1 ... 4 5 6 7
SyntheticBlinkerFluid
SyntheticBlinkerFluid UltimaDork
11/6/15 5:43 p.m.
AngryCorvair wrote: The way it falls flat off idle makes me think it's only running on one of the primary carbs. The crossover tube between primary carb bases is big enough that the engine will idle pretty good with only one primary carb functioning.

Well this was before I was able to get a timing light, so now I have it all properly adjusted and both carbs are flowing.

I also have a cam in this engine, so the idle is a little lope-ier than a stock 140.

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
11/17/15 3:53 p.m.

Yay more updates!

I had to clean the garage. I wanted to get the '68 out of the garage and I backed it out under its own power for the first time in 34 years. Clutch grabbed well.

So I picked up a slightly used exhaust system.

I thought the headers would be difficult to remove but they came off very easy.

Here's the reason I'm not using these headers.

The chrome tips that came on it were pretty corroded.

But they cleaned up well. (I did not weld these on )

So here's the end result, but this was also at 3:30 in the morning when I got done so I will have to get a better video.

http://youtu.be/y-oLMtv0QYU

Mr2Spydermon
Mr2Spydermon New Reader
11/18/15 7:35 a.m.

If you want real fat tires and can find them, 245/5014 BFG T/A's will fit on 14 X 7 Chevy Camaro Ralleye wheels on the front. On the back you can put 265/50-15 T/A's on 15 X 8 Corvette Ralleye wheels. They will fit with no body modifications. I have done it. They look bitchin'!

Powar
Powar UltraDork
11/18/15 8:17 a.m.
SyntheticBlinkerFluid wrote: I had to clean the garage. I wanted to get the '68 out of the garage and I backed it out under its own power for the first time in 34 years. Clutch grabbed well.

Oh, man. That must've felt great. Congrats.

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
11/18/15 8:42 a.m.
Mr2Spydermon wrote: If you want real fat tires and can find them, 245/5014 BFG T/A's will fit on 14 X 7 Chevy Camaro Ralleye wheels on the front. On the back you can put 265/50-15 T/A's on 15 X 8 Corvette Ralleye wheels. They will fit with no body modifications. I have done it. They look bitchin'!

I'm not really a fan of two different size wheels. I'm either going with 15s or 16s, I really like the look of 17s, but that may not happen until I restore the car. I am going 15x7 in the front and 15x8 in the back.

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
11/18/15 8:44 a.m.
Powar wrote:
SyntheticBlinkerFluid wrote: I had to clean the garage. I wanted to get the '68 out of the garage and I backed it out under its own power for the first time in 34 years. Clutch grabbed well.
Oh, man. That must've felt great. Congrats.

Yes it did!

Not having brakes, not so much.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce PowerDork
11/18/15 10:06 a.m.

Which is why I like a working parking brake if at all possible. Just needs to save you hitting a tree one time to make it worth it.
Such a pretty car.

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
11/18/15 3:30 p.m.

In reply to mazdeuce:

Yeah gotta buy a new parking cable. Mine rusted in half from sitting in water.

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
12/23/15 10:47 p.m.

Parts update!

My dad was kind enough to get me a set of new plug wires. These are 8mm Taylor silicone wires. The guy who makes these does a great job.

Best part is, they're red!

This gives me an excuse to pull my shrouds off and paint them, otherwise with these new wires my engine compartment is going to look like crap.

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
1/30/16 5:15 p.m.

Forgot to post this when I did it. Even though this is just the top shroud off, I took all the upper shrouds off. They look like crap because the paint has flaked off all of them.

Now the task is ahead of pulling the drive train completely so I can clean the entire engine compartment and paint it.

My dad is on the hunt for a 3.27 rear end to replace my 3.89. Even though the engine is built, I'm more concerned about gas mileage and the 13 gallon tank. A 3.27 transaxle will definitely keep it peppy and help lower the mileage and the highway RPMs.

If anybody wonders why I keep my dad looking for things, it's because he's retired and doesn't have anything else better to do.

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
12/24/16 2:11 p.m.

Wow it's almost been a year since my last update.

Just a minor update, but my dad and I took the engine shrouds over to my friends Automotive Day Spa for some pampering.

