1 ... 44 45 46 47 48 ... 74
oldopelguy
oldopelguy UltraDork
10/4/17 6:37 p.m.

There is a torsion spring in the hinge, and it didn't work the first few times I moved the cab on Ferdinand either. That's why I always opened both doors to tilt the cab, to shift their weight a bit and let me muscle it. If you can move it yourself then it must be loosening up and getting better.

hhaase
hhaase HalfDork
10/6/17 4:36 p.m.

Wanna keep it as "South Dakota" as possible?   This popped onto craigslist today....

https://siouxfalls.craigslist.org/grd/d/free-gaskets-ihc-v8/6335671200.html

96extcab
96extcab New Reader
10/7/17 10:08 a.m.

In reply to mazdeuce :

Thanks for posting these up! I'm going to send them to my dad and see what he can figure out. It'd be great if we could come up with a relatively easy fix....

Willis
Willis New Reader
10/8/17 5:57 p.m.

While Ferdinand may have a gentle soul, my father in laws COE didn't take to kindly to me waking it up after 13 years of hibernation in the maple forest.

Love the shirt.  Thanks!

mazdeuce
mazdeuce MegaDork
10/8/17 7:45 p.m.

In reply to Willis :

You just made Mrs. Deuce laugh uproriously. I might have to come drag that one out of the weeds next. laugh

pheo
pheo New Reader
10/8/17 8:25 p.m.

I got to the pic and started laughing, that was great and I needed it, Thank you!

Willis
Willis New Reader
10/9/17 5:55 a.m.

Here are some other pictures I took.  It's a 62 C60 Viking, which I'm reading is pretty rare?  It has a 327 in it and a 2 speed rear end.  Everything still worked on the truck as of the last time it ran.  My FIL told a few stories of how when dumping some heavy loads the entire truck would tip back if the load got hung up on the tailgate.  It's crazy how short the wheel base is for a dump truck.   He said he has seen the sky on more than one occasion

Sorry for over exposure

If anyone was interested in it, he would "sell" it.devil

darkclaw47
darkclaw47 New Reader
10/9/17 9:07 a.m.

Went to a movie this weekend this was one of the trailers. Found it to be appropriate to this thread.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n7RkOfN8KvE

stuart in mn
stuart in mn UltimaDork
10/9/17 9:38 a.m.
Willis said:

Here are some other pictures I took.  It's a 62 C60 Viking, which I'm reading is pretty rare?  It has a 327 in it and a 2 speed rear end. 

If anyone was interested in it, he would "sell" it.devil

I had a summer job during college driving a mid-1960s Chevy C50 cabover box truck, it was a bouncy ride but I enjoyed it...if I had the space, time and energy I'd be interested, but unfortunately I have none of those at the moment.  sad

oldopelguy
oldopelguy UltraDork
10/9/17 9:59 a.m.

The shifter on that Viking is interesting; it is mounted to a panel that doesn't move when the cab is tipped forward and that panel just seals around the edge with a gasket to the cab. 

That design could be just the ticket for the brake and clutch master cylinders on Ferdinand.  Mount the clutch and brake pedal and master cylinders to something under the floor, and have them pass up through a panel fixed to them, but not to the cab floor.  With the right size panel and right pedal geometry the cab could tilt and leave the pedals just moving into the free space in front of the seat.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce MegaDork
10/9/17 10:00 a.m.

The first time I was thrown the keys to a dump truck was when I was 18 and working for the Michigan Department of Natural Resources. It was a medium duty Chevy with a 327 gas motor. It moved forward with grit and determinstion bordering on the dramatic. "We will reach the speed limit today not because reaching the speed limit is easy, but because reaching the speed limit is hard!" 

If I could figure out a way to make it happen, I'd fix this one and give it to my in-laws to use as a wood truck. It would be super easy to convert to modern ignition and even fuel injection for easy starting and running. I'm drooling and how much better parts availibility would be. I'm not sure I want to become the cabover guy, but I kind of want to become the cabover guy. 

mazdeuce
mazdeuce MegaDork
10/9/17 10:09 a.m.

In reply to oldopelguy :

As long as you make your axis for movement in line with the hinges (which the steering and shifters already do) there will be virtually no movement of the pedal. At this point it's just coming up with the proper master and making sure the bell crank is mounted securely. This might just work.......

stuart in mn
stuart in mn UltimaDork
10/9/17 10:35 a.m.
oldopelguy said:

The shifter on that Viking is interesting; it is mounted to a panel that doesn't move when the cab is tipped forward and that panel just seals around the edge with a gasket to the cab. 

