Slammo
Slammo New Reader
10/1/17 9:31 p.m.

Did someone say shenanigans?

bluesideup
bluesideup HalfDork
10/1/17 9:57 p.m.
96extcab said:

With that short wheelbase it must have spent half its life airborne!

Nash
Nash New Reader
10/2/17 3:27 a.m.
mazdeuce said:

In reply to rich_27:

A Phillips screw is torque limited. Part of it's design is actually to start to cam out as torque rises which keeps the torque down and the head from popping off. This is why the hammer impact works so well, because your smashing it into the hole at the same time you're twisting. It was mostly used because it's ubiquitous and a good fastener for when you can't fit a wrench on the outside or the head needs to be flush or some other assembly reason. The square drive Roberts screw predates Phillips but that dude is Canadian and loves his patent enforcement so adoption was lower in the US historically. Allen holds more torque that Phillips but is worse at self cleaning and tends to corrode the hole shut faster. Allen wrenches are also less universal (historically) and you need a handful of them instead of just three common Phillips sizes. Last is torx, which self cleans even worse but holds tools and torque the best by far. I'm not even sure if you can get SAE thread Torx bolts.

Just to touch base on this, menards has some square drive Phillips combo screws that are phenomenal. My only grief towards square drive is the bits can only handle a couple hundred drives with the impact drivers if you're lucky.

Mad_Ratel
Mad_Ratel Dork
10/2/17 6:33 a.m.

Wore the shirt Friday.

1.) Put our oldest dog out of his misery at the vet. (Liver cancer had eaten his liver and spleen). 

2.) had fun with family A lot of fun with family. I got a few questions on the shirt. Mom's a 3rd grade teacher and she loved it. 

I'm fairly sure until I wear it out, it will be my Friday activities shirt.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ UltraDork
10/2/17 7:25 a.m.
mazdeuce said:

It's been said around here that "perfect is the enemy of good enough", but it's a hell of a lot harder to live that than say it. 

I attribute nearly all of the success I've found in life to the following of that philosophy cheeky

stuart in mn
stuart in mn UltimaDork
10/2/17 9:02 a.m.
96extcab said:

s

That white Ford cabover in the background is pretty interesting, is it a four wheel drive?  In fact you have a whole lot of interesting trucks in that building.  I think you need to start your own picture thread on them.  smiley

mazdeuce
mazdeuce MegaDork
10/2/17 10:57 a.m.

In reply to 96extcab :

Pretty sure I need you to send me pictures so I can figure out how to put mine back together. laugh
Feel free to ask away though, there isn't much I haven't touched. The wheelbase on that truck is absurd, I love it, and I agree, that we need a picture tour of all the cool stuff hanging out in that massive building. 

mazdeuce
mazdeuce MegaDork
10/2/17 11:02 a.m.

In reply to Mad_Ratel :

Sorry about your weekend. I'm glad your mom liked the shirt and that you enjoy wearing it. My oldest daughter refuses to wear hers to school for fear that she'll have to answer questions about what it is. cheeky

In reply to Slammo :

There was a time when we'd take a guy like you in the back and beat you with a hose. 

ggrjr
ggrjr New Reader
10/2/17 11:28 a.m.

My shirt came last week while I was out of town. Looks great. Wife and girls looked at me rather strangely when I explained both pictures.

StayOne_Benz
StayOne_Benz New Reader
10/2/17 12:27 p.m.

Got my shirt and stickers last week! Thanks again to you and Mrs. Deuce for being awesome. I'll post pictures this week as soon as I finish paperwork on the new garage and the house that's attached to it!

mazdeuce
mazdeuce MegaDork
10/2/17 2:45 p.m.

Mrs. Deuce is mostly home for the next couple of weeks. This is going to affect work flow in a couple of ways. First, I actually like hanging out with her. When she's home I tend to do smaller jobs and wander inside more to bug her. This discourages me from attacking tasks like grinding and painting and promotes things like tidying up the Grosh. It's supposed to rain tomorrow so it's a good time to take a little break from the truck and build some shelves to put all of the truck parts on. Second, I kicked my work Crocs off this morning when I came inside and she saw them. "Something something my grandfather who lived through the depression wouldn't keep those something something hobo." 