Made sure to get some exfoliating done:

Unfortunately I didn't get a picture of the cucumber facial and new coat of polish, but They came out pretty well.

My friend also sold his Yenko Stinger a few years ago (he still has his P1800ES and Mk III Supra), but he has an accumulation of Corvair parts and he gave me a brand new set of Bosch Platinum spark plugs for free. He told me that if I ever need parts, to give him a call before I go buying new parts. It's nice to have friends like that.

petegossett
petegossett GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
12/24/16 6:37 p.m.

In reply to SyntheticBlinkerFluid:

Awesome, glad to see progress on this again!

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
12/26/16 12:07 p.m.
petegossett wrote: In reply to SyntheticBlinkerFluid: Awesome, glad to see progress on this again!

Yeah little by little. Now that I have a job that doesn't suck, I'm hoping to buy some more things this new year and hopefully have it on the road by the fall. My goal is the 2019 CORSA convention because that's being hosted by my club, the Chicagoland Corvair Enthusiasts and I want to arrive with an actual car of my own.

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
12/26/16 1:05 p.m.

So all the shrouds got a shot of primer until we can hit them with some satin black. I realized after the fact that I am missing a couple pieces and I have to still take them off the motor.

http://i1293.photobucket.com/albums/b584/a10warthog4/Mobile%20Uploads/2016-12/354DC0FA-5C10-4214-8E7A-573396A88237_zpskp0d95d9.jpg

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
1/16/17 10:19 p.m.

Well my engine shrouds are painted!

Now I need to drop the drivetrain so I can clean and repaint the engine compartment. These are going to make it look like crap.

petegossett
petegossett GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
1/17/17 6:07 a.m.

In reply to SyntheticBlinkerFluid:

They look great!

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
6/5/17 1:19 p.m.

Haven't had an update in quite a while, but I picked up this set of 16x8 IROC-Z wheels from Quasimofo and will hopefully be putting them on my car soon. They currently have some 205/55-16 snow tires on them, so I want to get some good street tires soon.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/5/17 2:13 p.m.

Those are in my top three favorite Chevy wheels of all time. They look great on Corvairs.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 UltimaDork
6/5/17 2:32 p.m.
Woody wrote: Those are in my top three favorite Chevy wheels of all time. They look great on everything .

Fixed that for you.

Looking forward to seeing them on a black corvair. Its gonna be super sexy.

livinon2wheels
livinon2wheels GRM+ Memberand New Reader
11/12/18 4:17 a.m.

this is a project that tugs at my heartstrings...I had a 68 500 model which was the base model with rubber floor mat, no carpet, manual 3 speed, and it was dads before I got it. Sadly rust and my then wifes insistence at driving it home with no fan belt for a few miles spelled the end of that car...she secretly hated the car and me too I think. Never mind the completely pinned head temperature gauge dear...lol. This is gonna be a nice car when you are done...

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
11/18/18 7:07 a.m.

So I haven’t really had much to update on the ‘68, but the CORSA National Convention is being hosted by my club next summer, so once I get into my new house and settled, be expecting to see a lot more updates. 

One thing I did get, was a new set of headers. These are Clark’s Ultimate Headers and I don’t love the sound of the glass packs on them, but I’m not going to worry about that right now. We’ll change up the mufflers at a different time. 

84FSP
84FSP SuperDork
11/18/18 9:06 a.m.

Can't wait for a pic with the iroc wheels.  They should be perfect for it.

crankwalk
crankwalk SuperDork
11/18/18 11:17 a.m.

Good to see this at the top again.

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
11/25/18 12:06 a.m.

More parts acquisition. My dad got me a nice used gas tank for the car. It has some surface rust but is solid. When I get closer to putting it in, I’ll seal the inside. 

Alfaromeoguy
Alfaromeoguy New Reader
11/25/18 12:05 p.m.

In reply to SyntheticBlinkerFluid :How did those primary  header pipes get that way,

1 ... 4 5 6 7

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
NUq9ByS5FPyD4jNadVIRQzWIb9zo5xi5c8bkhEPs6l4DG8YTZth6ghPLcPY0GxiU