1 2 3 4 5
pimpm3
pimpm3 SuperDork
9/1/18 9:31 p.m.

I think they kind of look like panasports or minilites.

dj06482
dj06482 GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
9/1/18 9:37 p.m.
pimpm3 said:

I think they kind of look like panasports or minilites.

That's what I thought they were until I zoomed in!

GTXVette
GTXVette SuperDork
9/2/18 6:50 a.m.

since Patrick said it first, not,  not such a bad looking wheel but not on that car. being silver you can dress it up or make it look mean, that leaves minilite or look alike or rally sports no trim ring 8 inch x 15, all that chrome has to go,

I forgot what you said about the wheels that were on the Fiero at the Challenge, I could use a 7.5 / 8.0 x 16 if anyone has some, 5 x 100 mm. 

Patrick
Patrick GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/2/18 8:55 a.m.

I think the 16” irocs with the chin spoiler are going to be your best combo.  The 15” camaro wheels are ok but when they went to the 16” iroc gm won, until they did the gold or black mesh GTA wheels.  Speaking of which, it would look incredible with some black GTA mesh wheels.

GTXVette
GTXVette SuperDork
9/2/18 10:16 a.m.

do you remember about 72 chevy had a 5 spoke on camaro's /chevelle's can't remember which but they look great on a 'vair, or a 55 chevy .

Vigo
Vigo UltimaDork
9/2/18 10:39 a.m.

I think the bmw wheels look pretty good on there. Needs 'tuned in' a little with some spacers and coloring over the roundels.

pimpm3
pimpm3 SuperDork
9/2/18 11:09 a.m.

I definitely would not keep the roundels on there. 

I already own the M3 wheels which is a huge bonus.  The IROC wheels I bought would need tires so figure an extra $400. 

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/2/18 11:15 a.m.

START

Does PimpM3 dig it?

IF yes

THEN rock it

ELSE change it

END

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
SyntheticBlinkerFluid UltimaDork
9/2/18 11:17 a.m.

I like the BMW wheels. Here’s some other aftermarket and OEM wheels people have done. 

pimpm3
pimpm3 SuperDork
9/2/18 11:20 a.m.

I would love a set of the mesh 17's from the second picture but they are hard to come by and pricey.

GTXVette
GTXVette SuperDork
9/2/18 1:07 p.m.

Angry is Right !

HECK i'm Stoked you bought a Corvair, and seem to dig it.

Rock ON.

PS  the last burgundy car had those 5 spokes, but the mesh on a couple of them was Awesome too, even made a 4 Door look sharp

mikedd969
mikedd969 New Reader
9/2/18 2:20 p.m.

Congratulations!  That is a stunning looking car!!  

I have always loved Corvairs, even though I have never even ridden in, let alone driven one.  I have a weakness for "unusual" cars, and an American air-cooled flat six definitely qualifies.  

I don't know a ton about them, but from all I understand, their "deathtrap" reputation was largely undeserved. It seems that Nader used them to make a name for himself and gain political advantage. As I understand it once the problem with the early first-generation swing axle rear were corrected in 1964 (?) by including the transverse leaf on the rear and an anti-sway bar on the front they were as safe as pretty much anything else being produced at the time.

On the wheel choice, I actually prefer the look of those stock steelies with the hubcaps, but a close second is that first pic in SyntheticBlinkerFluid's last post.  Those look awesome and almost look like they could have been a factory option. 

pres589
pres589 PowerDork
9/2/18 2:54 p.m.

Slot mags? Steel rally wheels? Phone Dials? 

AngryCorvair
9/2/18 5:24 p.m.

In reply to mikedd969 :

Yep, that's a pretty accurate synopsis.

GTXVette
GTXVette SuperDork
9/2/18 6:51 p.m.

Corvette's are Buggy Sprung.

Corvair's have coil springs

GTXVette
GTXVette SuperDork
9/2/18 6:52 p.m.

Corvette's are Buggy Sprung.

Corvair's have coil springs

AngryCorvair
9/2/18 7:12 p.m.

In reply to GTXVette :

'64 Corvair cars had transverse monoleaf on rear in addition to the coils.

mikedd969
mikedd969 New Reader
9/2/18 9:31 p.m.

In reply to AngryCorvair :

That's how I understand it.  In 64 the transverse spring was added and the front sway bar was made standard equipment. So it's only the 60-63 cars that had those severe handling issues that led to increased rollover risk.  Damn!  Now that this thread has me researching Corvair history......I want one too!!  laugh  Not gonna happen though, but a guy can dream.....

stuart in mn
stuart in mn UltimaDork
9/2/18 11:07 p.m.

There was also an aftermarket bolt on transverse spring thingy / camber compensator that was available for the early Corvairs to reduce the handling problems.  It was also used on 1961-1963 Pontiac Tempests, as they had a similar suspension and transaxle setup.  Empi was one manufacturer, I think there were others as well.

Kramer
Kramer Dork
9/3/18 1:24 p.m.

Can anyone guess what wheels these are?  This is the 1967 110pg that I grew up driving in 1987.  Looked good in this pic, but lots of Bondo (some over top of duct tape) so the restoration didn't last long.  

The wheels are plastic wheel covers.  They fooled a lot of people from 10 feet away.  

Jim Pettengill
Jim Pettengill HalfDork
9/3/18 2:09 p.m.

Thought it interesting that in his column in R&T a couple of issues ago, Bob Lutz - car company honcho, car guy, jet pilot, who has owned and/or driven just about everything -says his favorite car - not the best or fastest, his words - was his early Corvair Monza 4-door with Konis, quick steering arms, Michelins and a compensator.

pimpm3
pimpm3 SuperDork
9/8/18 6:51 a.m.

Stopped for breakfast on the way to cars and coffee.  Notice the new spoiler I threw on last night...

759NRNG
759NRNG SuperDork
9/8/18 7:28 a.m.

looookin' goooood!!!!! 

pimpm3
pimpm3 SuperDork
9/8/18 8:37 a.m.

Cars and coffee.  A ton of people were checking it out.

pimpm3
pimpm3 SuperDork
9/11/18 6:43 p.m.

I put the m3 wheels on it for now.  It looks really nice in person.  They were free so that helps too...

1 2 3 4 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
iINRgxSiyZIEdXB5pIhFOpptmAjDZkDf1WE6QF9PX3CW58eIJ0tFN8aLeq4CVodk