1 ... 59 60 61 62 63 ... 74
sleepyhead
sleepyhead GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
12/8/17 4:12 p.m.
mazdeuce - Seth said:

I get frustrated shooting digitally. I know how to shoot things properly and then change light levels and color balance and crop after the fact, but I'm seldom happier with a photo when I do all of that. My favorite shooting is what I did this morning, throw on a manual lens, work hard at composition, shoot several at the aperture that I think is right and a couple one stop up and one down from that, and then see what I get. I like photographs to surprise me the same way they used to when getting a roll of film back from the pharmacy when I was a kid. 

I'll recommend you look at the Fuji interchangeable lens cameras sometime.  Make sure you look at ones with the "X-Trans" sensors.  I think they'd fit your approach to photography pretty well, and there's some good manual lens options for them... and I think they take adapters and older lenses pretty well.  (maybe not $50 manual lenses... but probably $100-150 ones).  They output impressive JPG's, and have some of the best film simulations... so you can do a lot "in camera, in the moment"

in reply to 759NRNG:

Seth's recommendation is valid.  Most of the mirrorless ILC's these days are capable of "great" photos.  The Fuji's are a bit spendy, and the Panasonic/Olympus stuff is ok... but for about the same price/form.size a Sony a5100 is probably hard to beat, and has a larger sensor than the Panasonic/Olympus.

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth MegaDork
12/8/17 5:23 p.m.
sleepyhead said:

I get the impression the grosh truck is something like a 'family mobility security blanket'... I would not mess with that type of entity

Not even for a MUCH bigger blanket? I mean, it would have been a great flood truck. Hook a generator head to the PTO and you have a ridiculously inefficient whole house generstor? How's that for security? And don't get me started on zombies, it would be great for zombies.

sleepyhead
sleepyhead GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
12/8/17 5:38 p.m.
mazdeuce - Seth said: 

Not even for a MUCH bigger blanket? I mean, it would have been a great flood truck. Hook a generator head to the PTO and you have a ridiculously inefficient whole house generstor? How's that for security? And don't get me started on zombies, it would be great for zombies.

Considering, in this very thread, you admitted to not owning a genset... I reckon the zombie excuse is... weak

besides, if you're going to go big... accept no substitute:

759NRNG
759NRNG Dork
12/8/17 8:11 p.m.
sleepyhead said:
mazdeuce - Seth said:

I get frustrated shooting digitally. I know how to shoot things properly and then change light levels and color balance and crop after the fact, but I'm seldom happier with a photo when I do all of that. My favorite shooting is what I did this morning, throw on a manual lens, work hard at composition, shoot several at the aperture that I think is right and a couple one stop up and one down from that, and then see what I get. I like photographs to surprise me the same way they used to when getting a roll of film back from the pharmacy when I was a kid. 

I'll recommend you look at the Fuji interchangeable lens cameras sometime.  Make sure you look at ones with the "X-Trans" sensors.  I think they'd fit your approach to photography pretty well, and there's some good manual lens options for them... and I think they take adapters and older lenses pretty well.  (maybe not $50 manual lenses... but probably $100-150 ones).  They output impressive JPG's, and have some of the best film simulations... so you can do a lot "in camera, in the moment"

in reply to 759NRNG:

Seth's recommendation is valid.  Most of the mirrorless ILC's these days are capable of "great" photos.  The Fuji's are a bit spendy, and the Panasonic/Olympus stuff is ok... but for about the same price/form.size a Sony a5100 is probably hard to beat, and has a larger sensor than the Panasonic/Olympus.

er......I'm so old skool y'all will laugh....there is a pentax K1000 on the shelf in the master bedroom closet...loved that piece. So moving right along with the next 'picture taker'  is a Canon POWER SHOT SD750.....FOV for such a small format is some what frustratating, plus obviously no lens interchangeability...even with this setup would i still be able to lock n load shots to a particular thread?  

Greywynd
Greywynd New Reader
12/8/17 11:14 p.m.

Hey now, I still have a K1000 as well!! Couldn't say when I last had film in it.....

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth MegaDork
12/9/17 8:20 a.m.

It's official. Craigslist hates my marriage. 

1977 international 4x4

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 MegaDork
12/9/17 9:30 a.m.
mazdeuce - Seth said:

1977 international 4x4

Do it..... 

Let the power of the dark side flow through you....

rslifkin
rslifkin SuperDork
12/9/17 10:09 a.m.
sleepyhead said:

I get the impression the grosh truck is something like a 'family mobility security blanket'... I would not mess with that type of entity

At the same time, given enough vehicles, it becomes pretty unlikely that at least 1 or 2 wouldn't be usable at any given point in time...

coexist
coexist Reader
12/9/17 10:50 a.m.
sleepyhead said:
mazdeuce - Seth said:

I get frustrated shooting digitally...

