1 ... 16 17 18 19 20
frenchyd
frenchyd UltimaDork
2/13/21 11:34 a.m.
TheV8Kid said:

In reply to frenchyd :

Sound like you have everything you need the make the efi work on the v12.

We don't walk in the circles that jaguar owners do, nor do I really want to. I enjoy drag racing. My dad enjoys land speed racing. We are racers. Perhaps I am wrong, but the typical jaguar owner is more interested in his appearance than making his car fast. We'll stick with what makes us happy. The few Jaguar owners that we do know all want LS swaps. I want to move to more modern platforms like the LT series engines, and the Ecotec 4 cylinders, or maybe a 7.3L Ford. I appreciate your love for the Jags, but they are not for us.

You are right about most Jaguar owners. They are polishers not racers. While there are a few of us, the Newer V8's Jaguar makes are far more powerful stock than the old V12. 

Stampie (FS)
Stampie (FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/13/21 4:07 p.m.

In reply to TheV8Kid :

I hear you have a Studebaker Lark with an Atlas.  I know giving out numbers might be hard for you to do but how much have you developed it since the last time we saw it at the Challenge?

TheV8Kid
TheV8Kid Dork
2/13/21 4:45 p.m.

In reply to Stampie (FS) :

Meaning like how much more I have spent on it? The turbo that is on it not is actually $50 cheaper than the one than the one that was on it at the challenge. ECU is about $275 more. I put some nice adjustable shocks on it, they were like $100. Wheels and tires are probably $800 more but those could easily be changed back. Yeah. It's still a budget car. 

The largest development is probably the VVT. That has changed how the car runs so much. It makes so much more torque and power it's insane. You would never guess it was the same engine. It finally feels like a turbo car. Can't wait to run it at the track.

Stampie (FS)
2/13/21 4:55 p.m.

In reply to TheV8Kid :

No more of power and stuff.  When will you get it to the track?

TheV8Kid
TheV8Kid Dork
2/13/21 5:51 p.m.

Oh. Gotcha. It's making about 30 more horsepower, but way more area under the curve. Planning to take it to the track whenever the tracks open.

wheels777
wheels777 UltraDork
2/14/21 12:08 a.m.
Stampie (FS) said:

In reply to TheV8Kid :

I hear you have a Studebaker Lark with an Atlas.....

Thank you.

Stampie (FS)
2/14/21 5:00 p.m.

I've always wondered about porting on a turbo engine.  Is it worth it in that you can make your hp at lower boost levels?  I assume the turbo selected will only flow so much air so maybe you don't gain anything other than safer boost levels.  Y'all are much smarter on this than I so I'd love your thoughts.

TheV8Kid
TheV8Kid Dork
2/14/21 5:57 p.m.

It certainly makes a difference. Usually makes it a bit more responsive. All depends on the turbo though. The thing that will limit you 9 times out of 10 is the turbine. Assuming you are not out of turbo, more power Naturally Aspirated = More power with boost.

frenchyd
frenchyd UltimaDork
2/14/21 6:40 p.m.

In reply to TheV8Kid :

Is the turbo size based on expected power goal or size of the engine?

TheV8Kid
TheV8Kid Dork
2/14/21 10:00 p.m.

In reply to frenchyd :

Both

frenchyd
frenchyd UltimaDork
2/16/21 11:46 a.m.

In reply to TheV8Kid :

Are a pair of T3's big enough for 326 inches? ( 163 inches per side? ).  V12's have two throttle bodies.   99.9% of the use will be road course racing.   I'll make a pass just to see what the 1/4 miles time is. 

Stampie (FS)
2/16/21 4:33 p.m.

In reply to frenchyd :

I made a new topic for you Frenchy

https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/grm/how-to-read-a-turbo-map/181269/page1/

Stampie (FS)
2/16/21 5:34 p.m.

Slightly off topic but it was mentioned by wheels777, could you guys do a build thread on a land speed car?

wheels777
wheels777 UltraDork
2/16/21 5:48 p.m.
Stampie (FS) said:

Slightly off topic but it was mentioned by wheels777, could you guys do a build thread on a land speed car?

