Presented by Nine Lives Racing
1 2
mistanfo
mistanfo SuperDork
11/4/10 6:37 a.m.

From the Ford Mustang site: "**Front air splitter included in Laguna Seca Package is intended for race track use only and is not legal for on-street driving. May degrade crash performance and void vehicle warranty. Must be installed by customer."

CYA legalese, or something else?

Ranger50
Ranger50 Reader
11/4/10 6:55 a.m.

Did you look at the pictures of it???

My guess, they won't crash test it, $$$, which means the disclaimer. Plus from the pictures it looks like it sticks out a foot and its one beefy SOB.

Brian

FlightService
FlightService Reader
11/4/10 6:58 a.m.

What part of the vehicle warranty would it void???

mistanfo
mistanfo SuperDork
11/4/10 7:06 a.m.

Yes, I saw the pictures. I've seen bigger on the street, on more than one car.

TJ
TJ SuperDork
11/4/10 7:13 a.m.

By "degrade crash performance" I think they mean it would cut off a pedestrian's feet just above the ankles if you hit them and the Ford would get sued for selling an unsafe and dangerous car. If the piece comes with the disclaimer and is customer installed the Ford lawyers can easily argue that Ford is not to blame for the severed feet, but the driver is.

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
11/4/10 8:25 a.m.

Yeah, this is definitely a pedestrian-impact thing.

Javelin
11/4/10 8:25 a.m.

On another note, I want a Laguna Seca Boss 302 soooooooooooo badly!

mistanfo
mistanfo SuperDork
11/4/10 8:32 a.m.
Javelin wrote: On another note, I want a Laguna Seca Boss 302 soooooooooooo badly!

+eleventy billion.

Schmidlap
Schmidlap Reader
11/4/10 9:40 a.m.
FlightService wrote: What part of the vehicle warranty would it void???

I'm guessing the part of the warranty where they won't replace the splitter/bumper/structure etc that is damaged when your splitter hangs up on a speed bump, gets ripped off and damages a bunch of stuff as you drive over it.

fastEddie
fastEddie Dork
11/4/10 11:15 a.m.

Yeah, that's a definite ankle killer!

neon4891
neon4891 SuperDork
11/4/10 11:22 a.m.

WANT

carguy123
carguy123 SuperDork
11/4/10 11:41 a.m.

Having had an original Boss 302 back in the day I've got to say this is really nothing like it. The new Mustang is WAY bigger and not nearly as tossable . . . . . . . . . . .

But it's the first Mustang that's gotten my dander up. If I found one in my garage I don't think I'd kick it out.

Ian F
Ian F Dork
11/4/10 11:47 a.m.

I think that's the first time I've ever heard of an original Mustang described as "tossable".

As cool as the new Boss is, for similar money, I'd have a hard time not buying a ratty 1st gen and building a GT350 resto-mod replica.

FlightService
FlightService Reader
11/4/10 3:06 p.m.
Schmidlap wrote:
FlightService wrote: What part of the vehicle warranty would it void???
I'm guessing the part of the warranty where they won't replace the splitter/bumper/structure etc that is damaged when your splitter hangs up on a speed bump, gets ripped off and damages a bunch of stuff as you drive over it.

Never realized I could hit something and they would warranty it. My dealer always said the opposite.

I guess I need to try to screw the dealer more.

FlightService
FlightService Reader
11/4/10 3:08 p.m.
Ian F wrote: I think that's the first time I've ever heard of an original Mustang described as "tossable". As cool as the new Boss is, for similar money, I'd have a hard time not buying a ratty 1st gen and building a GT350 resto-mod replica.

I don't see the advantage over the GT enough to justify the price or the premium dealers will tack on.

I still would take one though

red5_02
red5_02 New Reader
11/4/10 3:33 p.m.

When was a 1969 mustang tossable. Especially in comparison to the new car. Have you driven a new GT at least? It's fairly neutral if you're willing to drive with your right foot a bit. I think g-force ratings are in order for a 69 boss and a 12 boss

Gearheadotaku
Gearheadotaku GRM+ Memberand Dork
11/4/10 5:43 p.m.

Thats cool looking, and I'm not a fan of modern Fords..

fast_eddie_72
fast_eddie_72 Reader
11/4/10 5:45 p.m.

That's pretty awesome. Made of 99 44/100s% win.

alex
alex SuperDork
11/4/10 6:14 p.m.

Those look like great cars but that paint absolutely kills it for me. Squick.

carguy123
carguy123 SuperDork
11/4/10 8:18 p.m.

