1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 11
Will
Will Dork
5/21/13 8:21 p.m.
JoeyM wrote:
bgkast wrote: Shiny!
let's be bad guys.

Man walks down the street in that hat, people know he's not afraid of anything.

JoeyM
JoeyM MegaDork
5/21/13 8:40 p.m.
Will wrote:
JoeyM wrote:
let's be bad guys.

Damn Straight!

Junkyard_Dog
Junkyard_Dog Dork
5/21/13 9:07 p.m.
JoeyM wrote:
Will wrote:
JoeyM wrote:
let's be bad guys.
Damn Straight!

I aim to misbehave.

JoeyM
JoeyM MegaDork
5/21/13 10:32 p.m.
Junkyard_Dog wrote:
JoeyM wrote:
Will wrote:
JoeyM wrote:
let's be bad guys.
Damn Straight!
I aim to misbehave.

If you can't do something smart, do something right.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/22/13 11:27 a.m.

A study in contrast:

One of these things is not like the other...

photo TheDJSpeedster003_zpsf127216c.jpg

JoeyM
JoeyM MegaDork
5/22/13 2:10 p.m.

It is looking good. (...and sorry, I didn't mean to geek out on firefly.)

Woody
5/22/13 2:15 p.m.

I don't even know what that means...

cutter67
cutter67 HalfDork
5/22/13 2:30 p.m.

you have them in the wrong order the porsches should be switched around. then the timeline would be correct

Wally
Wally GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/22/13 7:18 p.m.

They all look kinda gray

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 HalfDork
5/22/13 10:02 p.m.

i think its funny that theres two porsches and a model a frame with a mazdaspeed banner hanging....

you find any stress cracks/broken rivits in the frame? cause ALL of them that ive seen have those issues.

and are you planning to box the frame for better chassis rigidity because racecar?

Woody
5/23/13 7:42 a.m.

The Mazdaspeed banner is an artifact from a previous life. The Porsches used to be Miatas.

photo UnspecifiedMiata059.jpg

We didn't find any cracks or broken rivets, but there is some evidence of gas welding up by the frame horns that showed up once the frame was sandblasted. There are also two thin areas. One is where one of the motor mounts for the four banger was and the other is at the top of the frame above where one of the old body mounts was. Dirt and moisture took their toll, but these spots will be repaired and reinforced.

Most of the work up to this point has taken place at Dave's shop, but yesterday I moved the frame to my garage where I will begin boxing the frame soon.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce Dork
5/23/13 7:55 a.m.

I know you mentioned welding shock mounts to the axle. I'm not trying to get ahead of you, but how modern can the elements of this be and still be acceptable? You're keeping the leaves and the frame and the body and putting in a flathead, but what things would cross the line? Disk brakes? Seatbelts? Is each element considered individually for coherence with the theme?

Woody
5/23/13 8:47 a.m.

Last year there were cars with tube shocks, so that's not a huge concern. We may be pushing our luck with the open driveshaft.

You would certainly be asked to leave if you show up with disc brakes, an eight or nine inch rear, a small block Chevy or a four link suspension. I'm not even sure if hairpins would be cool.

Woody
5/23/13 12:00 p.m.

Yesterday, I dragged the frame home to begin preparing it for boxing. There's a ton of welding involved, so I decide that I could save myself a lot of back pain if'n I could do the welding standing up. I made myself a pair of high sawhorses.

photo TheDJSpeedster006_zps6517e642.jpg

Big mistake.

It was immediately apparent that as soon as I added anything to the frame (like a bolt), it would become too heavy to safely lift on and off of the giant sawhorses every day.

Time to regroup and implement Plan B.

Behold: The Model A Frame-Frame:

photo TheDJSpeedster003_zps6b096704.jpg

chandlerGTi
chandlerGTi Dork
5/23/13 1:29 p.m.

There is a exposé on the race of gentlemen in the newest Rodders Journal that I just pulled out of the mailbox. Good stuff.

cutter67
cutter67 HalfDork
5/23/13 1:38 p.m.

Woody if you are going to be boxing the frame go to HF and buy two engine stands and attach the frame to them i have done this a lot. it will make your life a lot easier and i just checked with the sale this weekend and with coupons you are talking $70.00 for both

Woody
5/23/13 1:54 p.m.

Hmmm...good point. And, as luck would have it, I already have access to a couple of engine stands. Thanks.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 HalfDork
5/23/13 2:03 p.m.

they beat me to it. google homemade rotissire. im actually planning to do one of my own when i get a spare elcamino frame.

should make life easy.

and how do you like the home depot sawhorse leg brackets? ive been looking at those lately....

JoeyM
JoeyM MegaDork
5/23/13 2:15 p.m.
cutter67 wrote: Woody if you are going to be boxing the frame go to HF and buy two engine stands and attach the frame to them i have done this a lot. it will make your life a lot easier and i just checked with the sale this weekend and with coupons you are talking $70.00 for both

I bought a couple HF stands with that in mind, but they were too short for the width of my chassis, and I gave up. If I was to try it again, I would cut the upright on the stands and weld extensions in.

Woody
5/23/13 6:14 p.m.

Good point, but I doubt that many cars have a narrower frame than this. I think it's about 45 inches at its widest.

Woody
5/23/13 6:15 p.m.

Nothing really special about those Home Depot brackets. Fairly sturdy and cheap.

Woody
5/23/13 6:53 p.m.

Big clamps and temporary bolts:

photo TheDJSpeedster001_zps1c345393.jpg

photo TheDJSpeedster002_zpsf300ea43.jpg

The crossmembers need to be in place before I can start boxing the frame.

Woody
5/24/13 3:58 p.m.

Just a mock up with the Deuce K-member in place.

photo TheDJSpeedster011_zps37ef30e3.jpg

Woody
5/24/13 4:02 p.m.

In addition mounting the Flathead V8 and transmission, the Deuce K-member also gives us a place to put the brake and clutch pedals. On the Model A, they originally mounted to the four cylinder's transmission. The K-member will also add some much needed frame stiffness.

Woody
5/29/13 7:30 p.m.

We bought some fancyass motor mounts, but when I went to weld them in place, it was pretty clear that they were going to set the engine back a little too far.

photo TheDJSpeedster009_zps19d98e50.jpg

Looks like we're going to be making our own...

photo TheDJSpeedster011_zpsf1df262a.jpg

1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 11

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
xFPsdxkI5lBQAUL8URhHSfKSDKdYYBwz0jmlxmPLGZ4OGNCstrHaUZzaJOMbxJLx