1 2 3
barefootskater
barefootskater Dork
8/27/19 10:54 p.m.

Because I don’t have enough projects. Took delivery of this tonight:

Its two years older than me, and the most modern dirt bike I’ve ever owned. 1986 Honda XR200R. 

See, I live in the desert. My home is about 200 yards from the end of the road and for the 5 years I’ve lived here I have watched everyone else ride past my house and hit the endless trails that are quite literally in my backyard.  Now I can play too. 

Got the bike from a buddy who has had it and another identical one for about 15 years, and it hasn’t been ridden or even started in about 8 years. He only kept it so he’d have a full set of spares for the twin, which was only ridden one more season and parked, 

Plans are to fix it up and ride it. It has lights and a title so I may add signals and a brake light and register it on the road at some point too. When I find the time. 

maschinenbau
maschinenbau GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/28/19 8:02 a.m.

GRM is collectively getting into motorcycles and I love it

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/28/19 8:05 a.m.

OK, it's an old Honda, here's what you need to do to get it on the trails after 15 years: 

Add fuel

Change oil

Duct-tape the seat

The last 2 are optional. 

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/28/19 8:58 a.m.
pinchvalve said:

OK, it's an old Honda, here's what you need to do to get it on the trails after 15 years: 

Add fuel

Change oil

Duct-tape the seat

The last 2 are optional. 

He better try these things in the next update because that's exactly what I would do. Probably give the brakes a test on flat ground before I hit the trails.

barefootskater
barefootskater Dork
8/28/19 9:40 a.m.

I hate to disappoint but step one is going to be reupholstering the seat. In denim. 

Also not sure if that chain is salvageable, forks need new seals, grips are already ordered...  I do suspect a quick oil change and carb cleaning would see the thing run. but I want to do it right, and I think that if I get it running I'll forget to do the rest and maybe ruin something.

Run_Away
Run_Away GRM+ Memberand Dork
8/28/19 10:50 a.m.

Nice! I've got my eye out for a cheap XR for myself so SWMBO and I can go on adventures together. Sharing our CRF230F sucks.

Is it all stock?

barefootskater
barefootskater Dork
8/28/19 10:57 a.m.

In reply to Run_Away :

It is all original. Apparently my buddy bought the two bikes from the original owner and they had sequential serial numbers, real twins. Actually took me a few years to convince him to let one go. 

Service manual ordered.

RacetruckRon
RacetruckRon GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
8/28/19 11:12 a.m.
barefootskater said:

I hate to disappoint but step one is going to be reupholstering the seat. In denim. 

Well that just makes sense.

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/28/19 11:18 a.m.

If it's sat for eight years you probably have to go through the carb if it hadn't had the fuel drained.

barefootskater
barefootskater Dork
8/28/19 1:33 p.m.

More pictures. 

And last registration:

barefootskater
barefootskater Dork
8/28/19 2:30 p.m.

And as for why I need a dirtbike, this is the view from my driveway:

2002maniac
2002maniac Dork
8/28/19 4:33 p.m.

Whoa, I know exactly where you live. I've done a ton of mountain biking in that area.  

The 200 should be fun! They are reasonably light weight and very peppy.  

ClemSparks
ClemSparks UltimaDork
8/28/19 4:49 p.m.

In reply to barefootskater :

I'm jealous.  In large part because I just mowed my yard this afternoon.  There are more reasons...but that's the one I'm mentioning.

barefootskater
barefootskater Dork
8/28/19 8:37 p.m.

In reply to 2002maniac :

Yeah if you’ve done any mountain biking in southern UT chances are you’ve driven right by my place. That trail is always busy. I’ve never ridden it. Also never been to the Grand Canyon. My backyard is awesome and I usually just sit indoors. 

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
8/29/19 5:22 a.m.
barefootskater said:

My backyard is awesome and I usually just sit indoors. 

My first thought was "you're lame" but then I remembered that you just bought an old dirt bike so I ammend that to "you were lame". Go do some awesome stuff just because you can. 

2002maniac
2002maniac Dork
8/29/19 7:09 a.m.

In a couple months when it's cooled off and your new bike is up and running. You should ride it to Toroweap overlook.  Seriously, this is less than 100 miles from your house dude! There's a very active Dual Sport Club in St George if you want someone to ride with.

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/37.0517783,-113.6213061/Toroweap+Overlook,+Littlefield,+AZ+86432/@37.0516636,-113.622037,346m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m9!4m8!1m0!1m5!1m1!1s0x80cc99b16a081829:0xbf89c85ea3a0327a!2m2!1d-113.0565389!2d36.2144451!3e1

barefootskater
barefootskater Dork
8/29/19 5:57 p.m.

In reply to 2002maniac :

Oh that'll be on my list for sure. I used to frequent a spot near there for camping. Haven't been up that way in probably 7 years. I need to get out more. 

Which gives me a good idea for a bike mod: cargo rack! for holding extra fuel.

barefootskater
barefootskater Dork
8/30/19 12:09 a.m.

First snag. In attempting to reupholster the seat I found my stapler is not up to the task. This old plastic is tough stuff. I may try some heat to soften the plastic a bit... or a bigger stapler. 

akylekoz
akylekoz SuperDork
8/30/19 6:31 a.m.

I may have an industrial stapler around that is used for boat interiors.  It shoots stainless staples.  We used four of them for a machine that staples exhaust insulation to aluminum stampings.

My first Z50 had a denim seat cover, I put the pocket in the back.

edit: I do have it still, it's pneumatic.  It it's worth the trouble you can borrow it.

barefootskater
barefootskater Dork
8/30/19 9:20 a.m.

In reply to akylekoz :

I appreciate the offer. I’m pretty sure I can find one locally to borrow but if not I’ll let you know. Gonna grab my heavy duty stapler back from my mom who has been redoing every bit of furniture she can get her hands on lately. That and a heat gun and see where I get. 

2002maniac
2002maniac Dork
8/30/19 10:28 a.m.

The denim cover should be cool! 

paranoid_android
paranoid_android UberDork
8/30/19 8:42 p.m.

I’m totally following along with this build!

I really, really want to get a dual sport bike, but it’s complicated...

barefootskater
barefootskater Dork
8/30/19 11:22 p.m.

Success! I had to use my heavy duty stapler for only the second time ever, and also a hair dryer, but I won. 

slowbird
slowbird Reader
8/31/19 9:20 a.m.

Oh wow, that's cool. The pocket is functional, I assume? Store a few quarters in there in case you get thirsty and come across a vending machine :D

barefootskater
barefootskater Dork
8/31/19 1:53 p.m.

In reply to slowbird :

Thanks! The pocket is functional but really only there because my old jeans didn’t have much real estate left that didn’t have holes. If I ever get the thing street legal I’ll probably use it to stash registration and unsurance cards. 

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
HaKtgPsrDNt8fKA2IE3Rrk70qLiRL6afeMMtIWQgp7qUGB1Fhpj1hkx7dKXSdRS2