MG Bryan
MG Bryan SuperDork
7/12/14 11:27 p.m.

[Pictures to follow & updates to be spaced very far apart]

I've had this car since my failed attempt at a college education. At some point, during that time in my life, it had a wiring fire. The damn previous owner did some brilliant work in his misguided attempts at modifying it; I bought it anyway and paid a toll for my indiscretion. Somehow I managed to develop a serious blowby problem and spun a bearing - that was all my fault.

Far too many years later, I find myself with all of the time in the world to work on the car but no opportunity thanks to storage and logistical considerations. Occasionally, Uncle Sam lets me go home on leave.

I daily a 2006 Honda S2000, but I can't stomach another door ding on that car. I'm also way too in love with how it drives and sentimental about it to a fault; so, selling it isn't an option. The Honda will live in my parents barn until I have adequate storage for it of my own. My Miata will be parked right outside the barn; so the S2k will be in good company.

I came to the brilliant conclusion that fixing and daily driving the MG would be a more financially responsible option than buying a 5th car. So began the saga of putting together an MGB that I can use for everything from transportation to escaping the overbearing nature of adulthood.

I have more parts for MGs than I know, including four engines between two cars - the '66 that I'm working on and a '70 BGT. Some are more usable than others and after all of my nonsense gets packed up and moved to a new space, God only knows what I'll find. What I'm working with essentially comes down to a 66 MGB with fiberglass front fenders and hacked up quarter panels. I've never gotten the door gaps even and I honestly don't know why. The car isn't particularly rusty, though, which is the only shining grace.

I had some leave recently and got to working on it. I finished stripping the crusty old wiring harness from the car, thew a set of rust free doors on the car and did a full refresh of the front suspension. I have a block ready to go to the machinist and a line on a Datsun 280Z transmission to do the 5 speed conversion. I have a Weber 38/38 downdraft for when I get the engine together. I'd like to go to Mikunis once I have the car back on the road, but I have to use some of what I have for the time being.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/13/14 6:48 a.m.

So you're a sports car guy?

NOHOME
NOHOME SuperDork
7/13/14 7:30 a.m.

I do MGBs in my sleep, post if you need help.

sethmeister4
sethmeister4 Dork
7/13/14 8:06 a.m.

Saw an awesome Austin Healey Sprite yesterday...kinda made me want to get into old British cars! Looking forward to seeing pics of your MG and watching your progress! You are crazy with all those convertibles!

MG Bryan
MG Bryan SuperDork
7/13/14 8:59 a.m.

I have to host pictures somewhere in order to post them here, right? It's been a while.

Yes, I have too many convertibles, I know. In my defense though, the S2000 is the only one that I don't have a hard top for. Maybe when I finish the MG, I'll be able to afford to build an Exocet out of the Miata. Not really sure where that one is heading right now.

MG Bryan
MG Bryan SuperDork
7/13/14 9:00 a.m.
Woody wrote: So you're a sports car guy?

No, I hate them. What I really want is a beige, late model Toyota Corolla with an automatic transmission.

MG Bryan
MG Bryan SuperDork
7/13/14 9:01 a.m.
NOHOME wrote: I do MGBs in my sleep, post if you need help.

Have anything you want to sell?

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Kc158q32JogGJhMdSyFl4tRQOQPpjscirp0Z6Mff0oDtVHcWjGE7YqQ9e15WEgHA