java230
java230 SuperDork
9/18/17 7:46 p.m.

Ill just leave this here....

mazdeuce
mazdeuce MegaDork
9/18/17 8:06 p.m.

In reply to java230 :

The current rules for the big trucks are interesting. Back in the 80's they were running completely insane full prototypes. Then they had a couple of VERY high speed crashes (the trucks had the highest top speeds in the events) and then introduced sanity. You have to run the same basic suspension that the "street" trucks run. If the truck comes with leaves, you run leaves, and most of the trucks come with leaves. Current tech adds spring through additional shocks with coils, and I can't figure out if the front locating links are stock based or added on, but they could go either way, and since they're not triangulated it would be very easy to add them. No worries about bushing compliance.  

Reading about big truck suspension is interesting. Because they're so heavy (each wheel/tire is over 400 lbs) they tend to reshape the earth. In rough terrain the bikes have to choose their lines carefully or get thrown. The cars need to watch for car breaking bumps. The trucks just sort of drive through and the ground becomes smooth as they pass. Dynamically it's fascinating. 

java230
java230 SuperDork
9/18/17 8:24 p.m.

In reply to Mazdeuce :

Yeah its pretty incredible. I'm one of the f5'ers on adv for the Dakar days, looking forward to it! Jan 6-20 ish iirc this year.

I think the locating link is race truck parts, never seen an OE setup like that. 

mazdeuce
mazdeuce MegaDork
9/19/17 7:19 a.m.

Stickers in the wild. laugh This is the emotional equivalent of having someone other than your mom hang a piece of your artwork in their home. 

More shirts going out today. Also just sent a bunch of PM's asking for addresses, I'll get the rest of them out after I get home from dropping off the deucelings. If you don't get a message from me by the end of the day, please email me at ttwo.elm at gmail.com and send my your address with your user name so I can cross it off the list!  Thanks guys, this is fun. laugh

Recon1342
Recon1342 Reader
9/19/17 9:51 a.m.

In reply to mazdeuce : I sent you a message, just not sure if you got it...

mazdeuce
mazdeuce MegaDork
9/19/17 10:02 a.m.

The reason I can give away t-shirts for fun is that the process is easy, and fun. laugh 
I'm doing some instructor runs in the R63 this weekend with PCA and I thought I needed a shirt just for the occasion. Because I had the design done already the whole process took me less than 15 minutes. Owning the tools to do this is dangerous.
Step 1 is to remember to reverse the design. Vinyl cuts regular, iron ons cut mirror.

Then send it to the crappy craft level vinyl cutter that Mrs. Deuce really wants me to get off the living room floor.

Next comes a process called weeding. Everything you don't want on the shirt needs to be peeled off the backing. This is a design consideration with artwork. If it's outside the design it comes off with the big background piece. If it's inside, you have to get out the pokers and tweezers and tease it out. The more complex a design the longer this takes. Words are very easy to type out in the design phase, but take FOREVER to weed.

The backing is slightly sticky so it stays in place once you position it on the shirt. I'm using my shirt press because I have it, but you can do this with an iron too. It takes longer but the shirts I made with an iron a couple years ago have held up well. They press is 305 degrees for 13 seconds. Peel off the plastic and you're done!

The takeaway from this is that making a small run of shirts can be done by anyone who has access to a guy who has access to a vinyl cutter (wink wink, nudge nudge). The shirt cost me $2.50 and I used about $0.75 in iron on for this. If you're looking at less than 10 shirts for a challenge team or the like, find a guy to cut you the design and hand it to you so you can iron it on yourself. He could even mail the iron ons across the country to you. cheeky

Time to go do actual truck work now.

Gentabout
Gentabout New Reader
9/19/17 12:44 p.m.

Shirts look great. I did PM my address details but can't find where to check on the forum so hopefully you got it.

FunkyCricket
FunkyCricket New Reader
9/19/17 1:49 p.m.

stickers received, need to clean the sap off window, time is the problem now. I am also my kids school bus, a very busy network/security engineer, and husband to a teacher (so she has no time now at beginning of year) so I am full time house boy as well. :P Pics to come soon-ish.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce MegaDork
9/19/17 1:54 p.m.

In reply to Gentabout :

I do have your info. I'm still trying to figure out if it's best to send it directly to you or to SEMA, to Sweden, and then to you. 

To everyone else that has sent me something, I've got it. Almost certainly. We're about 2/3 through matching user names with addresses and getting shirts packed and crosssed off the list. If for some reason we're not communicating, you'll know in the next couple of days because you'll be the last guy on the list and I'll call you out specifically in this thread. Until then, if you've sent me an address, assume your shirt is on the way, it probably is. 

And yes, I need to find a better way to do this. cheeky

Pulled the bumper, the box that holds the shift bellcrank and hydraulic lines, and the rest of the stuff off the front of the frame. That bundle is the entirety of the chassis and engine wiring. The 60's were a simpler time. 

