1 ... 3 4 5 6 7
SyntheticBlinkerFluid
SyntheticBlinkerFluid UltimaDork
10/24/15 7:48 p.m.

So I have plenty of beer, who can come over and help?

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
10/24/15 9:08 p.m.

Well starter with new nose back in and the goddamn thing still won't start, it spit and sputtered but that's it. I've advanced and retarded the distributor and nothing. I'm 99% sure my distributor is in the correct spot when I reinstalled it last fall. I have a good battery and good gasoline. If I push ether it will try to start. Argh this is aggravating.

I decided to punish it by piling crap back on it.

The_Jed
The_Jed UberDork
10/24/15 9:14 p.m.

Sometimes you have to let them sit and think about what they've done.

Kenny_McCormic
Kenny_McCormic UltimaDork
10/24/15 9:19 p.m.

If you've got good spark I'd guess the timing is off, put a light on it.

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
10/24/15 9:26 p.m.

In reply to Kenny_McCormic:

That would be the next step. I need to acquire one. I used to have one and it has disappeared.

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
10/24/15 9:26 p.m.
The_Jed wrote: Sometimes you have to let them sit and think about what they've done.

You bet

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
10/28/15 4:50 p.m.

Parts!

My dad had some stuff hanging around so I snatched them up.

I acquired a rear bumper, some spare alternators, 140 exhaust logs, and a quick ratio gear box.

Now I just need to get the rest of the exhaust parts and get rid of the nasty flattened headers and glass packs.

Jim Pettengill
Jim Pettengill HalfDork
10/29/15 12:05 a.m.

OOOOO - a quick-ratio steering box! Score!

NOHOME
NOHOME UberDork
10/29/15 6:15 a.m.

If in doubt about the timing, try this:

Pull the #1 plug wire and put a plug on the end so that it is grounded.

Manually rotate the engine such that the #1 piston is in whatever the proper timing position, say 10 degrees BTDC.

Now, with the key in the run position, slowly rotate the distributor until you see a spark jump the gap on the grounded plug that is hanging on the end of #1. Maybe do this a couple of times to get a feel for the exact spot for where the plug fires.

Your engine is timed correctly at the exact point where the spark fires. Now check your firing order.

One test you can do if you are running out of ideas is to test that the rotor is not grounded. Fairly common with MGs and the China suppliers. With the cap off, hold the kingwire from the coil near the center of the rotor while spinning the engine. If you see a spark, the rotor is bad as it should not be grounded. This one can drive you mad if you are not aware of it.

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
10/29/15 9:14 a.m.

In reply to NOHOME:

Thanks, I will try that. I Still wonder if my distributor is one tooth off, but I haven't moved the distributor since I got it started last fall, so I don't think it is.

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
10/29/15 9:16 a.m.
Jim Pettengill wrote: OOOOO - a quick-ratio steering box! Score!

I posted the same thing up on the Corvair group on Facebook and people were already asking if it was for sale.

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
11/5/15 5:57 p.m.
bgkast
bgkast GRM+ Memberand UberDork
11/5/15 7:41 p.m.

Sounds like an airplane.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/5/15 8:01 p.m.
bgkast wrote: Sounds like an airplane.

Wow, it really does!

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/5/15 8:06 p.m.

And it's awesome!

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 UberDork
11/5/15 8:10 p.m.

I like the exhaust note way more than I should.

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
11/5/15 9:00 p.m.

I'm glad you guys like the way it sounds, but it's too damn loud, I'm going to be putting a stock style exhaust back on it for now.

bgkast
bgkast GRM+ Memberand UberDork
11/5/15 9:16 p.m.

In reply to SyntheticBlinkerFluid:

Too loud? Not possible.

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
11/5/15 9:22 p.m.

In reply to bgkast:

Oh I disagree

El Cheapo
El Cheapo HalfDork
11/5/15 9:29 p.m.

Sometimes the audio can be misleading on video equipment, but from where I'm sitting that sounds cool. Congratulations on getting it running!

NOHOME
NOHOME UberDork
11/6/15 6:15 a.m.

Started like it might have a couple of degrees too much advance. Or the battery is a bit low. But congratulations.

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
11/6/15 1:01 p.m.
NOHOME wrote: Started like it might have a couple of degrees too much advance. Or the battery is a bit low. But congratulations.

Little of both. I had been starting it and shutting it off so the battery didn't get enough time to charge. In my first initial stages of it starting, I couldn't keep it running so I had to advance it to get the RPM up. I was able to borrow a timing light and got the timing where it needs to be for me to be able to adjust the carbs. Now that they are set, every thing seems to be running well.

Vigo
Vigo PowerDork
11/6/15 3:45 p.m.

So that horrible misfire on throttle tip-in is gone?

Lookin good.

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
11/6/15 4:59 p.m.

The way it falls flat off idle makes me think it's only running on one of the primary carbs. The crossover tube between primary carb bases is big enough that the engine will idle pretty good with only one primary carb functioning.

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
11/6/15 5:41 p.m.
Vigo wrote: So that horrible misfire on throttle tip-in is gone? Lookin good.

I had to go back and listen to the video and that's not a misfire. The sound you are hearing is me pumping the gas again. The throttle linkage makes a distinct sound.

1 ... 3 4 5 6 7

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
z962YRCqvozWTVJP4cPIbzWRVWnctxdYdyxCY7hGytNo4LMa9WsTOA4IaHG4QaXU