Presented by Nine Lives Racing
jfryjfry
jfryjfry HalfDork
2/2/18 9:41 p.m.

I don't even know if I'm using the correct verbiage but I have a rear wing I want to mount on my z06 decklid.  It is currently mounted on my s13 track car and I'd like to make or buy a set of nice mounts for the vette so I can swap it back and forth. 

The uprights/struts/whatever they're called are carbon fiber, about 1/4" thick, and are about 9" wide. On the s13, the PO made brackets that look like just two pieces of angle aluminum per side with a gap in the middle and it is through bolted twice per side. 

It looks like a cheap and dirty method because it both of these.  

Is there a nice, inexpensive alternative???

im thinking about cutting a piece of aluminum to go on top of the rear deck to help transfer the forces across a larger area to minimize deflection and hopefully prevent any damage to the deck so worst case I just weld some more angled aluminum onto it for the mounts. 

But im sure there are some good options I'm just not finding.  Heck I don't even know what they're called!

Pete Gossett
Pete Gossett GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/3/18 5:43 a.m.

In reply to jfryjfry :

I think I can visualize what you're describing, but pics would definitely help. 

boxedfox
boxedfox New Reader
2/3/18 10:54 a.m.

You could probably modify one of the cheap aluminum wing mounts that you find on ebay. Like this one, for example:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Pair-10-Rear-Wing-Racing-Tail-Spoiler-Tripod-Lightweight-Mounted-Aluminum-25cm/192360400488?_trkparms=aid%3D111001%26algo%3DREC.SEED%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20131017132637%26meid%3Dd9ad32cc3828442a99a60e55f2428234%26pid%3D100033%26rk%3D4%26rkt%3D8%26sd%3D192122578149%26itm%3D192360400488&_trksid=p2045573.c100033.m2042

Aside from that, I'm thinking the next best bet would be to weld together a truss using small diameter aluminum tube, like everyone used to before we had easy access to carbon fibre. It's labor intensive but it'll be strong and you can make the mounts tall to get the wing into the airflow.

If your wing is one of the ones that actually produces decent amounts of downforce, it might be worthwhile to see if you can mount the wing to a reinforced part of the rear bodywork (preferably one that connects to the chassis somewhere). If not, the edges of the trunk are stronger and less likely to bend than the middle. If you can spread some of the load out there you'll be less likely to bend the rear deck lid.

jfryjfry
jfryjfry HalfDork
2/4/18 7:14 p.m.

Here is a bad pic of the idea I'm looking for:

Its the part that bolts to the trunk and that the wing's upright bolts to. 

klodkrawler05
klodkrawler05 Reader
2/5/18 7:55 a.m.

If you aren't opposed to making a pair of small slits in your bumper, this is the common way for wing mounts on the c5, and then you aren't relying on the plastic/fiberglass trunk to support all of the downforce load. You should be able to get a couple pieces of angle pretty cheap from your local metal supply place, a little trimming and a few holes later and you're done.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/5/18 8:16 a.m.

If you must mount the wing to the decklid, make your aluminum load-spreading mounts and then build a structure underneath to support the wing and transfer loads from those to the frame. Something like this:

You can use bolts with locking nuts and rubber caps over the heads to let you finely adjust the fit so they're just tight enough that the rear hatch will still close properly.

jfryjfry
jfryjfry HalfDork
3/12/18 6:25 p.m.

Excellent points and I will be incorporating a brace beneath the deck lid.  

jfryjfry
jfryjfry HalfDork
3/12/18 6:31 p.m.

Here are pics of what I have on my s13.  

I could do the same on the vette but it is turning into a sponsored car so I want it to look good as well as work well so these just won't do

This is the wing upright that slides into the slot in the above mount (the wing is upside down here):

So i so I am looking for something functional and fashionable to mount the wing to that would attach to the decklid

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/12/18 6:36 p.m.

I don't know the structure of the C5, but on my Miata I bolted to the small vertical portion of the trunk lid opening. Very strong. This was easy to build using some aluminum sheet I had kicking around. I later built a taller one that required a guy wire X, but it's really tall.

kb58
kb58 SuperDork
3/13/18 11:40 a.m.

I'm going to be making the same thing soon.

Try to first get an idea of the expected downforce at maximum speed. Also, assuming this is for on-track use, keep in mind the possibility of ending up backwards at 100 mph someday, and the loads that's going to impart on the wing mounts. Related, depending upon the height of the wing, be prepared to make the assembly really robust in all directions. If it can fully support the downward weight, but is floppy side-to-side, that's not going to end well.

This video is just an "oops" moment, but wing failure usually ends much more badly. I have mixed feelings about putting my well-being in the hands of an unseen and varying quantity.

stafford1500
stafford1500 GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
3/13/18 12:11 p.m.

JFry: your carbon pylons will be very sturdy, but as others have said make sure to tie into some real structure at the back of the car. The slotted decklid and mounts tied to the rear bumper/chassis are going to be the least visually invasive when the wing is not fitted. 

Make sure the pylons are braced diagonally if they are very tall (more than 8" or so) as KB said.  The further behind the car the wing gets mounted the more leverage you will wind up with due to the downforce AND the drag of the wing. Allowing the wing to rock back at high speed and load can be a way to help with reducing drag on straights and allowing the downforce to level off a little with speed. Usually that is accomplished with bushings at the rear lower pickup points so that the downforce and drag compresses one side of the bushing.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
edzQS7iehrqAO6RZEVYAfLbxEK5VbV9UGRtas00JO9MMYRuM019LhFNU5AbYHh4j