buy signed copies - Flyin' Miata. It should hit the shelves in November 2010.

Table of contents:
- the philosophy of modification (how to build a successful modified car)
- engine (whats going on in there?) - intake and exhaust (getting air in and out) - forced induction (putting your Miata under pressure) - fuel and engine management (modern hotrodding) - clutch, transmission and rear end (getting the power to the wheels) - handling theory (so, just whats going on when you`re cornering?)
- suspension (what do all these parts do?)
- suspension tuning (how do I set all these parts up?)
- the braking system (make it stop!)
- wheels and tires (make it stock)
- body and chassis (chassis rigidity, aerodynamics, weight loss)
- safety gear (protect yourself)
- engine swaps (from V8s to rotaries)

Tom Heath
Tom Heath Webmaster
10/21/10 2:25 p.m.

Way to go, Keith!

Thanks for posting the link to the sample, I can't wait to read the whole book.

Joe Gearin
Joe Gearin Associate Publisher
10/22/10 9:26 a.m.

Congrats Keith!

(starts shopping for a 1st gen Miata.....)

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ifujHEWG8a2LKvDd3N0Uo9LNK2ntXZQYNdrkiKLjLs6IBF0easEtrIt6NH9ATlK6