I am officially back to one pair of Crocs. sad

96extcab
96extcab New Reader
10/2/17 8:31 p.m.

In reply to mazdeuce...and stuart in mn :

The truck in the background is actually an offensive shade of faded lime green.  Former airport crash truck, powered by the much-hated 8.2L Detroit Diesel Economiser.  Yes, it's 4 wheel drive, with Rockwells underneath it.

I'd love to post more photos, the old man (he's mid 60s, I get to call him old I think) is oddly, uh, protective of things, so I may be able to sneak a few more at a time here and there.  However, you've already seen the tow truck, so here's the tow truck, and its little brother. 

Tow truck is a 58 Dodge D700, with a 392 hemi, and a 5+3 speed.  The wrecker body is a Holmes 600. It needs a fuel system that doesn't consist of a jerry can. And a lot of wiring. 

And then this was a $500 purchase (split 2 ways, so we're in it for a TON).  59 Dodge D600.  Just figured out the other day that it has either a 56 (or was it 57...) Plymouth 241, or 260 in it. 5&2 speed.  It's rough.  But it keeps me off the streets.  Last time we ran it, it was shooting fire consistently, so we think there are a few things ever so slightly out of adjustment with the timing. indecision  It also needs a ton of wiring, since nothing works.  Actually, a step in the right direction would be connecting the alternator to, um, anything other than the bracket it is sitting on.  Also, an extension cord gave its life for the 2 speed rear end to function, as well as the ignition switch.  It will likely stay fairly rough visually, I honestly just want to haul a couple loads of mulch with it, and then I can feel like I've completed something.  This one is at my house, which probably makes me the only person with a 911 and a bright orange 1950s Dodge dump truck.  I've probably only got about 15 hours into it so far.  New brake lines for part of the braking system, pulling the carb, distributor, alternator, starting to pull the fuel tank...because this is also fueled by jerry can.  I need to order wire and get to it over the winter.  My hope is if I cut the top stone guard brackets off, I can pull it inside and wire in relative comfort.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn UltimaDork
10/2/17 9:15 p.m.
96extcab said:

In reply to mazdeuce...and stuart in mn :

Tow truck is a 58 Dodge D700, with a 392 hemi, and a 5+3 speed.  The wrecker body is a Holmes 600. It needs a fuel system that doesn't consist of a jerry can. And a lot of wiring. 

It's cool if your dad doesn't want to put pictures out there on the web.

I like the tow truck - when I was a kid in the early 60s, one of my older cousins was a hot rodder and he really liked hemis.  smiley  Among other things, he put a 392 in a D100 pickup of the same vintage.

Mad_Ratel
Mad_Ratel Dork
10/3/17 6:05 a.m.

I dream of having a dump truck like that. (I have a large slope to my house and a local dirt place that sells it ... DIRT cheap... :D)  (like $18 a twin axle load).  I'd spend every Friday running loads for the next few years but it'd be so worth it to level the backyard. 

LSxDreamer
LSxDreamer New Reader
10/3/17 9:33 p.m.

So I now find myself reading through that 112 page Mid-Century Modern thread on GJ... you're a cruel, cruel man Mr. Deuce.

birkenstockguy
birkenstockguy New Reader
10/4/17 7:54 a.m.

In reply to LSxDreamer :

It's probably one of the best threads on the internet. Gregor is amazingly candid with what he did correctly and incorrectly, and often how he would do it if he had to do it again.

Mazdeuce also had an epic good poured concrete home build thread somewhere. I'll have to dig to the dawn of time on our messages to see if I can find it.

ronniejay
ronniejay New Reader
10/4/17 9:10 a.m.