I'll recommend you look at the Fuji interchangeable lens cameras sometime...

By happenstance I recently bought a Fuifilm X-E2 after about 5 years of consideration of many cameras and systems. It's pretty remarkable, and I find the OVF rangefinder to be the best format for my photo taking. Adaptors available for all the old lenses. It's made with an aesthetic that might appeal to an engineer who made a casting for a timing cover.

In reply to 759NRNG:

You can use your Canon (or virtually any other digital camera) to post anywhere. It's pretty straightforward if you download from camera to your computer, then upload the photo you want to share to a photo hosting site like Imgur or Photoberkit (here). The free IrfanView is pretty helpful for managing images on your computer.

Ryed
Ryed New Reader
12/9/17 12:41 p.m.
mazdeuce - Seth said:

1977 international 4x4

At least you didn't find it on "Casual Encounters!"

759NRNG
759NRNG Dork
12/9/17 12:49 p.m.
coexist said:
sleepyhead said:
mazdeuce - Seth said:

I get frustrated shooting digitally...

I'll recommend you look at the Fuji interchangeable lens cameras sometime...

By happenstance I recently bought a Fuifilm X-E2 after about 5 years of consideration of many cameras and systems. It's pretty remarkable, and I find the OVF rangefinder to be the best format for my photo taking. Adaptors available for all the old lenses. It's made with an aesthetic that might appeal to an engineer who made a casting for a timing cover.

In reply to 759NRNG:

You can use your Canon (or virtually any other digital camera) to post anywhere. It's pretty straightforward if you download from camera to your computer, then upload the photo you want to share to a photo hosting site like Imgur or Photoberkit (here). The free IrfanView is pretty helpful for managing images on your computer.

coexist, thanks for your input

759NRNG
759NRNG Dork
12/9/17 12:56 p.m.

Seth, you can  present this awesomeness to the Missus as such....another truck in your yard brings you NHCRED ....neighborhood cred, but me thinks she wont go for it.......wait perhaps if you started  on the kitchen cabinets and this just sort kinda appeared out front........forgiveness than permission......wink

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth MegaDork
12/9/17 7:52 p.m.

Spent some time today playing with the cam bearing tool in the 304. I knocked out the middle three bearings and reinstalled them a couple of times. It seems pretty straight forward. The only mistake I made was not tightening the tool enough once and it marred the edge of the bearing. Of the five installations I did 4 were right on and one had just a sliver of the hole blocked. It's pretty easy to look down the holes between the main bearings and the cam bearings to see that the holes between the two are right on. The more I did the better I got so I'll probably do a half dozen more before I move on to the 345. The bearings in the 304 are marked IH. Not sure if that means they're original to the engine or if they were replaced with factory parts once upon a time. I bet they were installed in that engine in the factory. 

In reply to 759NRNG:

I told Mrs. Deuce that I wasn't going to buy any of the new big stupid trucks because I love her. She just looked at me and said "you look at those trucks and can't find a single reason NOT to buy them other than you love me? If that's the best reason you have then I'm really questioning your judgment in choosing vechicles." 

759NRNG
759NRNG Dork
12/9/17 8:02 p.m.

I told Mrs. Deuce that I wasn't going to buy any of the new big stupid trucks because I love her. She just looked at me and said "you look at those trucks and can't find a single reason NOT to buy them other than you love me? If that's the best reason you have then I'm really questioning your judgment in choosing vechicles." 

Well that certainly  didn't  go well now did it  Ollie?   Tomorrow the Kitchen!!!!!!

SaltyDog
SaltyDog Reader
12/9/17 8:04 p.m.

Soooo....

She didn't say no to another truck?

camaroz1985
camaroz1985 HalfDork
12/11/17 8:26 a.m.
mazdeuce - Seth said:

Just keep at it.  Sounds like you are wearing her down.

NOHOME
NOHOME UltimaDork
12/11/17 9:04 a.m.
mazdeuce - Seth said:

Spent some time today playing with the cam bearing tool in the 304. I knocked out the middle three bearings and reinstalled them a couple of times. It seems pretty straight forward. The only mistake I made was not tightening the tool enough once and it marred the edge of the bearing. Of the five installations I did 4 were right on and one had just a sliver of the hole blocked. It's pretty easy to look down the holes between the main bearings and the cam bearings to see that the holes between the two are right on. The more I did the better I got so I'll probably do a half dozen more before I move on to the 345. The bearings in the 304 are marked IH. Not sure if that means they're original to the engine or if they were replaced with factory parts once upon a time. I bet they were installed in that engine in the factory. 

