Presented by Nine Lives Racing
Spitsix
Spitsix GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
10/19/19 11:05 p.m.

any thoughts on both the buying / making of an end mounted wing like shown above and what to make the supports out of?

thanks Scott

sleepyhead the buffalo
sleepyhead the buffalo GRM+ Memberand Mod Squad
10/20/19 3:38 a.m.

more details?

are you trying to build an IMSA Monza replica, or is this on another car?  Is this going to compete somewhere (if so, rules?)

Budget?

Liabilities, Assets?  wink

Robbie
Robbie GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/20/19 2:20 p.m.

I can tell you from recent experience that a car is wide and the wings will have to be extra stiff to hold much of any force at all supported like that. 

Spitsix
10/20/19 11:11 p.m.

You street and race. No rules. Reasonable budget

sleepyhead the buffalo
sleepyhead the buffalo GRM+ Memberand Mod Squad
10/22/19 4:32 a.m.

digging around, and reading up a bit on the DeKon Monza's... there isn't a lot of info on the 'phase 5' 'banana wing' that you're linking to.

The wing itself looks like a pretty basic aluminum construction with rivets.  if you don't have experience with that, SportAir and/or EAA has a bunch of seminars for how to build them up.  As for section... well that kinda depends on your goals, and how faithful to the original you want to be.  (I haven't found anything easily at hand online... but I only spent an hour or two looking).

as for the uprights... I reckon they were built up out of tube and then skinned/riveted.  I can't decide if they used square or round tube, probably a combination... neither can I decide if they went with Chromoly or Aluminum.  I do suspect, though, that it's more complicated than just tubes laid flat on a table and welded up into that shape with a truss welded in... I reckon there's a 'third' tube that's laid 'ontop' of the "outline/truss" structure that runs about  the middle (front to back on the upright; and top to bottom on the horizontal extension)... and is what gives the outer skin it's depth/rounded-look... although there's probable some sheet "ribs" in there too.

Let me know if that makes sense... and I welcome others chiming in here.  I'm firing from the hip a bit... and I don't suggest you take the above as gospel and go running with it.

Spitsix
10/22/19 3:51 p.m.

In reply to sleepyhead the buffalo :

Thank you so much for your comments and insight. I think you are correct about both the wing and the uprights. I have searched on the Dekon sight without much mention of the uprights. They were used on some other cars of that era. 

NOT A TA
NOT A TA SuperDork
10/22/19 4:24 p.m.

I have lots of saved pics of the Dekon Monzas if thats what you're trying to build. If not here's a different way of end mounting.

[URL=https://s240.photobucket.com/user/NOTATA/media/72179691_1631920890266237_6429120473614778368_n_zpsc4qmehzm.jpg.html][/URL]

Spitsix
10/22/19 5:50 p.m.

In reply to NOT A TA :  I'll be searching outside of the Dekon style tonight.  Your pic seems to show just a formed flat material.  I have much to learn.  Thanks for confirming that there are other methods.  Scott

NOT A TA
NOT A TA SuperDork
10/22/19 7:41 p.m.

Oh ya there's lots of end mounted designs. Have a look at the different set ups used on F-1 cars over the years, and you can see lots of pics of various types here https://www.f1technical.net/forum/viewforum.php?f=6

Johnny_at_NineLives
Johnny_at_NineLives GRM+ Memberand New Reader
11/11/19 8:40 a.m.

we made some for the shop car. Image may contain: car and outdoor

Spitsix
11/29/19 8:29 p.m.

Nice

Spitsix
1/17/20 4:28 p.m.

In reply to Johnny_at_NineLives :

What material did you make your end plates out of?

Thanks Scott

Johnny_at_NineLives
Johnny_at_NineLives GRM+ Memberand New Reader
2/4/20 2:07 p.m.

In reply to Spitsix :

it's 1/8" 5052 we would be happy to make you one. do be cautious on using 1/8" it won't hold up well to vibrations or anything taller than just a few inches. 

green7racer
green7racer New Reader
9/4/22 2:13 a.m.

Sorry to resurrect an old topic but I'm curious about how difficult is it to end mount a Big Wang to aluminum uprights bolted to the trunk opening flange?

Probably use 5/16" or even 1/4" aluminum to form the end plate/uprights after reading the previous post from Johnny.

Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard GRM+ Memberand Director of Marketing & Digital Assets
9/4/22 7:51 a.m.

It shouldn't be too hard; just drill some holes in your plates and bolt it in. Johnny's element is plenty strong enough for endplate mounting. 

green7racer
green7racer New Reader
9/6/22 6:56 p.m.

Thanks Tom.

Looks like I'll be torturing the CC again.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
MnCkXyQJqgQOWN3ifXR4cGAwfJ7sdrhrg75L6N8pS40ejCoWx4kpKQyU2gEgFrwK