1 ... 60 61 62 63 64 ... 74
mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
12/11/17 7:04 p.m.
Jim Pettengill said:

Wow, great quilt.  With you guy's backgrounds, she needs to do another one with the pre-drifted gondwanaland.

So I didn't want to spam my own thread, and I'm 100% not connected to them in any way, but the pattern for this quilt came from Haptic Labs and I'm only putting this here because Mrs. Deuce told me too. 

The gondwanaland idea is brilliant and I'm thinking we need to take advantage of the fact that Mrs. Deuce has a 48 inch plotter at work and (I think) we figured out where to buy rolls of the special tear away fabric that Haptic prints on. We've just been waiting for something we wanted to make that they didn't offer, and that may be it. 

ValourUnbound
ValourUnbound
12/11/17 8:28 p.m.

I made it to the end! I created an account here after hearing about the R63 headbolt issue by watching Demuro's video. This was... 3 months ago. When I finished the R63 thread, and saw that you picked some dumb truck to work on next, I was sad. I didn't like trucks. So I moved on to Pete's C4 thread, because I too have a C4. With that, I decided to stay with CFI instead of carbing it, even though the internet hivemind says CFI sucks. The thread was great reading while I couldn't work on my C4 because of moving house and holiday bustle (and the ever-present rain). Then I decided a few days ago to start reading this thread. Oh, what I have been missing! I guess trucks aren't as dumb as I first thought.

I'm a new car guy, having bought the C4 in April. I'm a late child to my family, so by the time I was old enough my dad was no longer working on his own car (it's a common occurrence for my mom to tell some story and I have to remind her that I wasn't born yet). I changed my oil for the first time on my '09 Focus two years ago. And now I'm reading build threads, watching car videos and have a running project car (it ran when I bought it). RIP free time and money.

Anyways, I just wanted to chime in and say keep it up Mazduece! Someone has to help us gearheads figure out life, and you're as good as anyone.

P.S. I'm pretty sure I need a Ferdinand sticker now. And a medium shirt?

P.S.S. If I see a way to help out, I'll speak up :) First tip: get that kid a taller chair or a shorter table. Gaming all day is great, but please be slightly ergonomic. I say this as someone who sits at a computer for... 14 hours a day between work and home. The standing desk is also a humorous idea.

Ransom
Ransom GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
12/12/17 9:05 a.m.

What the what? A Ferdinand movie? I have concerns...

mazdeuce - Seth
12/12/17 11:19 a.m.

In reply to ValourUnbound :

Thanks for the kind words. I think anyone who writes thinks about the balance between subject material and writing. Watching Doug's work is fun because he's good at what he does. He's passionate about cars. He's excited about them and makes you feel that excitement. Would Doug still get 1,000,000 views if he was reviewing an eight year old Camry? I don't think anyone is that good. So he chooses his material and works hard on it. I hope I'm doing that here, thought there are days when fixing a power window on a Camry sounds preferable to having two disassembled V-8's in the garage. 
Have fun with the C4. Pete's car is great, Ovid and Flem has done some great experimenting on his, and the new super crusty one in Florida just popped up. I'm not sure I'd call these guys C4 experts, but if you're looking for optimism in the face of overwhelming odds, they are overflowing with it. 

In reply to Ransom :

We'll have to see how that one goes. It's a beautiful simple story that can be read to a child in 5 minutes. What did they do to flesh that out into a feature? 

Here we have a pair of two barrel Holley carburetors. The one on the left is from the 345 and was rebuilt by someone who got paid for it in 2013. It has fancy vacuum operated choke things and a bunch of vacuum ports and all sorts of complications. The one on the right came off the 304 It has a throttle cable and a choke cable and one vacuum port. It's about as simple as a lawnmower carb. Both of these must have parts numbers but I can't figure out which of the numbers on them translates to that. 

My preference is to go with the 304 carb, if for no other reason than I haven't driven something with a manual choke in years and, well, I have a choke knob on the dash. However, making the truck run enough to drive up and down the driveway is probably a priority over being awesome (for now) so if someone can tell me why I should use the more modern carb, I'm all ears. My gut feeling is that either carb will have to come apart and get cleaned and new gaskets and all that. It would be nice to do that to only one of them. 

Patrick
Patrick GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/12/17 11:24 a.m.

I’d use the holley, if for no other reason than simplicity 

sleepyhead
sleepyhead GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
12/12/17 11:49 a.m.
ValourUnbound said:

P.S.S. If I see a way to help out, I'll speak up :) First tip: get that kid a taller chair or a shorter table. Gaming all day is great, but please be slightly ergonomic. I say this as someone who sits at a computer for... 14 hours a day between work and home. The standing desk is also a humorous idea.

I generally don't recommend something I'm not already doing... although I don't have a photo readily at hand to show.  15#s loss in 6months thanks to going back to that (15 to go).  I think most of the pain for my eyes is from the 38 year old self, seeing a version of my 15 year old self, and knowing what the next 15 years would do.  ommv (others mileage my vary)... but standing is 120 cal/hr compared to ~70cal/hr sitting, and ~60cal/hr sleeping.

ValourUnbound
ValourUnbound New Reader
12/12/17 1:05 p.m.

In reply to sleepyhead :

Oh I'm not saying don't get a standing desk. Those are better.  But now that's he has sat down he isn't going to want to stand.

