Presented by Nine Lives Racing
1 2
Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
11/5/10 8:25 a.m.

Just the fact that an OEM still has the brass one to throw side-pipes on a car, even if it is just to sound cool, is awesome.

Also, there's no way you can get a GT with the Brembos/Torsen/Recaros for $28K. The base model GT coupe starts at $29,645K and all 3 of those are options, and they require other bits of a package as well. Looking up on the Ford site right now says Brembos are $1695, 3.73's are $395, and the BOSS fascia is $250. Can't even get the Recaros on the base.

Starting with a Premium at $32,845, plus $1695 for the Brembos, $395 for the 3.73's, and... STILL no Recaros!

So you're looking at $32K for a GT with gears and Brembos, and you still don't have any of the suspension goodies (bushings, sway bars, springs, adjustable shocks), any of the engine goodies (intake, intake manifold, camshafts, ECU, exhaust, higher redline), and of the drivetrain goodies (clutch, shifter, CF LSD or Torsen), and none of the other goodies (low-profile spoiler, wider forged wheels, blah blah blah).

If I had the money to swing a brand new car, I would totally get a regular BOSS 302, and I pretty much loathe Mustangs.

Did I mention Ford also has the brass ones to build the Laguna Seca with that splitter and a back-seat delete option!

FlightService
FlightService Reader
11/5/10 8:41 a.m.
Javelin wrote: Also, there's no way you can get a GT with the Brembos/Torsen/Recaros for $28K. The base model GT coupe starts at $29,645K and all 3 of those are options, and they require other bits of a package as well. Looking up on the Ford site right now says Brembos are $1695, 3.73's are $395, and the BOSS fascia is $250. Can't even *get* the Recaros on the base. Starting with a Premium at $32,845, plus $1695 for the Brembos, $395 for the 3.73's, and... STILL no Recaros!

Sticker won't be from $28K (I think the actually price on the windshield was something stupid like $28745,) but you can get it awfully close in out the door price. Local dealer had one is how I found out about the ability to pick up a GT with Brembos and 3.73 (optional ratio really the dealer has 3.55). Cars never, ever sell here for sticker.

Yes, no Recaros. Go get real Recaros and not the OEM installed deals. They will be lighter and you can tailor them to what you like.

I did say I would sooooooo get a Boss 302, but there are just other ways to go.

Ranger50
Ranger50 Reader
11/5/10 11:22 a.m.

Call me cheap, but I will ALWAYS try for the basest of base models that have options I want. From there, I make it my own. I can live without leather this and that, since I am going to replace the seats anyways. Same for the rest of that fluff.

Brian

FlightService
FlightService Reader
11/5/10 11:41 a.m.

In reply to Ranger50:

++1

irish44j
irish44j HalfDork
11/5/10 12:10 p.m.

I must be the only one that thinks that Laguna Seca edition looks like a regular GT got attacked by someone who buys alot of stuff in the Pep Boys accessories aisle, and loves to spray paint things. Like Ford is finally jumping on the "rice" scene about a decade late. Surprised that it doesn't have a huge wing on the back....

I give Ford alot of credit for making a "track edition" type of car, but stylistically they made it look cheap.

irish44j
irish44j HalfDork
11/5/10 12:13 p.m.

and also......spend so much time trying to give it a stand-out style, and they don't bother to get rid of the 6" wheel gap.....ugh

EvanB
EvanB GRM+ Memberand Dork
11/5/10 12:17 p.m.
irish44j wrote: I must be the only one that thinks that Laguna Seca edition looks like a regular GT got attacked by someone who buys alot of stuff in the Pep Boys accessories aisle, and loves to spray paint things.

You're not the only one. I think it would look much better if it was one solid color with the just the 302 decal on the side. Different wheels would definitely be necessary as well.

Ranger50
Ranger50 Reader
11/5/10 12:35 p.m.
irish44j wrote: I must be the only one that thinks that Laguna Seca edition looks like a regular GT got attacked by someone who buys alot of stuff in the Pep Boys accessories aisle, and loves to spray paint things. Like Ford is finally jumping on the "rice" scene about a decade late. Surprised that it doesn't have a huge wing on the back.... I give Ford alot of credit for making a "track edition" type of car, but stylistically they made it look cheap.

They did, in 2000. Hotlinked for viewing pleasure.

Brian

triumph5
triumph5 HalfDork
11/5/10 12:50 p.m.

It looks "ricerized". If that's a word.

Appleseed
Appleseed SuperDork
11/5/10 1:44 p.m.

Ford already did that with the R.

FlightService
FlightService Reader
11/7/10 12:09 p.m.

Didn't Ford already have someone build a track Boss 302 style throwback?

Shelby Terlingua Mustang

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Eyho7VrUaThRefzJBxWHeLr1gBtpfdTka8tsKOPogXwUZ86I0oFTE1mVjo6uiV9s