In reply to mazdeuce :

maz, a solution to your croc problem lies just where you placed it for the picture. Old FERDY's tires. Some skillful use of your jigsaw, some RTV silicone, and some clamps and you could re-thread 15 to 20 times! May be a tad heavy, but life is a series of compromises. 

douglawrence42
douglawrence42 New Reader
10/4/17 9:21 a.m.

In reply to ronniejay :

I did this as a high school-er.  I even went full dork with nylon webbing and buckles to attempt some sort of ghetto Teva.  The final appearance was actually excellent.  The weight was ridiculous, far worse than you can imagine.  The horrible smell was an added bonus.  Even my broke, non-caring, stubborn because hack sawing tires really sucks high school self elected to throw them away.

oldopelguy
oldopelguy UltraDork
10/4/17 12:13 p.m.

They are crocks, he would probably have good enough luck with layers of the inner tube.

corybrown50
corybrown50 New Reader
10/4/17 12:41 p.m.

You need the Bistros....supposed lifetime warranty on the bottoms....don't slip in water or oil....love them!!

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
10/4/17 1:41 p.m.

I didn't realize that wheelbase was so short!

mazdeuce
mazdeuce MegaDork
10/4/17 2:51 p.m.

In reply to 96extcab :

I was taking to 96extcab and we're trying to figure out why I can pick my cab up by myself and they need a tow truck because three guys can't get theirs to move. It's certainly not because of my my massive hulk like strength, so it must be in the hinges. I told him I'd take a couple of pictures and I figured I might as well post them here as well as send them to him. The theory is that there is some sort of torsion assist within the hinges themselves (rubber maybe?) but I can't see it. 

All you can really see and take a picture of is the base of the hinge where it attaches to the brackets on the frame. This is the only place where there is adjustability and maybe where our hinges are set up differently? 

mazdeuce
mazdeuce MegaDork
10/4/17 3:03 p.m.

The best part about sending out shirts has been hearing from people as they get them and open them. Even though I read and show Mrs. Deuce every email that I get, there isn't any way for me to post every note I get. I did get one the other day that made me ask if I could share, and he said yes.  

What we have here is a guy who spent his morning being the onsite medical guy for a rally team that was testing, which is one of the coolest ways there is to start a day. When the rally car broke, as rally cars do, he looked around at his options and decided to fire up his hill climb VW and snag his daughter from school for a father daughter racecar ice cream afternoon.  

I assure you that his telling of the story was more heartfelt than my second hand version. A tale of racecars and parenting and pure happiness at that moment in life. He more that paid me back for the shirt. 

Mad_Ratel
Mad_Ratel Dork
10/4/17 4:32 p.m.
mazdeuce said:

In reply to 96extcab :

I was taking to 96extcab and we're trying to figure out why I can pick my cab up by myself and they need a tow truck because three guys can't get theirs to move. It's certainly not because of my my massive hulk like strength, so it must be in the hinges. I told him I'd take a couple of pictures and I figured I might as well post them here as well as send them to him. The theory is that there is some sort of torsion assist within the hinges themselves (rubber maybe?) but I can't see it. 

All you can really see and take a picture of is the base of the hinge where it attaches to the brackets on the frame. This is the only place where there is adjustability and maybe where our hinges are set up differently? 

I think I can see somehting similar to the torsion bars on the rear of a 911 in the last picture. basically a hollow or solid steel tube with hashes on the outside.  hinge and body both hold on, rod turns.  

Though the 911's is ~1ft long and this appears much much shorter. 

XLR99
XLR99 GRM+ Memberand Dork
10/4/17 4:44 p.m.

I was also thinking maybe torsion bars inside that hinge.  Looks like there may be a pinch bolt there just to the left of the cast hinge. 

My son loves his shirt.  He's worn it at least every other day.  Seems apropos that he was wearing it while learning the fine art of adding lights to his truck:

1 ... 43 44 45 46 47 ... 74

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
7SfLrkUPAawRTqcm5pQ2bMRmWIbtMYLoNanz5lBB3iU1NKBh6cmcvuABpYIa5QSw