Just want to point out that International saw fit to put speed holes in the front crossmember. Pretty sure they intended this to be a race truck from the beginning. laugh

oldopelguy
oldopelguy UltraDork
9/19/17 3:02 p.m.

If you iron what you weeded out to a screen you can use it for screen printing or as a paint stencil.

Do you use Inkscape or Sir-cuts-a-lot for creating images? My brother recommend both as freeware options he uses a lot.

Recon1342
Recon1342 Reader
9/20/17 1:04 a.m.

It's amazing how short your wiring runs become when you drop the cab on top of the motor, isn't it?  I can't believe it's down to just frame now, more or less. It's really a toss up as to which thread is better, this or Fergus'... 

Trans_Maro
Trans_Maro PowerDork
9/20/17 1:22 a.m.

In reply to java230 :

Am I the only one surprised by the size of that bottle jack, relative to what it's supporting?

BrokenYugo
BrokenYugo MegaDork
9/20/17 2:51 a.m.

In reply to Trans_Maro :

Looks like a 12 ton unit, the front axle weight is probably less than half that.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce MegaDork
9/20/17 7:28 a.m.

Only five people on the original list and then I'll sort through the extras and the people that have asked for them. 

oldtin
Recon1342 (if you live in ID then I have your address, I just needed to make sure it was you)
Stay_One_Benz
Ronson

mikedd969

If you could send my your address and include your user name to ttwo.elm at gmail.com I'll get them out to you. 

Crackers
Crackers HalfDork
9/20/17 9:15 a.m.

In reply to Trans_Maro :

Not surprised so much as impressed.

I often feel the same way when using a 5/16" chain to pull a big block. I know that technically, it's perfectly adequate, but still makes me sweat. 

What I want to know is how they get adequate lift to get the vehicle up from a flat tire high enough to get an inflated one back on. I have enough trouble getting my K2500 with street tires high enough in that scenario. 

java230
java230 SuperDork
9/20/17 10:09 a.m.

In reply to Crackers :

Air jack :D

And the green truck, one of Derooy's is 20k loaded and race ready, 840hp 2655 ft lbs of torque (2014 specs anyway, and able to shift between power levels on the fly)

Crackers
Crackers HalfDork
9/20/17 10:20 a.m.

OK, I didn't think they'd be using a bottle jack. 

coexist
coexist Reader
9/20/17 10:54 a.m.

Probably be a good idea to get used to wearing your race suit for your drives in Ferdinand. It's a good look.

Gentabout
Gentabout New Reader
9/20/17 11:27 a.m.
mazdeuce said:

In reply to Gentabout :

I do have your info. I'm still trying to figure out if it's best to send it directly to you or to SEMA, to Sweden, and then to you. 

Ok cool. I'll leave it in you capable hands. I tried to check the shipping rates from the US to the UK couldn't find it. But I did find what it would cost to send from here to the US for an envelope up to 2.5cm that would fit a t-shirt I think and it comes in at about £7.50 providing its under 500g. Would happily send you some dosh to cover the shipping or if you want to send me any others for Europe I could push them through my mail room ;) as we ship many parcels daily all over Europe. 

mazdeuce
mazdeuce MegaDork
9/20/17 12:55 p.m.

Deucekid#3 had a fever late yesterday. Even though she's feeling pretty good, rules are rules so no school today. She ran around with me and mailed shirts, stopped at HD to grab some washers to act as spacers to mount the wire wheel to my bench grinder, and then we washed the front frame section of Ferdinand. 

I have some other work to do, but I think we're just going to hang out and watch cartoons for the last hour and a bit before we have to go pick up kids. 

FunkyCricket
FunkyCricket New Reader
9/20/17 1:39 p.m.

Cartoon time with kids can be good time. Get the cuddles while you can.

Hammeringman
Hammeringman New Reader
9/20/17 4:19 p.m.

The shirt and stickers have arrived! Dude, you rock!

mazdeuce
mazdeuce MegaDork
9/20/17 5:21 p.m.
Hammeringman said:

The shirt and stickers have arrived! Dude, you rock!

That makes me happy.  laugh

In the last three days I've mailed out 52 bags of shirts and stickers. Five more to go. One local pickup. Four to Europe. Feels good. 

coexist
coexist Reader
9/20/17 6:40 p.m.

Yeah, thanks for the package. I showed it to my partner KBomb and asked for her interpretation of the cup and wrench logo. In order:

" Well hung?"

" Ambidextrous?"

" Two fisted Drinker?"

Thanks for growing the community.

oldtin
oldtin PowerDork
9/20/17 6:49 p.m.

address sent - oops - thought you already had it. BTW I have a large format printer if you ever want a poster or banner...

1 ... 34 35 36 37 38 ... 74

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
43JZhgFe3m02a2wIzRWkJ1U2HiQngsthpc3fTYS6AHz4wGklAKh59kQei0da0EhS