1 2 3 4
Duder
Duder New Reader
12/7/17 2:34 p.m.

In reply to mazdeuce - Seth :

I highly recommend the mid-80s Hilux! They are quite agricultural in stock 4WD form. Lots of porpoising over any highway surface that isn't perfectly smooth. My father had a long bed Xtra-cab 2WD '86 and the ride was much more smooth and composed. They are tiny little trucks compared to today's Tacomas and similar, but I went everywhere in that thing.

This was the most reliable older vehicle I've ever owned. It helped that this one was well maintained by a single family until I bought it. I only had a few minor issues (clogged fuel filter and failed clutch slave cylinder come to mind). The 22R has a propensity to blow head gaskets and this one was right on the edge at 200k miles; starting to consume coolant and foul the plugs. I did a partial rebuild on a very low mile engine and it came out great. Didn't feel any more powerful but was refreshed and ready for another 200k miles.

MulletTruck
MulletTruck Reader
12/8/17 9:19 a.m.

Duder said:
MulletTruck said:

In reply to Duder :

Do you want a free frame and suspension for your cab/bed in your garage?

I'm assuming you saw my post in the Rice Rod thread - what kind of frame and suspension are we talking here?

1985 Toyota Extracab Pickup. 2WD

Yours for free if you want it. Im selling the engine and trans on Saturday, He may take the steering box too. All suspension is there, Its a roller.

MulletTruck
MulletTruck Reader
12/8/17 9:44 a.m.
Duder said:

In reply to mazdeuce - Seth :

They are tiny little trucks compared to today's Tacomas and similar, but I went everywhere in that thing.

Yeah, Little is a bit of an understatement.

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth MegaDork
12/8/17 9:51 a.m.

In reply to Duder :

It's really just a matter of stumbling across the right one at the right time. I'll probably do something dumb like fly and drive to get one eventually. 

java230
java230 SuperDork
12/8/17 10:10 a.m.

In reply to MulletTruck :

Uhhhh is the black truck yours too?? 

MulletTruck
MulletTruck Reader
12/8/17 11:35 a.m.
java230 said:

In reply to MulletTruck :

Uhhhh is the black truck yours too?? 

Nope, That is one of Kibbetechs builds. I just thought it would be a funny picture. I could never afford one of his trucks.

Duder
Duder New Reader
12/8/17 1:12 p.m.
MulletTruck said: 1985 Toyota Extracab Pickup. 2WD

Yours for free if you want it. Im selling the engine and trans on Saturday, He may take the steering box too. All suspension is there, Its a roller.

Thanks for the kind offer but I'll have to pass on that. I don't have any use for it at the moment. I have an original '32 Ford truck frame for that project, for title & registration purposes at the least.

Duder
Duder New Reader
12/8/17 1:26 p.m.

Blam! Alex said he would be working on this thing a lot in the near future, but I didn't expect the passenger's side cab mount to be done so soon. Many CAD templates were used in its creation; I can vouch for that.

I think this photo gives a better overview of where this is on the firewall and how it's connected to the Vic frame. You can also see one of our little temporary cab locators tacked to the bottom left corner.

Thinkkker
Thinkkker UltraDork
12/8/17 5:50 p.m.

So did I miss the thread where you put the crown vic body on the truck frame and use the old *Yblock?* engine for a lemons car?

My wife loves the old trucks, for a safer, more comfy driver I keep coming back to doing this....

Duder
Duder New Reader
12/8/17 7:31 p.m.

In reply to Thinkkker :

Ha! Sadly no, that project didn't happen because our pickup came sans drivetrain, and the Crown Vic body was too far cut up to save. Well it didn't happen for a few other reasons as well. As much as I appreciate the weird & wacky cars of Lemons, and admire those who build and run them, my team has different priorities (namely, go fast, get lots of track time, don't spend much). We sold the pickup frame to a local guy and the Vic body has probably been recycled into Korean microwave ovens by now.

I'm glad to type more about our decision making process that led to this project happening, if you need an enabler...

1 2 3 4
Our Preferred Partners
yfMBThas0Ha3sTfiQyjZYtCQofAU22r9