Presented by Nine Lives Racing
sofbud
sofbud New Reader
9/7/19 7:41 a.m.

At first I think it would be intuitive to think that they are purely for providing a control surface for extra pitch. The movement of the canards however would suggest otherwise.

For the intuitive example there are instances where if the pilot wants to pitch up the the canards would turn upwards while the tail panels would turn downwards and vice versa if the want to pitch down.

However there are times, mostly when the pilot is moving at near stall speeds, where the canards will turn in the opposing directions.

My question is just what the main use for these canards are? Are they specifically designed to modify airflow over the aircrafts wing to maintain control at low speeds? Or are they designed to provide extra mobility at higher speeds? Or perhaps both?

tymal77
tymal77 New Reader
9/10/19 5:43 a.m.
sofbud said:

At first I think it would be intuitive to think that they are purely for providing a control surface for extra pitch. The movement of the canards however would suggest otherwise.

For the intuitive example there are instances where if the pilot wants to pitch up the the canards would turn upwards while the tail panels would turn downwards and vice versa if the want to pitch down.

However there are times, mostly when the pilot is moving at near stall speeds, where the canards will turn in the opposing directions.

My question is just what the main use for these canards are? Are they specifically designed to modify airflow over the aircrafts wing to maintain control at low speeds? Or are they designed to provide extra mobility at higher speeds? Or perhaps both?

aahaa i see

sleepyhead the buffalo
sleepyhead the buffalo GRM+ Memberand Mod Squad
9/10/19 6:51 a.m.

In reply to tymal77 :

and... suddenly...

Canoes!

sunny0106
sunny0106 New Reader
9/11/19 11:13 a.m.

In reply to tymal77 :

Excellent Blog! I would like to {post more canoes!}

sunny0106
sunny0106 New Reader
9/11/19 11:13 a.m.

Finest blog!I would like to thank for {making me one happy canoe paddler}!

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
9/11/19 11:22 a.m.

I haz the happiest canoes. 

thatsnowinnebago
thatsnowinnebago GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
9/11/19 11:44 a.m.

This is fun to watch. 

sleepyhead the buffalo
sleepyhead the buffalo GRM+ Memberand Mod Squad
9/11/19 12:28 p.m.

I figure this thread deserved to be re-titled