BCP
BCP
7/18/20 1:21 p.m.

A buddy of mine who I do a little side work for dropped this off at my house and asked if i could get it running and driving (and somewhat functional) for him. Basically, he live in a lake community where everyone drives around side by sides, and he wanted something a little different. This thing is pretty rough, so not really worth restoring, but worth a little bit of effort none the less.

The first thing I did was turn the engine over by hand to make sure it wasn't locked up - it wasn't. Next thing I did toss some jumper cables on it to see if it would crank over - i did.

I broke on the old DMM and found the coil was getting power to it. After a little more testing and found the coil to be functional, so I moved on to the points.

Inside the distributor found the rotor, points, and condenser all to be new(er). The points were a tiny bit dirty, and they were not set correctly. After I cleaned up the points and got them set, I filled the carburetor bowl with gas and cranked it over. It fired right up!

So I got it running, now I need to toss on a new (smaller) belt, as it was too loose and there is no more adjustment left. I need to fix a small fuel leak (hopefully just tighten a line.)

That's kind of where I am at now.

To get it driving, I'm going to have to install some new wheel studs/lug nuts, and fix some seats.

To get it function, I need to patch up the floor pans, do a bit of rewiring, and a bunch of cleaning.

Heres the jeep in all her glory.

As you can see, it's ROUGH.

Here's the video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fd2cZiHDvts

I can kind of like it. lol

bgkast (Forum Supporter)
bgkast (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
7/18/20 2:45 p.m.

Pretty cool. Slap some camo over the rust patches and roll it.

ultraclyde (Forum Supporter)
ultraclyde (Forum Supporter) UltimaDork
7/18/20 3:29 p.m.

Cool. I'd love to have one in that kind of condition to cruise the WMAs around here. 

I wouldn't do camo. Too overdone. Since it's around a lake and it's that great green, I'd throw some red paint on the wheels and make it favor a 1960s Coleman lantern 

BCP
BCP New Reader
7/18/20 5:02 p.m.

In reply to bgkast (Forum Supporter) :

It's more than likely getting a scuff in shoot with some $40 a gallon drab olive green paint.

Honestly, it's just a ratty old jeep, but at the end of the day it should serve its purpose wonderfully. To me, that's what makes it so cool.

BCP
BCP New Reader
7/18/20 5:05 p.m.

In reply to ultraclyde (Forum Supporter) :

As rough as it is it has a lot of character. I have very low standards, so it tickles my fancy. If I ever did find one cheap enough I would probably snag it up.

ultraclyde (Forum Supporter)
ultraclyde (Forum Supporter) UltimaDork
7/18/20 6:09 p.m.

In reply to BCP :

The guy that works on my boat has one in much worse shape sitting in his yard. I keep thinking one day he might need $500 more than he needs the yard art. 

I tried having a nice enough Jeep to highway drive. It's a loosing proposition. I want my next one to be a Swiss cheese flat fender that I can trailer to to woods. 

cdowd (Forum Supporter)
cdowd (Forum Supporter) Dork
7/19/20 10:56 a.m.

This is my 47 that I bought for 500 about 5 years ago.  They are a ton of fun.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ayrmEUUWbsffWwAbgdoVPa3vVkCwjyrN7eVhEL2Q48aeVOpbiyzuzJKQnw2AZ3va