In reply to 759NRNG:

That statement sounds like a Boobie  trap to me. Watch your next move!

Safest move is to remind her that You were one of Her decisions, then go do something chivalrous  for the win.

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth MegaDork
12/11/17 9:30 a.m.

Honestly, she looked around at the world and picked me, if we should be questioning anyone's judgment around here........

My friend Pete is moving. You might remember him as the guy who shot the video of the R63 doing fun laps on the track the day before it blew up. Or maybe as the guy who bought the STS Civic from me, drove it from Houston to Lincoln, and then got on the cover of SportsCar? Cool guy. I met him at autocross, and I thought it fitting to say goodbye at autocross yesterday. One less local friend who I can call and say "so I've got an idea......"

I didn't actually drive anything. The idea was to stop buy and talk to everyone and then get home to do some of the things that needed doing. But then there was this amazing supercharged NSX and he needed an instructor and I did bring my helmet and it was totally worth it. He's mostly a track guy so was driving more gently than he needed to for AX, but holy cow it was an amazing car. Adding it to my list of wants. 

And THEN my friend had her new GLA45 AMG out too so I had to wait to get a ride in that. I was hoping it would be good, but it's WAY better than I thought. Mercedes loaned my a regular GLA when the R63 was getting diagnosed and I liked it, but in stock form it had more power than front wheel drive could really effectively use. The extra power and AWD does indeed fix every problem the GLA had and now I want one of these too. Why is the world full of so many good cars? 

And there was an RS3 with carbon brakes, two ZL1 Camaros, a new Z06 on Hoosiers too wide to fit in the body work, a CP car that I was able to put the NSX guy in to calibrate his brain to what AX means, a new Civic Type-R, it was a good autocross day. 

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth MegaDork
12/11/17 9:42 a.m.

And the reason I didn't drive was because I had to get home early to help Mrs. Deuce bind the edges of the baby quilt she finished. We always make it a goal to finish these types of things before the baby turns one and we're up against the wire here. As usual, Mrs. Deuce is 100 times more amazing than me. I bolt parts together, she embroiders the whole damn world. 

Even the back is cool. 

So I said my goodbyes, finished the quilt, headed into the new week ready to start assembling the motor and........Duecekid#4 is sitting on the couch with a fever of 102. We're going to watch some Phineas and Ferb, eat some of the cookies Mrs. Deuce made yesterday (to keep up his strength, very important) and generally chill. Ferdinand understands. 

759NRNG
759NRNG Dork
12/11/17 10:26 a.m.

Seth is that AX at the police academy every Sunday? The quilt she is excellent, fighting up respiratory here boss.....sucks cuz it's so nice OUT frown

NOHOME
NOHOME UltimaDork
12/11/17 10:29 a.m.

Mrs Deuce just got the job of doing all your interiors from now on.

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth MegaDork
12/11/17 10:54 a.m.

In reply to 759NRNG :

It's not every Sunday. The schedule for the first couple of months looks like this: 

Jan 7, SCCA at the Police Academy
Jan 21, BMWCCA at the Police Academy
Feb 4, SCCA at the  Police Academy 
Feb 11, Porsche Club at the Police Academy
Feb 18, BMWCCA at the Police Academy

Later in the year we'll have events south of town at Grandsport Speedway and maybe a PCA event up at College Station. Oh, and this doesn't include the events at College Station, that's another schedule entirely. I'd personally like to get more events at Gulf Greyhound because I like the elevation changes in the parking lot, but the surface is pretty much crap so I'm doubting that will happen. At this time of year the clubs mostly try and lock down dates so they don't conflict with each other and then get the locations sorted later. The Houston calendar has 25 autocross dates on it so far for next year. 

JamesMcD
JamesMcD SuperDork
12/11/17 11:46 a.m.

That quilt is awesome. 

bluej
bluej GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
12/11/17 2:14 p.m.

That quilt... I want one to hang as art, nevermind use as a blanket. So rad.

Wow, you and Mrs.Duece just gave me a GREAT idea for a Christmas present. Thank you!

I love this place so much.

Jim Pettengill
Jim Pettengill HalfDork
12/11/17 2:58 p.m.

Wow, great quilt.  With you guy's backgrounds, she needs to do another one with the pre-drifted gondwanaland.

1 ... 59 60 61 62 63 ... 74

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
vz3PIWfV1xO8wwv66PqMm39IdWn19OCNRompCqIJHpyOpRPpzgfCfiUgoXUmnPS8