If I was the dad I would totally make him stand. I'm thinking the only chairs in my house will be at the dinner table... Gotta stand even for the tv! That would certainly fix my current furniture issues...

mazdeuce - Seth
12/12/17 1:11 p.m.

Solution incoming. We don't want to ruin a season dependent surprise for the boy, do we?

sleepyhead
sleepyhead GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
12/12/17 3:03 p.m.

In reply to mazdeuce - Seth :

deucekid#2 doesn't read this thread?  I mean, even after being ridiculed for poor posture... there's, like, "other things to do"... and then, maybe homework before reading this!?  wink

Miller Lake Monster
Miller Lake Monster New Reader
12/12/17 8:24 p.m.

The Holley on the right has its model number showing on the front of the choke horn. I've never seen seen one like the one on the left. But then I have never owned an International truck.

Trans_Maro
Trans_Maro PowerDork
12/12/17 8:49 p.m.

Use the Holley 2300 on the right.

It's half of the usual Holley 4-barrel so all the tuning gak is available for it.

The circle track boys use either a Holley 2300 or a Rochester 2GC.

You should have no problem finding anything you need for that carburetor.

This is a truck engine from the 1960s fer cryin out loud. All you need for vacuum ports is one ported vacuum for the distributor and one manifold vacuum for possibly wipers and possibly a brake booster.

BrokenYugo
BrokenYugo MegaDork
12/12/17 9:12 p.m.

Either one will work, but as mentioned the one on the right is the standard issue "Holley 2 Barrel" with the parts and support availability that comes with it. The pertinent number for getting rebuild kits, factory jetting specs, etc, is the "LIST" number (looks to be 2977). 

LSxDreamer
LSxDreamer New Reader
12/13/17 8:58 a.m.

Totally random comment Seth, but I just wanted to let you know that I'm still reading through Gregor's thread on GJ (which is your fault after all)...

mazdeuce - Seth
12/13/17 1:36 p.m.
BrokenYugo said:

Either one will work, but as mentioned the one on the right is the standard issue "Holley 2 Barrel" with the parts and support availability that comes with it. The pertinent number for getting rebuild kits, factory jetting specs, etc, is the "LIST" number (looks to be 2977). 

Thanks to you and to everyone for the input. Holley 2977 into Google gets me a firehose of information and parts for this carb. I know the barest of carb theory and I've reset a float or two, but that's about the extent of my real world carb knowledge. I usually just leave them alone and they work well enough. 

Painted the block today. It's a bit chilly (mid 50's) so I thought I'd start by doing a final clean and making a warm tent with the heater and a tarp to get things sort of up to temp.

Not sure if it helped at all, but it was nice and toasty in there after an hour. Painting was my usual foam brush method. I was happy with my ability to get all the nooks and crannies, but wasn't thrilled with the first coat covrage. 

Second coat thought, that's a beauty. I'm beyond happy with how it turned out. 

And while I was painting today I was thinking about the fact that motors often get cool names. Coyote, Fireball, the four cylinder 152 International is the Comanche. As far as I can tell the 345 doesn't have a name. Probably because it's just a regular truck motor. Makes sense. Adding a turbo to it (the eventual plan) will certainly require a name, and that got the wheels turning. I decided to name my build of the regular NA 345 the Whoskerdoo, and I'm offering free internet points (and the first shirt out of the next batch) to whoever figures out what the name of the turbo build is going to be. laugh

Daylan C
Daylan C SuperDork
12/13/17 1:57 p.m.

Whistling Bunghole?

Dirtydog
Dirtydog GRM+ Memberand Reader
12/13/17 1:59 p.m.

Whoskerdoodledo?

stafford1500
stafford1500 GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
12/13/17 2:07 p.m.

WhoskerDont

klipless
klipless Reader
12/13/17 2:07 p.m.

Whooshkerdoo?

barefootskater
barefootskater New Reader
12/13/17 2:21 p.m.

whoskerspool?

corybrown50
corybrown50 New Reader
12/13/17 3:09 p.m.

ThunderSnail.....

BullSpool

Hamster Wheel of DEATH!!

NOHOME
NOHOME UltimaDork
12/13/17 3:31 p.m.

Look who makes a boost receptive EFI in the form of a throttle body?

And since the point of boost is to forcefully extract power from an otherwise unwilling lump of cast iron, I propose       "Torquemada" as the moniker for said forced induction device.

ValourUnbound
ValourUnbound New Reader
12/13/17 4:10 p.m.

Whoskerturbo? Or Whoskerdoodle?

Greywynd
Greywynd New Reader
12/13/17 4:14 p.m.

"Turbull" to keep it along the Ferdinand theme.

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo GRM+ Memberand Mod Squad
12/13/17 4:37 p.m.

Ooh, Thundersnail does have a nice ring to it. 

mazdeuce - Seth
12/13/17 5:10 p.m.

You're going to stand there and tell me..........  

stafford1500, Steve, is the winner, but I'll be 100% honest, Whistling Bunghole might be a better name. I did this mostly because Mrs. Deuce keeps this up on her phone at all times. She always laughs. Always. 

1 ... 60 61 62 63 64 ... 74

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
K7UXCrXdU0JgbyVE1lWW5GvXTLaIuN6c7cwfCxTCLZrZUXhqUUQnQQlZNLFsepF0