Presented by Nine Lives Racing
D_Eclipse9916
D_Eclipse9916
9/12/11 2:48 p.m.

As an avid reader of Grassroot Motorsports for years and participation in the Ultimate Track Car Challenge I cannot deny the love for GRM. They also recently supported NASA Nationals! I havent submitted my contingency, but I figured GRM would love a 1st place National Championship based on a grassroots approach to fixing their race car!

Destroyed my alumalite splitter on Thursday, had to get some good front aero for the rest of the event (friday/sat/sun), so a trip to home depot was in order...The pictures tell most the story...

Appleseed
Appleseed SuperDork
9/12/11 2:50 p.m.

It's organic. That'll shut the tree huggers up.

alfadriver
alfadriver SuperDork
9/12/11 2:57 p.m.
Appleseed wrote: It's organic. That'll shut the tree huggers up.

It's also carbon fiber. Should shut the ricers up.

AutoXR
AutoXR Reader
9/12/11 3:08 p.m.

Realtime racing uses wood too - as do many other teams...

Rufledt
Rufledt HalfDork
9/12/11 3:11 p.m.

Have you been taking lessons from this guy? :

Don't forget, plywood is affordable, so it'll shut the bean counters up.

N Sperlo
N Sperlo Dork
9/12/11 3:17 p.m.

Wood floats too...

Rufledt
Rufledt HalfDork
9/12/11 3:22 p.m.

In reply to N Sperlo:

That is by far the most successful combination of Ferrari F-50, watercraft, cowboy hat, and pine cubboards I have ever seen!

N Sperlo
N Sperlo Dork
9/12/11 3:27 p.m.
Rufledt wrote: In reply to N Sperlo: That is by far the most successful combination of Ferrari F-50, watercraft, cowboy hat, and pine cubboards I have ever seen!

So a whole bunch of win?

Rufledt
Rufledt HalfDork
9/12/11 3:30 p.m.

I thought of posting this: but then remembered we already have one thread hijacked by hotlinking...

Oh, wait

Serious question- What other uses for plywood are teams currently using? I remember there was an article recently about that, but I don't know where I put that issue.

T.J.
T.J. SuperDork
9/12/11 3:31 p.m.

In reply to N Sperlo:

Is that Chuck Norris driving that Floatarri?

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker SuperDork
9/12/11 3:39 p.m.
Rufledt wrote: Serious question- What other uses for plywood are teams currently using?

I'm going with the whole roll cage and chassis myself. What could go wrong?

TRoglodyte
TRoglodyte HalfDork
9/12/11 3:45 p.m.

I didn't know adults could enter the Pinewood Derby.

N Sperlo
N Sperlo Dork
9/12/11 3:52 p.m.
Giant Purple Snorklewacker wrote:
Rufledt wrote: Serious question- What other uses for plywood are teams currently using?

I remember a game involving parts made of wood. I never won.

ClemSparks
ClemSparks SuperDork
9/12/11 4:54 p.m.
N Sperlo wrote:
Giant Purple Snorklewacker wrote:
I remember a game involving parts made of wood. I never won.

Yes...but it was better when your kids named "E36M3," "Berkelyer," "Shinyhappyperson" etc. died...so you could see their names in print.

Clem

nderwater
nderwater Dork
9/12/11 9:09 p.m.

OP - Welcome! Excellent first post.

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
9/12/11 9:13 p.m.

Great, now I've got to take up carpentry.

If that isn't grassroots then what is. Very cool.

N Sperlo
N Sperlo Dork
9/12/11 9:17 p.m.

On a more related note, I have been thinking of making splitters out of plywood and I'm glad others are as interested.

Rob_Mopar
Rob_Mopar Dork
9/12/11 9:48 p.m.

Since everybody else covered the plywood part, I need to ask, you cast your original splitter out of Alumalite?

D_Eclipse9916 said:

porksboy
porksboy SuperDork
9/12/11 11:25 p.m.

What is alumalite? Google doesnt anwer me. I see trailers and muzle brakes, But no gooey two part liquid goodness.

former520
former520 New Reader
9/13/11 12:17 a.m.

Alumalite is similar to the corrugated plastic political signs, but Aluminum. Available for order from many sign shops at around $100 a 4x8 sheet. I was just looking at it to replace my missing under tray.

Rob_Mopar
Rob_Mopar Dork
9/13/11 8:02 p.m.

Alumilite is also the name of a 2-part casting resin, usually used in smaller scale stuff. Like casting model car parts, but it can be used to make full scale stuff too. Would be pretty expensive to make a splitter out of it. Probably heavy too.

Alumilite Resin

DoctorBlade
DoctorBlade Dork
9/13/11 10:29 p.m.

It's easy to replace, too.

poopshovel
poopshovel SuperDork
9/13/11 10:37 p.m.

Sperlo and clem have me crying.

porksboy
porksboy SuperDork
9/14/11 12:26 a.m.

O have two abandoned road signs. They are aluminum with some sort ofmcomposit in between. Is that alumilite?

D_Eclipse9916
D_Eclipse9916 New Reader
9/14/11 8:32 a.m.

Yes,

Alumalite is 2 thin sheetes of aluminum with a honeycomb composite in the middle to provide strength. I have since ordered sheets of dibond, which are two thing sheets of aluminum with a solid composite in the middle. Slightly stronger, slightly more weight. Great splitter/air dam material.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
LE2SgG3D0n8OdLshK9oEMNEos4hrQxmfcX5a1lg2CfO2cSp17B4v16pO1sT3Egwg