MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt SuperDork
5/3/12 9:47 a.m.

We have a lot of guys asking for MSPNPs for niche applications, and now we've come out with a way to partner with a car club, racing league, or Internet forum to make these happen. We can do this for any car that we have a connector for and that can be run off an MSPNP feature set. What we need from the enthusiast community is 10 people willing to pre-order and put down a $300 deposit, and the loan of a test car for a few months. Anyone who pre-orders gets a $100 discount if they order within 30 days of the MSPNP coming to market. Check out the details here:

MSPNP on Demand

We've just released an MSPNP for the '93-'95 MX6s and Probes as a result of this program:

MSPNP for '93-'95 MX6 / Probe / 626 with KLDE or KLZE V6

And we can take on one MSPNP On Demand per month, in addition to our regular MSPNP development. What's next? A Suzuki Swift GTI MSPNP? '99-'02 Impreza RS? 4.0 Jeeps with the Rennix ECU? TPI Corvettes? You tell us...

gherndon
gherndon New Reader
5/3/12 11:58 a.m.

hi matt, enjoyed your talk at the mitty. my father-in-law and i were there to meet you guys and discuss our landspeed car build. jerry's onboard and we'll be talking more with you in the coming couple of months!

thanks, george

ps, i just picked up a nissan hardbody (ka24e) grand-pa truck that is a potential future project (240sx intake and blower?).

JoeyM
JoeyM SuperDork
5/3/12 12:48 p.m.

[gulp] I'm now in put-up-or-shut-up mode. I wonder how many i6 datsun fans are interested....

MadScientistMatt
5/3/12 1:17 p.m.

We don't have the connectors for the Z cars yet... but we are looking into it.

jimbob_racing
jimbob_racing Dork
5/25/12 10:01 a.m.

How many do you need to presell to get this project going? There are many Z car people that want to upgrade to something modern and sequential. Plus a bunch more that want a true plug and play turbo ZX swap into an early Z chassis. I'm very interested and have the money to buy now.

MadScientistMatt
5/25/12 3:23 p.m.
jimbob_racing wrote: How many do you need to presell to get this project going? There are many Z car people that want to upgrade to something modern and sequential. Plus a bunch more that want a true plug and play turbo ZX swap into an early Z chassis. I'm very interested and have the money to buy now.

An MSPNP for the turbo or non-turbo motor? Right now we haven't figured out who made the turbo motor's ECU connectors or what its part number is. We might be able to find this if we had an ECU off one of them (even a dead one would do) but there's no guaranty we can find out or that they are still available. Non-turbo motors might be easier, but their ECU only controlled fuel.

Also, making an early L-Jetronic Z car sequential would require so much rewiring it would not really be plug and play anymore.

PseudoSport
PseudoSport HalfDork
5/29/12 1:59 p.m.

I think a better option for the Z guys would be to make a replacement harness that’s measured out with the right fuel injection and sensor connectors which should be easier to come by. Most of their stock harnesses are corroded and brittle by now anyway. Since the factory harness is pretty much separate from the rest of the body harness it would be an easy install. Then you can package it with any assembled MS Unit.

MadScientistMatt
5/30/12 12:31 p.m.
PseudoSport wrote: I think a better option for the Z guys would be to make a replacement harness that’s measured out with the right fuel injection and sensor connectors which should be easier to come by. Most of their stock harnesses are corroded and brittle by now anyway. Since the factory harness is pretty much separate from the rest of the body harness it would be an easy install. Then you can package it with any assembled MS Unit.

We're also considering drop on harnesses, and interestingly enough, the L28 crowd has been one of the groups asking the loudest for this.

jimbob_racing
jimbob_racing Dork
5/31/12 10:20 p.m.

In reply to MadScientistMatt:

PseudoSport clarified exactly what I was asking for. I'll take a turbo harness with your PNP computer, please.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic UltimaDork
5/31/12 10:28 p.m.

How about a Yugo?

MadScientistMatt
6/1/12 7:40 a.m.
93EXCivic wrote: How about a Yugo?

