James@Fast Lane Innovations
James@Fast Lane Innovations New Reader
1/15/17 12:04 p.m.

This is James from Fast Lane Innovations, just joining this great magazine and community!

We recently released this new sequential shift light. I'm sure many readers have seen or use a sequential shift light to avoid losing time due to hitting a rev limiter, and to be more consistent in your RPM through the corners. Normally you need to rev the engine to the desired shift point and press a button, or there is another box to mount somewhere with an LED screen. The shift light runs stand-alone. The app allows you to program it and stream data, but after setup the shift light will operate by itself.

The Trac-Pac Sequential Shift Light avoids all of that by connecting to your mobile device using Bluetooth wireless communication. This enables you to control all of the features with the app, but additionally you can view RPM data in the app real-time and log it to a file. This is helpful for diagnosing vehicle and driving issues in any type of racing.

This is just the start, we plan to continually add more features to the app to help racers get the most from their vehicle and driving.

YouTube video

Stefan
Stefan GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/15/17 1:06 p.m.

Very interesting. Might have to add this to the birthday wish list.

1/20/17 12:37 p.m.

I can gift wrap one for no additional charge

hhaase
hhaase Reader
1/28/17 10:37 a.m.

As cool as all these app driven devices are getting, it's also getting harder to juggle them all via a single phone.

Would be nice if it datalogged into an SD card as an option.

1/28/17 8:33 p.m.

Thanks for the feedback, it's definitely something to consider - offline logging maybe with the ability to download the logs to your phone later or just pull the SD card. Just curious, what other app-driven devices are you using or would potentially be using?

The shift light on its own is competitive with some of the other options, the app just adds ease of programming and more functionality.

hhaase
hhaase Reader
1/28/17 9:07 p.m.

Currently TrackAddict, which is controlling my camera via wifi and a GPS module via Bluetooth. This gives me MPH, g-force, lap timing, and a map, synchronized to the video during post-processing. I use Dashware for the video and overlays. This is in my MR2, which is pre-OBD2, so I can't just pull from the ECU.

Though once I get my megasquirt-3 set up as the primary ECU I will have RPM and other data available too.

2/28/17 10:44 p.m.

I've done some testing, the Performance Optimizer App can continue logging after you minimize it, and you can still connect to additional Bluetooth wireless devices as well (and Wi-fi also of course). So with that, you could log RPM with the app for the shift light, and then open TrackAddict and connect to your GPS and capture video. The RPM log can be exported as a CSV file, and looking at the Dashware file requirements, it should work pretty easily.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
MbzVrY1yB6zd4y9VcxcQSWMmW2W5XZXtVry9drnKva6g2C1T5e8pEtBjZ9TdYJ3v