1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... 20
TheV8Kid
TheV8Kid HalfDork
9/29/18 2:46 p.m.

In reply to 759NRNG :

It's on the horizon. It will definitely have an intercooler. Glad you are enjoying it.

TheV8Kid
TheV8Kid HalfDork
9/29/18 2:50 p.m.

In reply to gumby :

They're neat engines. I did a lot of research on some of the most popular inline 6 cylinders. The Barra and Atlas engine are very similar. I think this would fit into a lot more things if the timing chain was a belt. It would make the engine a lot shorter. It just barely fits under the hood in this. If it didn't have a hood scoop, it would not fit. It has been a fun experience thus far.

I can't wait to hear it sing. 

stroker
stroker UltraDork
9/30/18 8:23 p.m.
TheV8Kid
TheV8Kid HalfDork
9/30/18 8:27 p.m.

Transmission mount is done.

Also worked on header flange

I'm trying to make it match the 2006 and later head, so that when I do one in the future the ports will match up.

TheV8Kid
TheV8Kid HalfDork
9/30/18 8:34 p.m.
stroker said:

This one looks like a candidate, too. In Ottumwa, IA. Say hi to Radar O'Reilly while you're there...

That's a nice car. It looks like the floors are starting to go. That's the earlier body style. 

I'm flattered that people think my car is cool enough to want one for themselves. It has had a lot of modification though. You would have a very hard time getting an Atlas engine into one of these with the stock steering configuration.

MrJoshua
MrJoshua UltimaDork
9/30/18 9:28 p.m.

The transmission mount has me curious. It seems to go places it doesn't need to go. Point A to point B looks to make more sense and that one takes a path of point A to a gentle loop around the back of point Z. You have too much fab  knowledge for that to not have a reason-care to share?

TheV8Kid
TheV8Kid HalfDork
10/1/18 6:06 a.m.
MrJoshua said:

The transmission mount has me curious. It seems to go places it doesn't need to go. Point A to point B looks to make more sense and that one takes a path of point A to a gentle loop around the back of point Z. You have too much fab  knowledge for that to not have a reason-care to share?

Well the original intent for running the trans mount the way we did was shorter is lighter. What I should have done was run the transmission mount to the near side of the cross member making it even shorter. That was going to be harder to make and would hit the transmission mount, so I decided to run it to the far side. I think it will be plenty strong and it is pretty light.

It certainly could have been simplified by going straight accross, and weigh about the same. It was one of those well I already have a bent tube, and I want to get this done, so I took a short cut.

If this was the Nova, I would have restarted and re thought the mount. This not going to be an all out race car. It's a street car that I will race from time to time.

MrJoshua
MrJoshua UltimaDork
10/1/18 11:25 a.m.

In reply to TheV8Kid :

Thanks for the explanation. I was trying to rationalize the design with long lever arm on the outside, etc. "I had the part and it fits where it should and does what it's supposed to do" is the perfect reason.

TheV8Kid
TheV8Kid HalfDork
10/8/18 9:16 a.m.

Work continues.

Began making intake.

The hole is something much larger than the throttle body because they make them up to 90mm. Using what I have now, but I am prepared for upgrades.

I bought the tray below for $10 to make my plenum out of.

pres589
pres589 PowerDork
10/8/18 9:43 a.m.

Awesome!

759NRNG
759NRNG SuperDork
10/8/18 6:02 p.m.

V8 awesome on the plenum...is the snail your father is holding your final 'answer' ?

TheV8Kid
TheV8Kid HalfDork
10/8/18 7:57 p.m.
759NRNG said:

V8 awesome on the plenum...is the snail your father is holding your final 'answer' ?

Yep. The turbo is a CX Racing T67 turbo (at least I think it is). It should be plenty of turbo for my power goals.

TheV8Kid
TheV8Kid HalfDork
10/8/18 8:07 p.m.

More progress.

I have to go to a different master cylinder because I need to upgrade the rear, which will have disc brakes instead of drums. This is a convenient time to switch to a master cylinder that has the tubes on the other side, and gives me more clearance for the intake. It still has to go back 1.5 inches in the picture below, I just borrowed it from another car and didn't want to drill the holes out.

It's getting there.

TheV8Kid
TheV8Kid HalfDork
10/8/18 8:14 p.m.
pres589 said:

Awesome!

Thanks!

759NRNG
759NRNG SuperDork
10/9/18 7:45 p.m.

Hey TV8Kd......I've been driving my '04 Bravada lately cuz there's a new (LKQ) bullet in it. I'm curious as to how you  are gonna get around the throttle by wire which is a PIA from my perspective with these...

Patrick
Patrick GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/9/18 8:34 p.m.

Handy of the General to put the injectors directly into the cylinder head, eh?

TheV8Kid
TheV8Kid HalfDork
10/9/18 8:54 p.m.
759NRNG said:

Hey TV8Kd......I've been driving my '04 Bravada lately cuz there's a new (LKQ) bullet in it. I'm curious as to how you  are gonna get around the throttle by wire which is a PIA from my perspective with these...

I agree. The drive by wire is a pain. A lot of guys will run these with the stock computer from a 2006. In this case you would run the throttle pedal, and wire everything how it normally would.

In my case I plan to ditch it, and run megasquirt and use a drive by cable throttle body from a 5.0L Ford engine. 

TheV8Kid
TheV8Kid HalfDork
10/9/18 8:55 p.m.
Patrick said:

Handy of the General to put the injectors directly into the cylinder head, eh?

Yeah. BIG time! This would have been a lot more difficult without that.

TheV8Kid
TheV8Kid HalfDork
10/13/18 7:31 p.m.

Intake is done.

TheV8Kid
TheV8Kid HalfDork
10/15/18 8:01 p.m.

I started on the exhaust manifold. I ran out of gas for the welder unfortunately. Oh well. Another day.

It's starting to look like something.

MrJoshua
MrJoshua UltimaDork
10/15/18 8:16 p.m.

What does your merge cone look like for a 6 into one?

TheV8Kid
TheV8Kid HalfDork
10/15/18 8:21 p.m.

In reply to MrJoshua :

I actually bought that piece. I certainly could have made it, but for $75, I think it was worth the time saved. It looks something like this.

JmfnB
JmfnB GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/16/18 4:05 p.m.
MrJoshua said:

What does your merge cone look like for a 6 into one?

I'm betting you wer thinking the same as me... a goofy 6 to 3 to 1 contraption. Sometimes I think I'm more of an idiot than I actually am.

java230
java230 UltraDork
10/16/18 4:40 p.m.

So much awesome

BirgerBuilder
BirgerBuilder Reader
10/16/18 5:39 p.m.

Great work all around, man. I need to finish that tig cooler I was building...

1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... 20

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
cUF9hiQ8KsJsh84NgssuHkFcRiCkZpasOlQ8FZ4wjTpEJbZ9Yif0gyDQ9GFh3JVL