Presented by Nine Lives Racing
1 2
wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr HalfDork
2/12/13 1:32 p.m.

What material do you guys use to make your home made splitters? This is for a LeMons car. I do not have a stock undertray sooooo, I thought I would make one and have it stick out the front a bit to work as a splitter as well.

Is 3/8" or 1/2" plywood a viable option? Is there a place to buy "sheets" of fiberglass? Are there any materials I can get at Home Depot to make a strong / light splitter?

I plan on putting a small spoiler on the back of the car to balance it.

The car is an 1987 Mazda Rx7 that may or may not have a rear hatch (if that matters).

Thanks!

Rob R.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH UltimaDork
2/12/13 1:34 p.m.

Where's Giant Purple Snorklewacker? His is made of sheet aluminum IIRC.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
2/12/13 1:41 p.m.

Alumalite for the good stuff, but mine is sheet aluminum. Plywood has certainly been used in the past.

bravenrace
bravenrace PowerDork
2/12/13 1:43 p.m.

Why did I read the title as "Learn me homemade log splitters"? Man I'm getting old.

alfadriver
alfadriver PowerDork
2/12/13 2:14 p.m.
bravenrace wrote: Why did I read the title as "Learn me homemade log splitters"? Man I'm getting old.

You are getting old. I was thinking some kind of signal splitter.

nocones
nocones Dork
2/12/13 2:18 p.m.

If you can keep heat down the 1/4 wall panels are a good option. For le mons use I would imagine something in the silly woodgrain is an option although i know solid plastic is available for cheap. I'm going to use it for the difuser on the mg.

turboswede
turboswede PowerDork
2/12/13 2:23 p.m.

Coroplast. Any recent elections in your area? Go grab the left over signage. Or hit up a locla sign shop and ask for any remnants in the proper size (or just buy a chunk if necessary). Tap Plastics is also an option if there is one in your area.

Plywood also works and can be improved with some cheap fiberglass cloth and resin from the HDRSC (Home Depot Racing Supply Company) I would use 3/8 with 'glass reinforcement.

Just make sure that if it is trashed that the damage it might cause is minimal (i.e. don't make it too stout)

bravenrace
bravenrace PowerDork
2/12/13 2:42 p.m.
alfadriver wrote:
bravenrace wrote: Why did I read the title as "Learn me homemade log splitters"? Man I'm getting old.

You are getting old. I was thinking some kind of signal splitter.

Don't get me started! I've been doing wiring all day. I HATE wiring. I HATE electrical.

bgkast
bgkast Reader
2/12/13 2:51 p.m.

I second the coroplast suggestion. We made the hood, roof and trunk on our lemon out of the stuff.

FSP_ZX2
FSP_ZX2 Dork
2/12/13 2:54 p.m.
Keith Tanner wrote: Alumalite for the good stuff, but mine is sheet aluminum. Plywood has certainly been used in the past.

Making one right now out of alumalite--I happen to have a buddy who works for a sign company, so I gave him the cardboard templates and he's cutting it out...should have back soon...

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
2/12/13 3:00 p.m.

Is unsupported coroplast really strong enough for the aero loads of a splitter? I can see it working well where you can tie down all sides of it, but a splitter is cantilevered out.

FSP, I am jealous.

turboswede
turboswede PowerDork
2/12/13 3:02 p.m.
Keith Tanner wrote: Is unsupported coroplast really strong enough for the aero loads of a splitter? I can see it working well where you can tie down all sides of it, but a splitter is cantilevered out. FSP, I am jealous.

Well, one would assume that they would stiffen the edges somehow (aluminum angle perhaps?)

N Sperlo
N Sperlo UltimaDork
2/12/13 3:47 p.m.

You could go as far as to make a mold and build a fiberglass splitter.

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker MegaDork
2/12/13 3:56 p.m.

Mine is made out of Alumalite panel. It is corrugated plastic sandwiched between two thin sheets of aluminun so - very strong in one direction and very lite. Mine is 3/8" thick.

IIRC $80 for a 4x8 sheet.That was enough for the front splitter and a flat-bottom diffuser from the rear axle to the bumper.

Stolen political signs are viable also... same deal w/o the aluminum. Not as strong so either double it or support it better.

jimbbski
jimbbski HalfDork
2/12/13 3:57 p.m.

