Presented by Nine Lives Racing
occamsracer
occamsracer New Reader
8/14/19 8:10 a.m.

I submitted an article to GRM, but I guess they weren't interested in publishing it. So I posted it on my site https://occamsracers.com/. I think GRM readers will appreciate this, it's as scientific as we could make it. Start on the Results menu. 

Here are some quick facts:

• A 9 Lives Racing Big Wang generates 2.5x more downforce when used with an OEM hardtop than with an open top. Even at autocross speeds, you should probably use a hardtop if you're using a wing. 
  • Removing the rear window from the OEM top is not a good idea if you're using a wing. It performs about as well as an open top when you do that. 
  • My DIY fastback helped the wing perform better, it generated 20% more downforce, and 15% less drag (.41 vs .48) vs OEM hard top. With the full aero kit (wing, airdam, splitter), the L/D ratio of the fastback was 2.97, the OEM hard top 2.11. 
  • A 4" splitter reduced drag and increased front downforce by a substantial margin over an airdam alone. The Cl F delta was .38. 
  • AirTab vortex generators increased drag and decreased the effectiveness of the wing by about 20%. Don't do it. 
  • The 9LR beat the pants off an eBay double-decker wing, even after I had modified the cheap wing. 
  • I ran an 8-hour endurance racing simulation in OptimumLap, and every configuration with a wing, beat every configuration without a wing. The fastback won by a lot. 

Special thanks to the test team: Jeremiah Wennermark (Man & Machine Consulting), and drivers Anthony Zwain, and Evan Merrill. 

Robbie
Robbie GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
8/14/19 8:23 a.m.

#1 awesome screen name

#2 I AM very interested and I will be reading through your write up 

Thanks!

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
q5GFAanlRHM1PvLliQQf9hfBJzWlbVIGUCSB3V1Vu4FfxSxkJMyBD8q8IZaU4F9g