1 2
JacktheRiffer
JacktheRiffer Reader
11/1/14 10:59 a.m.

Well I have decided to put my Z track car build on hold while I work on this mess: [URL=http://s1089.photobucket.com/user/MrValentine1383/media/Mobile%20Uploads/20141019_155537_zpsbhhgrdvw.jpg.html][/URL]

Hoping I can slap it together and flip it with enough profit to help build the track car.

Nitroracer
Nitroracer SuperDork
11/1/14 3:25 p.m.

Looks like there will be a couple hours of work involved with this build. Keep us posted.

bgkast
bgkast GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
11/1/14 4:42 p.m.

NOHOME
NOHOME PowerDork
11/1/14 8:12 p.m.

I look at that and see 10-15k that needs to get spent. Plus about 1000 hours of my free time.

How much can you sell a bug for?

Granted I am talking a full restoration to pretty much new condition, but still, how do you make money on something that needs that much labour?

I have made decent coin assembling cars from that stage when the owner brings it to me and wants it assembled. I have never made money assembling one on spec.

Kenny_McCormic
Kenny_McCormic PowerDork
11/1/14 9:42 p.m.

In reply to NOHOME:

I see them like this on CL occasionally where they are pretty much complete and ready for paint and assembly(or already painted sometimes), then the owner loses interest and sells is for $2000.

Not sure if this is the case here though, took me a minute to figure out the thing sticking out the front of the trailer is the pan...

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe SuperDork
11/1/14 11:26 p.m.

There is no profit in that car except as parts. Oval window maybe but a 65 as a start I wish you luck.

JacktheRiffer
JacktheRiffer Reader
11/2/14 1:09 a.m.

Got it for 500$. Seller is a good friend and wanted it gone. Not doing anywhere near full resto. Pretty much just slap it together and get it gone.

Kenny_McCormic
Kenny_McCormic PowerDork
11/2/14 1:30 a.m.

How much do you expect to get for a slapped together midyear bug? Serious question, I don't mean to rag on you, just trying to see the logic. Has the market on the lower end of driver grade bugs gone up that much since I looked last?

JacktheRiffer
JacktheRiffer Reader
11/2/14 1:39 a.m.

Not expecting much. Last one that I remember being involved in that sold here went for 5k if I recall. That wasnt a resto either. We just got it running then sold it, didnt even hose it off. The trendy kids around here eat them up.

Kenny_McCormic
Kenny_McCormic PowerDork
11/2/14 1:41 a.m.

Ah, local market differences, carry on then.

Mad_Ratel
Mad_Ratel Reader
11/2/14 5:25 a.m.

I know a guy that is on his third "donor" beetle tryign to finish teh first one. Each one has been so rusted out that it has been difficult for him to finish his resto..

Good luck but I'd never put "beetle" and "flip for money" in the same sentence myself.

JacktheRiffer
JacktheRiffer Reader
11/2/14 1:20 p.m.

This beetle was kept in agarge so very minor rust. And yea market differences are nice when they work in your favor .

JacktheRiffer
JacktheRiffer Reader
11/23/14 12:42 a.m.

Got the beetle inside so I can work through the winter  photo 20141110_115640_zps9ilwvep2.jpg

Im off work next wednesday and Im hoping to get quite abit done then.

JacktheRiffer
JacktheRiffer Reader
12/7/14 10:20 a.m.

Quick update with no pictures: Got all surface rust taken care of and found no structural rust which is nice. Next step is rebuilding the engine. Anybody have tips on this step?

bgkast
bgkast GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
12/7/14 10:41 a.m.

Don't just slap in some new bearings and rings with no machine work like my BIL did when he "rebuilt" his.

JacktheRiffer
JacktheRiffer Reader
1/13/15 8:21 p.m.

Ended up getting a new fully built case from a friend in my local Z club. Traded some carbs for it. Ordered a new set of cylinder jugs and pistons along with shocks and empi wheels. About ready to begin assembling this thing.

Mad_Ratel
Mad_Ratel Reader
1/13/15 8:31 p.m.
JacktheRiffer wrote: Ended up getting a new fully built case from a friend in my local Z club. Traded some carbs for it. Ordered a new set of cylinder jugs and pistons along with shocks and empi wheels. About ready to begin assembling this thing.

i find it so amazing that you can do that for the vw. For a porsche? ordering some jugs and matching pistons is 2 to 5k. alone...

84FSP
84FSP Reader
1/13/15 8:43 p.m.

They seem to be bringing more money these days. There are fewer and fewer nice examples than haven't rusted out or been turned to Baja's...

JacktheRiffer
JacktheRiffer Reader
1/14/15 12:09 a.m.

This one is so clean I still think im not seeing something. Only bad spot was about the size of a quarter.

TeamEvil
TeamEvil HalfDork
1/14/15 1:58 p.m.

This will give ypu and idea of the value of the '65 Beetle in various stages or repair and condition:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/search.php?submit=yes&keywords=1965&type=text&stype=all&username=&yearfrom=&yearto=&pricefrom=&priceto=&model[]=&section[]=1&wanted=show&zip=&zipdist=0&state[]=&usaregion=&country=&sort=date&sort_order=DESC&submitButton=Search

Around here in New England, the pre-1968 Beetles always bring good money and that one shows a TON of promise ! !

Be sure to take pictures as you go, a photo-log of the ressurection will go a long way when selling it. Buyers LOVE to see what went into the car that they're getting.

Best of luck ! A Beetle reconstruction is ALWAYS a lot of fun, they go back together easily and the parts (new and used) are everywhere.

We're doing a VW dune buggy and a '66 Walk-Through VW van right now, got a Ghia "roadster" coming in in the early Spring that needs the roof put back on.

TC

CarKid1989
CarKid1989 SuperDork
1/14/15 8:50 p.m.

Since you have it all apart could you take a few measurements for me ?

JThw8
JThw8 PowerDork
1/14/15 9:00 p.m.
CarKid1989 wrote: Since you have it all apart could you take a few measurements for me ?

what measurements are ya lookin fer Kev? I'll shoot you a message on FB

JacktheRiffer
JacktheRiffer Reader
2/25/15 9:53 a.m.

Cleaned up the front suspension this weekend. Thankfully it was in pretty good shape. Only one bad bearing which is way les than i was expecting. Ill have pics up when i get home.

jhockey4
jhockey4 New Reader
2/25/15 10:05 a.m.

More pictures!

El Cheapo
El Cheapo HalfDork
2/26/15 8:44 p.m.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
NmgoEatQ1TX1PpRT7YrkSRwUYO7dz7GglrNUXGi3n1TJVz1z1mpd4WTyaa1f0VNB