I have a place in the Chicago area that sells surplus metal, etc. I was there last week and scored big time! I picked up a 2.5 ft X 5.5ft X 1/2 inch thick aluminum honeycomb panel. To see what it is see the link: http://www.mcmaster.com/#aluminum-honeycomb/=lg8huf

I walked out the door with this panel for less then $45! It will make a great splitter/belly pan. This store sells metal by the pound and this panel weighs less then 12 lbs!

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
2/12/13 4:02 p.m.
turboswede wrote:
Keith Tanner wrote: Is unsupported coroplast really strong enough for the aero loads of a splitter? I can see it working well where you can tie down all sides of it, but a splitter is cantilevered out. FSP, I am jealous.

Well, one would assume that they would stiffen the edges somehow (aluminum angle perhaps?)

That's an assumption I was not making. I don't add stiffeners to my aluminum sheet, but I expect it would be required for coroplast (aka political signs).

fanfoy
fanfoy Reader
2/12/13 7:00 p.m.

Coroplast is surprisingly strong. A lot of people make rather large RC planes using single sheets of Coroplast. I wouldn't worry too much about the aero loads. But I`m pretty sure they woulshatter with any kind of impact.

aussiesmg
aussiesmg UltimaDork
2/12/13 7:06 p.m.
Giant Purple Snorklewacker wrote: Mine is made out of Alumalite panel. It is corrugated plastic sandwiched between two thin sheets of aluminun so - very strong in one direction and very lite. Mine is 3/8" thick. IIRC $80 for a 4x8 sheet.That was enough for the front splitter and a flat-bottom diffuser from the rear axle to the bumper.

Where did you get the Alumalite GPS?

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH UltimaDork
2/13/13 7:35 a.m.

BTW to make coroplast (or alumalite) stronger you can glue on a second layer with the corrugation at a right angle to the first. It will be WAY stiffer.

spitfirebill
spitfirebill UltraDork
2/13/13 7:37 a.m.
bravenrace wrote: Why did I read the title as "Learn me homemade log splitters"? Man I'm getting old.

me too. I was disappointed

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr HalfDork
2/13/13 7:42 a.m.

sooo, two panels of coroplast sounds like something to try!

Anybody know if touching the bottom of the radiator with it would be a big problem?

I guess I have to get my google Fu working!

Thanks for the replys!

Rob R.

dean1484
dean1484 UberDork
2/13/13 7:44 a.m.

I have made them from alucobond http://www.alucobondusa.com/products/alucobond_pe/properties/

I had some lying around. Seemed to work ok.

jere
jere Reader
2/13/13 9:11 a.m.
wvumtnbkr wrote: sooo, two panels of coroplast sounds like something to try! Anybody know if touching the bottom of the radiator with it would be a big problem? I guess I have to get my google Fu working! Thanks for the replys! Rob R.

It will be fine with radiator temps. I would use some big washers or something, I have heard the test to see it they are strong enough is too stand on them. The weight at high speeds can be north of 100lbs

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
2/13/13 9:14 a.m.
GameboyRMH wrote: BTW to make coroplast (or alumalite) stronger you can glue on a second layer with the corrugation at a right angle to the first. It will be WAY stiffer.

Ooo, I like that.

The "it's so strong I can stand on it" test always seems to be done by little asian guys. I have yet to see a picture of someone with my build standing on their splitter or wing

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker MegaDork
2/13/13 9:20 a.m.
aussiesmg wrote:
Giant Purple Snorklewacker wrote: Mine is made out of Alumalite panel. It is corrugated plastic sandwiched between two thin sheets of aluminun so - very strong in one direction and very lite. Mine is 3/8" thick. IIRC $80 for a 4x8 sheet.That was enough for the front splitter and a flat-bottom diffuser from the rear axle to the bumper.

Where did you get the Alumalite GPS?

Metal Supermarket, Plainfield, NJ

A racer and friend owns it - and I do some work in the area so shipping a 4x8 is just a matter of taking the truck on the right day.

I think most places that carry that sort of thing... metal supply, plastics places, maybe even Grainger carry it but if you are having trouble - try a couple sign shops that do big "in the wind" signage. I'd think it represents a step up from coroplast for them.

1 2
Our Preferred Partners
jJuNzqdWGXYnuGiOoV7dgd436OTUfV4LuCbKi8HubhxN3vVn9avONqZPDj0skwPF