I would love to.  I will discuss with Calvin.  

Important question...Do others have interest?

TVR Scott (Forum Supporter)
TVR Scott (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
2/16/21 6:01 p.m.

In reply to wheels777 :

Yes!  I would be very interested to hear about your land speed efforts!

759NRNG (Forum Partidario)
759NRNG (Forum Partidario) UberDork
2/16/21 6:27 p.m.
wheels777 said:
Stampie (FS) said:

I would love to.  I will discuss with Calvin.  

Important question...Do others have interest?

Sitting here patiently also......

Indy "Nub" Guy
Indy "Nub" Guy PowerDork
2/16/21 6:38 p.m.
TVR Scott (Forum Supporter) said:

In reply to wheels777 :

Yes!  I would be very interested to hear about your land speed efforts!

Yes, put down as an interested reader of that content too.

wheels777
wheels777 UltraDork
2/17/21 5:04 a.m.

Hmmmm...okay.  I guess we will start something in the near future and let this get back to the Studebaker thread.

yupididit
yupididit GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
2/17/21 10:57 p.m.
TheV8Kid said:

Oh my lawd. Finally got to read this whole thread which came recommended by multiple GRM folk. 

frenchyd
frenchyd UltimaDork
2/18/21 5:31 p.m.

In reply to TheV8Kid :

I really appreciate the information you gave during your test session.    You said you retarded the intake 6.2 degrees and then used the VVT to change the exhaust cam timing. 
     That part I wasn't really following. Please excuse my ignorance. But were you advancing or retarding the exhaust cam, and was it 25 degrees  over stock? or 25%.  and 25% of what?  
    Basically were you opening or closing up the split?  

frenchyd
frenchyd UltimaDork
2/18/21 5:38 p.m.

In reply to wheels777 :

Yes a LSR car would be very interesting. I know there are classes for everything. Would you build a streamliner, lakes roadster, or production based car?  
      Or look in the record book and see which class is ready to be cherry picked?  That would be my approach because it would be nice to break a record above 200 mph and be invited to join that group. 

wheels777
wheels777 UltraDork
2/18/21 7:24 p.m.

In reply to frenchyd :

All of our previous records are in Gas Coupe. 

We have 2 projects underway. 

1)-The 1975 Chevy Monza was being prepared for Gas Coupe. For LSR, we have discussed installing a 4.2L Atlas.  Goal would be 200 in E/GC and E/CGC.  This one will be going LSR after it does a lot of testing as a drag effort to develop our 4.2L program more. As a preview to our longer term efforts, we are planning to do a 4.2L in our 2022 Drag Week car.  

2)-Our 1987 Camaro is 50% complete and would be run with a BIG Turbo 4.8 in D/BGC.  The goal would be 200 in the mile and 220+ in the 1.5 mile.  This project may be completed first.

Fyi

frenchyd
frenchyd UltimaDork
2/18/21 10:13 p.m.

In reply to wheels777 :

Then I assume you're not talking about the salt flats?  

wheels777
wheels777 UltraDork
2/19/21 3:47 a.m.

In reply to frenchyd :

Eventually yes, initially no.

TheV8Kid
TheV8Kid Dork
2/19/21 9:24 a.m.
frenchyd said:

In reply to TheV8Kid :

I really appreciate the information you gave during your test session.    You said you retarded the intake 6.2 degrees and then used the VVT to change the exhaust cam timing. 
     That part I wasn't really following. Please excuse my ignorance. But were you advancing or retarding the exhaust cam, and was it 25 degrees  over stock? or 25%.  and 25% of what?  
    Basically were you opening or closing up the split?  

Retarding the exhaust cam (adding overlap). The stock VVT Sprocket allows you to change the cam angle by as much as 25 degrees. You do this by applying a duty cycle to a solenoid. 

It's a little hard to follow on the video. Basically what we found was the engine liked a lot of cam angle in the mid range, and then a little less at high RPM.

1 ... 16 17 18 19 20

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
9P0GPRxjiw4lwQFALsFhlcZ5QKijWTnQ9Jrquysi876QNSfnlYcy3sMwF3INNm83