Greywynd
Greywynd New Reader
11/12/17 11:15 a.m.

Looking for remote starters and know very little about them. Actually in the market for two, one a gas automatic, the other is a diesel automatic. 

The gas one will be pretty normal/typical use, start the car a few minutes before heading out in cold weather sort of thing. 

The diesel one we'd prefer as long a range as reasonably possible, ideally with feedback, as it may end up in some remote locations for jobsites and the like. 

Any suggestions, comments or advice welcome!!

Tom_Spangler
Tom_Spangler GRM+ Memberand UberDork
11/12/17 12:00 p.m.

How new are the cars?  If they are relatively new, just pay someone to install them.  I looked into putting one on my daughter's 2007 Focus last year, and apparently the installation is a CANBUS-OBDII nightmare on newer cars.  If you look at the reviews of the DIY ones on Amazon, you'll see experienced techs talking about how many hours they spent sorting out the wiring.  No thanks!

Greywynd
Greywynd New Reader
11/12/17 6:43 p.m.

I figured I would have them installed, some areas they have to be 'certified' for installing them. 

I'm more looking for any information/input on aftermarket units. 

Brian
Brian UltraDork
11/13/17 8:33 a.m.

stick with one of the DEI brands.  Viper, Python to name a couple of their brands.  Personally  I have used numerous different ones.  I have had issues with them when they get old just randomly starting the car.  

Greywynd
Greywynd New Reader
11/13/17 11:18 a.m.

One I have looked at is compustar, any feedback on them? 

physician
physician Reader
12/20/17 8:09 p.m.

Its been a few years since i installed remote starter but i install around 40 of them with good results. That probably will be my next one. At the time they gad the best range and feature flexibility. 

You can also have an unterface module to nake it easier to install and communicate between each other

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
CHOYMh0DxR9rDzoyyNBuce3IKytaL7CYEACvC1lJwqPi18TJwApIoq1jsI9gGano