Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/16/17 2:03 p.m.

This doesn't happen very often.

We're happy to announce that the next generation of Flyin' Miata engine management is here! Meet the FM221.

The FM221 is built for us by Motorsports Electronics in the UK. We've developed a unique specification that gives you everything needed for maximum functionality and control - and of course, only Flyin' Miata offers FM's legendary lifetime support. We added a few features that we consider to be required for a good ECU instead of extra-cost upgrades and we've worked hard with ME to add features to the software and get the base calibration fine-tuned to our satisfaction.

One of the big advantages: it fits inside the stock case! This is important for some race series. And of course, it comes with Flyin' Miata's unparalleled lifetime tuning support for the original owner.

Introductory price of $999 until Feb 14th.

And yes, we offer the FM II with the same ECU. With the special pricing, you can get an FM II for only $5099.

Full details at the links below.

FM221 for 1990-93
FM221 for 1994-97
FM221 for 1999-05

clutchsmoke
clutchsmoke SuperDork
1/16/17 10:22 p.m.

That's a great idea/product/ECU. You guys have been working towards this for a while, right?

Keith Tanner
1/16/17 11:23 p.m.

A long time. Two years, maybe?

NordicSaab
NordicSaab HalfDork
1/17/17 8:14 a.m.

Is the main delta between this and a MSPNP the exterior dimensions or are there other features I'm missing?

Keith Tanner
1/17/17 11:52 a.m.

FM support is a massive feature difference. And don't even think about comparing it to the old MS2, this is more similar to the MS3 Pro in terms of power and features.

I'll get Jeremy to give me a full rundown of the specification differences. But the biggest one is that support and the fact that we are treating it like a Miata-specific ECU and not a generic ECU that happens to fit Miatas. Lots more work on the difficult corners of the tuning, such as cold start, AC compensation, etc. The stuff you need on a street car.

PeteD
PeteD GRM+ Memberand New Reader
1/17/17 12:25 p.m.

This is great news & very relevant to my interests --> looking to upgrade to a stand-alone ECU for my SC'ed '93 ... can't wait to hear the additional details ...

Keith Tanner
1/17/17 12:36 p.m.

I spoke to Jeremy. The FM221 and the MS3 Pro are very similar on spec.

NordicSaab
NordicSaab HalfDork
1/17/17 4:29 p.m.

Just ordered one

cmcgregor
cmcgregor Dork
1/19/17 11:59 a.m.

Hi Keith

I know you somewhat addressed this on m.net, but how hard would it be to get this running using the stock AFM on a '92? STS rules require all stock sensors, so no MAP and no changing the TPS either. The stock on-board baro sensor is a bit of a grey area as well.

Keith Tanner
1/19/17 1:33 p.m.

The FM221 does not have an on-board baro sensor, so that's handled.

We're looking into the requests for AFM code. It's not something we anticipated. I suspect you could remove the then-unused on-board MAP sensor if you've got people that obsessed. Given that we didn't know there was interest in an ECU running an AFM until early this week, I don't have solid answers quite yet

singleslammer
singleslammer PowerDork
1/19/17 2:44 p.m.

Yet another reason to look for an old Miata to play with. Looks killer.

cmcgregor
cmcgregor Dork
1/19/17 5:31 p.m.

Thanks for the response! ST* rules are.....interesting. Currently, they require either a piggyback or a replacement that fits in the stock case. In competition, you can only use the OEM sensors - the reason I say that the Baro sensor is a bit of a grey area is that when you replace the ECU, you're technically removing that sensor since it's on the stock ECU. You also can't replace the TPS, which on the NA6 is not variable. Current tuning solutions are pretty intimidating to this complete tuning noob, so if this turns out to be relatively straightforward I think you'd find some buyers for that application.

Keith Tanner
1/19/17 5:50 p.m.

The 1.6 stock ECU has an onboard barometric pressure sensor? That doesn't sound familiar. Are you sure about that?

I know about the 1.6 TPS - or the lack therof. Really, it's an idle switch. You can make an FM221 work with it if you want and are required to do so by class regulations.

cmcgregor
cmcgregor Dork
1/19/17 6:20 p.m.

Sure? No. There are references to it in several threads on STS legal tuning solutions, and we all know how reliable the internet is as a source of information. Glad to hear the FM221 will work. Now the question is, do I order it now and explain to the wife later, or wait until tax time comes?

NordicSaab
NordicSaab HalfDork
1/19/17 6:39 p.m.
cmcgregor wrote: Sure? No. There are references to it in several threads on STS legal tuning solutions, and we all know how reliable the internet is as a source of information. Glad to hear the FM221 will work. Now the question is, do I order it now and explain to the wife later, or wait until tax time comes?

Secret Option 3, use Paypal checkout and get 6 months no interest financing

Keith Tanner
1/19/17 6:49 p.m.

We have a distressing number of customers with secret credit cards.

NordicSaab
NordicSaab HalfDork
1/25/17 5:49 p.m.

Hey Keith, I just received my FM221. Is there documentation anywhere yet?

Can I run the unit without the MAP sensor? Once I have the MAP sensor cant the MAF be removed? Can the unit be "bench" configured (i.e. does it pull power from the USB)?

... I'm sure all of this is covered in documentation and install instructions somewhere.

Keith Tanner
1/25/17 10:31 p.m.

Currently, we're relying on the ME manuals: https://motorsport-electronics.co.uk/software-manuals/

You have to use the MAP sensor - it's on the board of the ECU. Just run a vacuum line to it. The MAF can be removed immediately. I don't know if it can run off the USB, that's 5v instead of 12. Check with Jeremy. He's the person who has all the answers.

FieroReinke
FieroReinke New Reader
5/15/18 8:21 p.m.

Is flyin miata dropping  the fm221? I noticed on their website while researching the fm221 vs the mspnp that the 94/95 version is no longer available and 96/97 is only available while supplies last.  I liked the idea of the fm support but curious why they are no longer selling them.  Are they not any good?

Keith Tanner
5/15/18 11:02 p.m.

We have made the decision to stop selling standalone ECUs. This will allow us to focus our support resources on other products while we let the people who know the ECUs best - their makers - support these very complex products. It also helps us work towards our goal of 50-state emissions compliance for all power products.

It's a good ECU, and we know that Motorsport Electronics will take care of any future customers. We'll keep supporting those who bought the FM221 from us, of course. The latest Megasquirt is also a pretty good piece of kit.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
iMJU4k88O8KchpSlnVfNgTh9v7khAIVOKZS1RZ4in7vTmP26zVO8H0b8wgndwABS