Another thing about that panel - the emergency brake handle needs to be engaged to clear the opening in the cab floor.  If it's not, it will catch on the cab sheetmetal and bend it all to heck, at least that was the case with the one I drove.  smiley

Willis
Willis New Reader
10/9/17 1:06 p.m.

When you go to unlock the cab, there is a warning label that states exactly that above the lever: The Emergency Brake must be set.  Also, you have to make sure the transmission shifter is in the high side of the shift pattern or the cab won't close.  There was no warning for that...but I can assure you that is the case. surprise

Wall-e
Wall-e GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/9/17 2:21 p.m.

You people with your fancy V8s. I had my F550 flatbed stolen and needed a replacement on short notice because two customers, BMW and Land Rover required one. I picked up a C50 with a straight six that was sitting for years behind a construction company.  After about a day's work I got it started and after changing some hoses and all the fluids it worked fine for the next year and a half.  I liked it so my boss put off buying a more practical replacement but damn was it slow.  More than once I hit a hill and wondered if I was going to get up it. Overall once it was cleaned up and painted it made a nice truck and if it had a longer bed and a wheel lift we might have put a bigger engine in it rather than replacing it.

Wall-e
Wall-e GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/9/17 2:23 p.m.

In reply to Willis :

The tachograph is a neat piece.  If he were to sell the truck how far from drivable is it if someone didn't have a way to tow it home?

96extcab
96extcab New Reader
10/9/17 5:41 p.m.

I'm not sure I want to become the cabover guy, but I kind of want to become the cabover guy. 

We have 5...6 if you count the late 50's Dodge excuse for a COE. Game on!

honda1
honda1 New Reader
10/10/17 7:06 a.m.

I couldn't resist. Not an international, but wow.

https://bringatrailer.com/2017/10/09/coe-vineyard-hauler-1958-ford-c600/

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson MegaDork
10/11/17 12:36 p.m.

Holy mother of Berk.  I spent Friday, Monday, Tuesday and todays lunch time reading this from the start.  Stunning work as usual Senior Duce.  Sent you an email begging for stickers and a T shirt if there's one left.  Didn't specifically mention my screen name, but did sign of with my real name which is suspiciously close to my screen name so a gentleman of your learning should be able to fathom it out.

I have nothing practical to add to this as I have less than zero knowledge about these things.  One Q, why did you start stripping then clean things up?  Any reason not to go biblical with the pressure washer before taking things apart?

When it comes to the power plant, as slow and anemic as it may be with the current engine, I think it suits it really well.  If you are desperate for more power in the future, forget small block Chummies or V12's from BMW or large British cats.  What about adding a blow through snail of awesome to the existing carb?  From what you say the current engine is excessively stupidly well built for what it is, why not add some unholy boost to it?  No engine mounts or electronics to figure out, simple(ish) mechanical fab to hang a snail (or two) off the existing manifolds, forget an intercooler, just add 4-6psi using a carb bonnet like this to keep everything playing nicely together just as Ferdinand would like?

mazdeuce
mazdeuce MegaDork
10/11/17 1:42 p.m.

In reply to Adrian_Thompson :

I should have bought a new heated pressure washer and started with that. I know that now. Remember, the original plan was battery, gas, drive it around the yard and go from there. It's just that everything I touched was broken and before I knew it I had a pile of greasy parts. This is how we learn. 

I could drive the 304 as is, boost it, replace it. So many options. First I have to put it back together. 

barefootskater
barefootskater New Reader
10/11/17 2:29 p.m.

Please boost the 304. Through the factory carb. That'd be soooo sexy.  6ish psi is very manageable with slight carb modifications and mechanically controlled ignition. You'd see 20-40% increase is torque. And the noises... I gotta sit down now.

Trans_Maro
Trans_Maro PowerDork
10/11/17 3:23 p.m.

IH had two slant-4-cylinders that were half a 304 and half a 392 respectively.

The smallest 4-cylinder was available turbocharged.

The exhaust manifold on the 4-cylinder is the same as the v8, just a center-dump, log manifold. They turned it upside-down and added a turbo.

The 304 is two 152 4-cylinders sharing a crankcase.

The carburetor is just a Holley, no problem to boost-reference a Holley carb.

See where I'm going with this?

mazdeuce
mazdeuce MegaDork
10/11/17 4:26 p.m.

In reply to Trans_Maro :

So I just checked. You're right. I don't suppose I have to put them on facing down.............

Trans_Maro
Trans_Maro PowerDork
10/11/17 5:17 p.m.

96extcab
96extcab New Reader
10/11/17 8:07 p.m.

This could get real awesome real quick!

1 ... 44 45 46 47 48 ... 74

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
3AhXXZ8r7S5g8b8uEbNHPfZVeTY4qtHJU8FyxuRshqZ0FKOZMsMKumHXGUkHvUuu