Pete Gossett
Pete Gossett GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/29/20 10:03 a.m.

In reply to MarshHoltRacing :

That's badass!

NOT A TA
NOT A TA SuperDork
2/29/20 11:22 a.m.

Been following along, great thread! Cool valve cover to top it off. When I was a kid my dad had a Simca 1000(?) as his daily driver commuter car,  it was pretty new at the time and got replaced when the Mustang came out.

RossD
RossD MegaDork
2/29/20 5:34 p.m.

That valve cover is awesome!

MarshHoltRacing
MarshHoltRacing New Reader
3/8/20 7:02 a.m.

it fits! No shoehorn needed!

RossD
RossD MegaDork
3/8/20 7:09 a.m.

Thoughts on pouring gas over a hot header?

02Pilot
02Pilot SuperDork
3/8/20 7:10 a.m.

Looks like you've got room for taller filters and short velocity stacks, which should help general performance and the top end especially. Those pancake filters can be pretty restrictive.

MarshHoltRacing
3/8/20 9:29 a.m.

In reply to 02Pilot :

Those were incidentally installed on the jenveys. Im working on a turbo plenum. Those slats in the decklid are perfect for a long skinny intercooler. RossD, yeah it was scary, even with the old reversflow motor. I was thinking about mounting a tank up front with a monza cap through the hood

RossD
RossD MegaDork
3/8/20 9:40 a.m.

I was thinking either relocating the filler to a body panel or put a funnel/tray around the filler with a drain hose down below hot bits. I want the frunk to be usable.

02Pilot
02Pilot SuperDork
3/8/20 10:15 a.m.

Gotcha. You have probably mentioned that - I obviously haven't been paying sufficient attention.

MarshHoltRacing
3/14/20 8:03 p.m.

Got the vac manifold made up from a chunk of fuel rail and the Ford coilpack mounted up. Next up is the fuel rail(bridgeport), alternator tensioner(CNC Router), Sort out the clutch linkage, throttle linkage, and a new front crossmember. I am hoping I can tackle one task a day after work.

The hardest task is going to be bending and plumbing the aluminum coolant tubes to the front. I have a feeling thats going to be a full weekend.

I am going to punt on the turbo for now...I really want to just drive it again. I ordered all new rubber mounts for the motor and trans and a new clutch from Meca France. I also ordered an Inox Alpine A110 1600 Header (echappement, as they say.)from france. I figure the subframe of an r10 and an Alipine A110 are essentially the same, so the ought to be close. We'll see how I come out on that bet. It was a 300euro header, but if it doesnt work, maybe I can sell it to one of the five A110 owners in the US.

Anyway, It'll be down on power with 8.5:1 compr but Id bet it will still be 90-100ish hp. Plenty to tune with and dial in ign and the throttle bodies

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 Dork
3/14/20 9:16 p.m.

I think you under estimate the current population of A110s here in the US. I know I have seen 4 and worked on 2.

MarshHoltRacing
3/15/20 2:50 p.m.

Thats awesome! Were about are you located? Ive only seen one at a cars and coffee in the bay area once. Sorry, it was more of a tongue in cheek comment. Theyre not excactly 240Zs or 2002's in quantity. 

Anyway, I got my order from Meca. They are quicker than Summit in terms of shipping!

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 Dork
3/15/20 5:52 p.m.

I am in Easton PA. Worked on one here in town and the one pictured in Jersey city. It has since departed for places unknown, back to France perhaps, that seems to be happening.

MarshHoltRacing
12/15/21 11:51 a.m.

I was struggling to find the energy/time to finish all of the details with the cross flow swap, so I rebuilt the 688 1108cc and threw it back in the car. I bought this car to drive and tinker with, not to have it off the road for years as a massive project. That's what my simca is for and I had to reconcile with that. Anyway, the megasquirt is controlling the spark still, and I've been having good success tuning/jetting the dellorto. I jetted it according to an old article I found about fitting a DHLA to a 1098cc mini. I figured they're both Siamese port reverse flow engines of comparable size, so it was a good place to start with jetting, Venturis, etc. It's been pretty rewarding tuning the carb with the wideband. I wouldn't want to tune a carb any other way now. The next issue now is the fuel pressure seems to be dropping once the engine gets hot. I'm going to try a 7psi electric pump and a Malpassi regulator to get it to 3.5psi. 

APEowner
APEowner GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
12/15/21 12:06 p.m.
MarshHoltRacing said:

...The next issue now is the fuel pressure seems to be dropping once the engine gets hot...

What are you using to determine the fuel pressure?  If it's one of the little, liquid filled, screw on gauges that lives in the engine compartment then you can't really trust them hot.  Unless it's a vented design it'll read low, hot.  The one in my Camaro reads zero at operating temperature.

Fuel Pressure Gauge issues

Mezzanine
Mezzanine Dork
12/15/21 12:09 p.m.

I can't tell you how excited I was to see this thread show up at the top again. Such a fantastic car! Good job keeping it on the road. 

MarshHoltRacing
12/15/21 12:45 p.m.

In reply to APEowner :

I was just reading about that. Seems like very common issue. Yeah I left that gauge in there to see what my edlebrock electric fuel pump is putting out. It's right around 3psi when everything is cold. It is definitely behaving like the bowl is going empty when hot though. The engine stumbles and the AFR goes way lean. I'm going to keep my eye on battery voltage next to see if the voltage starts sagging and slowing the pump down after awhile. My alternator is a tiny denso kubota unit and I think it's rated to 30-40A. Between the fuel pump, electric fan, ignition system, and ecu, I wonder if I'm getting close to exceeding that.

thanks Mezzanine! Do you still have your megasquirt'd Fiat? I love that thing

Mezzanine
Mezzanine Dork
12/15/21 1:22 p.m.

I do! It sits here in my garage waiting for me to find the motivation to get it painted. I've got a lot of other commitments in my life right now, so it's content to wait until I get through these things. You know how it goes. 

Does the r10 get out often? 

MarshHoltRacing
12/15/21 3:28 p.m.

In reply to Mezzanine :

I've been driving it to work the past month or so, tinkering with jetting or timing on the weekends. Before that, it sat for nearly a year because I just couldn't motivate myself to finish all of the details of the cross flow swap. 

KCR10
KCR10 New Reader
6/25/23 9:00 p.m.

Any ideas where to get a hotter cam for the 1108 engine? I have a '68 R10 that's been retrofitted with electronic ignition, 2bbl NOS Weber carb, and an Italian dual tip exhaust. The generator was also replaced with a Geo Metro alternator that fit easily. Also, any ideas for balancing the wheels? Sorry if this is all over the place, but I loved to see what was being done with the blue '67.

MarshHoltRacing
6/29/23 4:14 p.m.

There are a few cat cam options for these, since they were also used in the alpine a110 1300. Otherwise, the biggest gain can be made by finding a 810 moteur(1289cc). That's what the Australian guys say, since they bolt in. I found a c1j, which is the 80s/90s fwd turbo r5 cleon fonte motor, but it has a different flywheel bolt pattern. These c1js seem to still have some aftermarket support and can push 200hp reliably. Pretty neat, since they are just an  incremental evolution or the humble 60hp 688 from the sixties.

orthoxstice
orthoxstice Reader
6/29/23 7:36 p.m.

I thought of this thread recently because the YouTube algorithm showed me a guy putting a Harbor Freight Predator engine into the back of one of these with no permanent modifications. 

1 ... 3 4 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
JHFV5H6yGSyHnkEHWF3VwoWvM4Vp8FjGrbzkYcy4W4ddIjC4669wAT2KvTOtDtT0