1 2
loudes13
loudes13 New Reader
12/26/14 10:48 a.m.

Wrong answer.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/26/14 11:18 a.m.
bentwrench wrote: I don't see a wing benefiting a chump car, the speeds are not high enough. I think it would be smarter to spend the money and effort on something that will actually make the car faster, turn better or stop better.

That's what people say until they're beaten by a car with a wing. A COT knocked my lap time down by 2 seconds on our local track, with an average speed of 48 mph.

kevlarcorolla
kevlarcorolla HalfDork
12/26/14 12:36 p.m.

In reply to loudes13:

Wrong answer to what question??

Thanks Keith we'll touch base when your back at the office.

chaparral
chaparral HalfDork
12/26/14 10:20 p.m.

To have your own hotwired wings:

1) Buy a secondhand DC model train transformer.

2) Connect 6 feet of the thinnest stainless steel safety wire you have to two lengths of insulated wire. Wrap the insulated wire around two dowels. Tape the insulated wire to the dowels securely. Connect the insulated wires to the output terminals of the model train transformer.

3) Cut out two identical NACA wing profiles of the size you want (good enough to be shot through and still work) from a sheet of plywood.

4) Cut and glue together the pink insulation foam boards until your stack can accommodate the wing profiles and is the same width. Glue the wing profiles on the ends, aligning them with a feature like the trailing edge so the wing foam is not warped.

5) Bring the whole contraption outside and grab a helper. Turn on the power to the model train transformer and steadily work around the profiles, hopefully at something like the same rate. Try different power settings on the transformer to see what they do - the "in" and "out" cuts through material that won't be part of the wing are good places for this.

6) No matter how badly your first attempt turns out, attempt to fiberglass the wings and mount them anyway - you'll need the practice!

7) (Not optional) Use a strain energy or elasticity method to estimate the stresses in the wing itself and compare to a pessimistic assumption about the strength of your laminate. Estimate the stresses in your mounts and get the factors of safety against compressive, tensile, shear, and buckling failure. If a wing system breaks, it will break going into a headwind on the fastest portion of the course. Murphy's law says that it'll either be the rear wing under braking or the front wing in such a manner that you'll lose steering control.

kevlarcorolla
kevlarcorolla HalfDork
12/27/14 5:57 p.m.

Amazing how many times the question I repeatedly stated I wasn't looking for gets answered.

I do my homework before asking questions.

MrJoshua
MrJoshua PowerDork
12/27/14 8:08 p.m.

In reply to kevlarcorolla:

You really should just make your own.

Jokes aside, please keep us updated on your progress. Aero is a big interest to me lately.

chaparral
chaparral HalfDork
12/27/14 8:51 p.m.

Kevlarcorolla,

The whole setup will cost less than the shipping on a wing foam core. I think anyone who doesn't have a wirecutter gets it from FlyingFoam.

Coastal Automotive in Sterling Heights MI will make it on their router. It won't be cheap.

kevlarcorolla
kevlarcorolla HalfDork
12/28/14 4:52 p.m.

I'm still trying to talk a race buddy into cutting me a profile on his cnc at his work but he doesn't seem to interested so I'm exploring other options here.Going complete DIY isn't going to happen,too much time spent in the shop the last few yrs away from the family and this would be a step in the wrong direction.

This is the wing profile he'd previously worked up for me.

[URL=http://s117.photobucket.com/user/kevlarcorolla/media/100_0220.jpg.html][/URL]

kevlarcorolla
kevlarcorolla HalfDork
1/5/15 6:04 p.m.

Looks like my buddy is willing to whip up a core for me afterall.

mr2peak
mr2peak GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
1/5/15 8:07 p.m.

Try and mount it higher up so the roll bar isn't affecting the airflow.

kevlarcorolla
kevlarcorolla HalfDork
1/5/15 9:02 p.m.

Going on a Miata.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
CoEDqge4TeMCVWK8z9w9AuOc5sTNszoGfZnfNbbDYy6G0zzqqmMg6Lb6F5qJcPgF