Presented by Nine Lives Racing
1 2
JoeyM
JoeyM Mod Squad
12/26/13 6:42 p.m.
turboswede wrote:
iceracer wrote: At the speeds of an autocross, a spoiler has very little if any effect. A big enough one would probably slow your time due to drag. think barn door.
Tell that to the BMOD guys. Aerodynamics are effective at nearly any speed with enough surface area.

You guys appear to be in violent agreement. Everybody agrees that it takes a LOT of surface area to be effective in autocross.

B-mod

A-mod

DaveEstey
DaveEstey UltraDork
12/26/13 8:38 p.m.

You don't need to go to mod class to see effective wing elements.

The_Modern_Devil_Z
The_Modern_Devil_Z New Reader
12/26/13 11:51 p.m.

Unofficial measurements for the spoiler are 10" tall and 50" wide set at 60° for imtial testing. Mounting setup is in the works by Saturday I should have a cardboard prototype made also decided to add a splitter and full belly pan, think Indy car.

evildky
evildky Dork
12/27/13 12:57 p.m.
The_Modern_Devil_Z wrote: Thanks guys all the input is helpful today I am going to start experimenting and testing ideas using cardboard mock ups. As far autocross speed and the porkyness of a Z my airbags are deleted as well as the abs and all sound deadening so its a little lighter than stock, but the autocross events in my area tend to be higher speed than some I have seen elsewhere due to using very large open lots on hills, as I live in East Tennessee

You have a gutted car, you are adding aero (and care what it looks like), so it's running in a mod class and you still have an open diff??? I think you started at the middle,a proper lsd will do far more for your times than a pretty spoiler.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/27/13 5:48 p.m.
The_Modern_Devil_Z wrote: Unofficial measurements for the spoiler are 10" tall and 50" wide set at 60° for imtial testing. Mounting setup is in the works by Saturday I should have a cardboard prototype made also decided to add a splitter and full belly pan, think Indy car.

Careful with the splitter, they make a lot more downforce than you might think! Also make sure you put a diffuser at the back if you're doing flat bottom, it's basically free downforce and drag reduction.

The_Modern_Devil_Z
12/29/13 11:23 p.m.

The car is a street car only the rear is gutted I.e. the plastic trims, the car isn't in mod class yet its street prepared I can get by with a spoiler as I am not running a coilovers and a fully built suspension yet. Also I use what I have I cannot afford a $2000 diff so until I can I have to compensate for that with other more affordable nods such as aero.

evildky
evildky Dork
12/30/13 3:25 p.m.

Pretty sure the aero will move you to prepared class at a minimum. used stock viscous units are all over ebay for 3-350, off brand hellicals can be had for 7ish and the quaiffe for 1200, and they look cooler than aeo

If money is an issue I'd suggest building the car for a class you can afford, like stock, someone will always outspend you.

If you haven't already upgraded the front bar a fatter front sway bar will flatten the car out on the turns allowing you to put more power to the ground. A fatter rear bar will only make matters worse, removing the rear bad might help a little with corner exit but might allow for too much roll in the rear negating any added droop on the inside tire.

The_Modern_Devil_Z
12/31/13 12:29 p.m.

In reply to evildky:

Thanksfor the input I was going to add a Hotchkis sway bar kit along with a jic strut bar. Honestly from what everyone is saying I will just add a splitter maybe get a nismo wing just for looks and drop all my cash into the chassis and trying to get a diff.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
8LQfxanvI0C66t0JcKxGrUw2rJKx1cIFC2pzqfO2aSQbzWJLQS75EfBD5Na5d61o