Have any of you driven an original Boss 302? It was definitely tossable, especially on the crappy, narrow rubber we had back then.

There was an abandoned go kart track near us we all went to. It was way too small but we drove it anyway. The 'Tang and a 68 340 Cuda were the only ones to be able to go around it with aplomb. We were see sawing our arms wildly, but we could toss those 2 cars thru the corners instead of plowing thru like everyone else.

The S was a delight. If I were to do it today in my S2000 and then drive one of them just afterward I'd probably barf at the handling difference but they were Da Bomb for the day!

Javelin
11/4/10 8:44 p.m.
FlightService wrote: I don't see the advantage over the GT enough to justify the price or the premium dealers will tack on.

Can't speak for dealer premiums, but it's sooooo worth it:

Regular Boss 302:

The BOSS has a unique intake (where the MAF/filter is), a different intake manifold (on the motor), camshafts, and ECU combine to bump output from 412HP to 440HP and a 7500RPM redline. The clutch is beefier and the shifter is a short-throw unit. The rear axle has a 3.73 ratio with a new clutch-type LSD with carbon fiber discs. A Torsen is optional in a package with Recaro seats (worth it).

The suspension has stiffer springs, is lowered 11mm in the front, 1mm in the rear, stiffer bushings, bigger sway bars, and ADJUSTABLE SHOCKS. The electric power steering has 3 driver-selectable modes for quickness, plus the traction and stability controls have more modes and can be completely turned off. Did I mention the staggered 19" forged wheels and the 14" front Brembos?

But the best part? This: "Every Boss features a unique quad exhaust system: Two outlets exit in the rear similar to a standard Mustang GT. The other two outlets exit to either side of the exhaust crossover, sending exhaust through a set of metal discs that act as tuning elements before the pipes terminate just ahead of the rear wheel opening." Yes, the BOSS has factory side-pipes!!

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
11/4/10 10:27 p.m.

that splitter is useless on the road and kinda ugly. Bet it does wonders on the track though

Appleseed
Appleseed SuperDork
11/4/10 11:55 p.m.

Wow, that looks tits!

Trans_Maro
Trans_Maro Dork
11/5/10 12:42 a.m.
Appleseed wrote: Wow, that looks tits!

No, Dagmars look tits

FlightService
FlightService Reader
11/5/10 6:30 a.m.
Javelin wrote: The BOSS has a unique intake (where the MAF/filter is), a different intake manifold (on the motor), camshafts, and ECU combine to bump output from 412HP to 440HP and a 7500RPM redline. The clutch is beefier and the shifter is a short-throw unit. The rear axle has a 3.73 ratio with a new clutch-type LSD with carbon fiber discs. A Torsen is optional in a package with Recaro seats (worth it). The suspension has stiffer springs, is lowered 11mm in the front, 1mm in the rear, stiffer bushings, bigger sway bars, and ADJUSTABLE SHOCKS. The electric power steering has 3 driver-selectable modes for quickness, plus the traction and stability controls have more modes and can be completely turned off. Did I mention the staggered 19" forged wheels and the 14" front Brembos? But the best part? This: "Every Boss features a unique quad exhaust system: Two outlets exit in the rear similar to a standard Mustang GT. The other two outlets exit to either side of the exhaust crossover, sending exhaust through a set of metal discs that act as tuning elements before the pipes terminate just ahead of the rear wheel opening." Yes, the BOSS has factory side-pipes!!

Went from a $28K (Brembos, Torsen, and 3.73) car to a 40K car and then you know the dealers will put a $5K over that just because they can.

12K buys a nice twin turbo kit ($6000), eiabach suspension kit ($2K) and real recaros.($3k).

More power, better suspension and seats and you get to avoid the bad stickers, or with the grand you saved you can get the stickers.

The electric power steering is feel adjustment, not rate. So you have 3 feelings you get to pick the ratio in the rack isn't changed. It is not like the BMW system where you are going through an assisted planetary gear box where they read input torque and and over run an electric motor to get a different ratio. There are full drive by wire systems with feed back that can be installed but federal highway laws dictate a gear and shaft set up for highway vehicles.

I'm just saying there are cheaper ways to get more, but I would still sooooooo get one. Orange with black please.

Oh yeah and FYI, by Ford's own admission the side pipes do zero for performance, just an auditory thing. Which ain't bad either.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ZzQVMBRRbMiRdb70CuMUSsbrPnnfps8UeMVU7S4I2p5vTMkw0Q2sWhb0GN8SDI8U