Don't have the connectors in stock, and finding wiring diagrams for the EFI version is a royal pain (You probably won't be surprised to hear that Alldata wasn't able to license them from Yugo...). Not an insurmountable obstacle, but given how rare these have gotten, we might need every owner in the US with a running example of an injected Yugo to pre-order.

SlickDizzy
SlickDizzy GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
6/3/12 4:17 p.m.

Any chance of a Bosch 35-pin connector coming any time soon? Both my E28 and Alfa run late-style L-Jetronic; fuel only would be a breeze and adding spark would be as simple as a trip to the parts bin. I believe S4 Spiders use the 35-pin connector as well, albeit with Motronic, so you might be able to cover a few bases at once there.

I'll share this on AlfaBB and see if there's any interest over there.

MadScientistMatt
6/4/12 8:17 a.m.

The biggest problem with the 35 pin Motronic is the flywheel triggering. Bosch used a purpose built circuit to read it. The MS2 has trouble with this; you can use an MS3 and brute force it through. We're considering a MS3 based MSPNP for some of these applications such as the 911s and E30 M3, but the current MS3 hardware doesn't lend itself well to a PNP setup.

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
6/8/12 11:00 a.m.

Slightly related, are you guys planning on making a "stand-alone" carburetor replacement soon? I see you have the 4Bbl throttle body, but EFI or intakes that can easily be converted are hard to come by for AMC's. I really like the new MSD Atomic EFI idea, it looks like a carb, has 4 injectors, and you just plop it on and go. I'd like something like that, but with MS instead of some crazy proprietary "self-learning" system that MSD has.

Thanks!

16vCorey
16vCorey UberDork
6/11/12 4:49 p.m.

What about a 944? I would think with all the DME issues they have you wouldn't have problems selling them. I've considered making one myself, and my car runs fine now.

16vCorey
16vCorey UberDork
6/11/12 4:58 p.m.

Never mind. Just noticed that you don't have the early 944 connector.

MadScientistMatt
6/14/12 10:36 a.m.

We are trying to round up a test mule for the later 944s. The early ones are the same setup as the 911 and E30 M3 - it could happen, but would take MS3.

Derick Freese
Derick Freese SuperDork
6/14/12 2:34 p.m.

While I'd be in for a Renix Jeep MSPNP, I think you're going to run into the same issues that several have mentioned with older vehicles, and that is brittle wiring. I've practically had to rewire mine. Now that I've done that, it shouldn't be an issue, but those wiring harnesses are of Lucas quality.

MadScientistMatt
6/14/12 3:08 p.m.
Javelin wrote: Slightly related, are you guys planning on making a "stand-alone" carburetor replacement soon? I see you have the 4Bbl throttle body, but EFI or intakes that can easily be converted are hard to come by for AMC's. I really like the new MSD Atomic EFI idea, it looks like a carb, has 4 injectors, and you just plop it on and go. I'd like something like that, but with MS instead of some crazy proprietary "self-learning" system that MSD has. Thanks!

We are heading in that direction (were you at the Mitty by any chance? We had some prototype hardware for carb conversions on display.) Right now we have weld-on, no rail injector bungs to go with the throttle body. The setup at the Mitty was a port injection manifold.

We have done some work with TBIs, and it's possible we might offer a throttle body injection setup in the future. It's going to take a significant bit of R&D to get the fuel distribution right, if we pursue this. Even if we go with reselling an off the shelf unit - we'll want to be sure the designer did their homework. We've seen several cases where it's quite clear they didn't.

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
6/14/12 3:25 p.m.

I'm all over a TBI setup, but if you guys can provide a setup for me to turn a common new intake, say an Edelbrock Air Gap RPM, into a port injection setup (and let me keep my throttle cable, trans kickdown, and classic 14' air cleaner) then I am all over that!

Carbs are fun, but EFI is better.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
6Kg2L8X6BQA50fGS2kacEybLgVrg7GEg2l06YVeXCIt3ZG2QPMyV8Un3NyDV8SKY