Presented by Nine Lives Racing
jj
jj HalfDork
12/16/18 10:02 p.m.

Right here.

I am going to look at some cheap aero for my mustang project and the only “real” wings I see are at least $600. 

I’m keeping this on the cheap side. I have seen these aluminum wings on amazon for $130. Their cross section does look like an airfoil.  

What do you think?

cmcgregor
cmcgregor Dork
12/16/18 10:22 p.m.

Not sure about the one in the pic but These guys have some that are middle of the road, cheaper than cf but actually tested

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
12/16/18 10:45 p.m.

That's the old spec World Challenge wing in the first pic. I know where that specific one is these days, and I don't think the owner wants to use it. Drop me a line at keith@flyinmiata.com and I'll put you in touch with him.

The 9lives wing is, IIRC, an extrusion that's used on the NASA spec enduro car.

I've also considered taking a Car of Tomorrow show wing and making it functional. I have one, it's not strong enough to work as-is. But if I add a spar down the center and fill it with foam, I think it could be quite effective.

jj
jj HalfDork
12/17/18 12:27 a.m.

In reply to cmcgregor :

lol I like their tag line. By the time I added mounting points and end plates, etc. it was $700. 

jj
jj HalfDork
12/17/18 12:30 a.m.

Thanks Keith. I would definitely like to find out if it’s available. I’ll send an email right now. 

I did briefly look for a CoT wing but didn’t see any. I didn’t know they had show wings. 

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
12/17/18 9:21 a.m.

There are three basic types of COT wings. Race wings (with tethers and certification stickers), test wings (may not have tethers/stickers but are structural) and show wings (they look like real wings and that's about it). The race wings were all made by Crawford. The show wings seem to have been made by whoever needed one and they vary quite a bit. I haven't seen many test wings in person. They're not as easy to find as they were years ago, though.

Our Preferred Partners
sVlvWmVOAqL6yW88g5f2fSvo2TbrTkoV9MTbrtXNuLbBVCGcxeZLagntmpGPcUYE