Presented by Nine Lives Racing
1 2
FSP_ZX2
FSP_ZX2 Dork
7/8/13 11:50 a.m.
93EXCivic wrote:
FSP_ZX2 wrote: The splitter matches the curve of the bodywork (including the inner bodywork of the nose/fascia. It was cut to match--there is no undertray behind the splitter like on Keith's Miata. The air dam was mocked-up out of cardboard as well, but it is a pretty thin gauge...it fits the curve/radius of the back of the splitter/"floor". There are tabs on the "floor" that the dam is riveted to--but they were not done in the picture, the tabs held things in place for the purpose of the photos.
Ok that makes sense. Thanks. Look forward to hearing driving impressions. Are you also run a rear spoiler?

Yep, that is next. Big ol' polycarbonate slab.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 HalfDork
7/8/13 1:10 p.m.
tuna55 wrote:
Dusterbd13 wrote: i love the looks. thinking about one for the 64 elky, ut im pretty sure that the aero advantages are offset by the fact that it is, after all, a 64 el camino with no engine.
Hope it's not too soon to make jokes.

not too soon. actually made me smile.

the added downforce might make it harder to push....

Shaun
Shaun HalfDork
7/8/13 6:22 p.m.

First step was an undertray. Not needed for most stock cars.

Where do you source the aluminum? Thanks!

FSP_ZX2
FSP_ZX2 Dork
7/8/13 6:36 p.m.

If you don't have a metal warehouse nearby, try a commercial sign shop.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/8/13 6:41 p.m.

Look in the yellow pages under "metals". If you have enough support underneath, you could maybe try coroplast (aka election signs). There can be a fair bit of force involved, though, so it would have to be well braced.

That undertray has three ribs of angle aluminum riveted to it to add some rigidity. You can see the line of rivets down the center line, I must not have added them by the time I took this picture. I also added a vertical lip (using the "bend with pliers" technique) to the wheel cutout to add some strength.

FSP_ZX2
FSP_ZX2 Dork
7/8/13 9:08 p.m.

Here is the latest...with extra braces and now visible mounting points.

FSP_ZX2
FSP_ZX2 Dork
7/15/13 2:35 p.m.

Spoiled...very spoiled. (Grassroots style, of course...)

In almost-ready-to-race condition. Will go out on the 15x9s and Hankook RS3s in 'FWD street tire' class to start. Have 15x10s in my apartment--need Hoosiers yet. Also have another suspension on order...will be uber-trick.

subrew
subrew Reader
7/15/13 2:43 p.m.

Why no Milwaukee Match tour? Have you run any national events this year?

FSP_ZX2
FSP_ZX2 Dork
7/15/13 2:46 p.m.

Have not run any events this year...been building the car. Its "almost" done...

DaveEstey
DaveEstey UltraDork
7/15/13 7:47 p.m.

Looks great. Nice work

moparman76_69
moparman76_69 Dork
7/15/13 8:21 p.m.

You should have painted the spoiler to look like bacon.

BobOfTheFuture
BobOfTheFuture Dork
7/16/13 2:09 a.m.
Keith Tanner This front end setup was able to balance the very effective wing hanging off the back of the car.

Wow! This thing looks ready for Pikes Peak!

Max_Archer
Max_Archer Reader
7/16/13 5:47 a.m.

Just gotta say, thanks guys for making me want to put splitters on all of my cars. Not that I didn't already want to, but now it's worse.

subrew
subrew Reader
7/16/13 11:00 a.m.

BTW, new proposed SP splitter rules coming out soon, per the prelim August SEB minutes:

SCCA said: Street Prepared #11290 Splitter Clarification The SPAC feels that splitters may only be comprised of horizontal or roughly horizontal components. Aerodynamically functional vertical members, such as splitter fences or endplates, are not acceptable in Street Prepared. It is the intention of the SPAC to clarify the splitter verbiage in future versions of the rulebook.
Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/16/13 11:37 a.m.
BobOfTheFuture wrote:
Keith Tanner This front end setup was able to balance the very effective wing hanging off the back of the car.
Wow! This thing looks ready for Pikes Peak!

Funny you should mention that...

FSP_ZX2
FSP_ZX2 Dork
7/16/13 2:20 p.m.
subrew wrote: BTW, new proposed SP splitter rules coming out soon, per the prelim August SEB minutes:
SCCA said: Street Prepared #11290 Splitter Clarification The SPAC feels that splitters may only be comprised of horizontal or roughly horizontal components. Aerodynamically functional vertical members, such as splitter fences or endplates, are not acceptable in Street Prepared. It is the intention of the SPAC to clarify the splitter verbiage in future versions of the rulebook.

The vertical end pieces (by the leading edge of the fender) serve to make the splitter legal in the other part of the verbiage that states that it cannot function as a wing (meaning IMO that no air may flow entirely over the splitter surface).

FSP_ZX2
FSP_ZX2 Dork
7/29/13 9:15 a.m.

Car debuted as FSP racer on Saturday. My co-driver (I had to work) took it to a class win (ran on index in FWD street tire class--225/45-15 Hankooks on 15x9) at WAI event in Milwaukee.

Results

Photos thanks to Andy Seipos...

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
lCcpLAxLF4RBFn4b2xk0oMqG12nrkYFMZ49zjlFCl3mOLzyRKBOuNRNcWNw63zQx