1 2 3 ... 8
singleslammer
singleslammer SuperDork
8/28/14 9:48 p.m.

I tried using the link directly and that didn't work either. Is your photo album public?

NGTD
NGTD SuperDork
8/29/14 8:27 a.m.

You have to press the little camera icon above when editing and post the link in the box that appears.

Then your Photo will appear.

edit - your link is bad. I tried copying it and posting as noted and I got the black X.

Timeormoney
Timeormoney Reader
8/29/14 8:33 a.m.

bgkast
bgkast GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/29/14 8:39 a.m.

Ghooble
Ghooble New Reader
8/29/14 8:52 a.m.

It says page not found for me like that link is broken. Try linking the whole album just as a regular link and I can try hotlinking in a picture.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/29/14 9:07 a.m.

A V8 kei truck is doing it super right!

Ben_Modified
Ben_Modified New Reader
8/29/14 4:42 p.m.

I can see the photo now. Anyone else?

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 Dork
8/29/14 4:46 p.m.

I cam now!

Ben_Modified
Ben_Modified New Reader
8/29/14 4:59 p.m.

Great. The cab and bed are now on a shortened and narrowed jeep dj5 frame. Suspension replacement parts were unavailable for the Hijet frame but plentiful for the jeep. Also got a limited slip dana 44 rear axle in the process. The axle was easy to narrow as it uses a short and long axle arrangement. Only had to shorten one axle tube and install two factory short axles. Boxed the frame while I was at it.

Ben_Modified
Ben_Modified New Reader
8/29/14 5:09 p.m.

There was insufficient height under the cab for the engine, so it is mounted mostly under the bed. With only a 66 inch wheelbase, while keeping the truck simple with a solid axle etc, there is no room for a transmission. This is an old Vega style saginaw 3 speed which has been cut down to serve as a clutch between the engine and rear axle. With this power to weight ratio, I am not expecting a problem

Ben_Modified
Ben_Modified New Reader
8/29/14 5:18 p.m.

The engine/clutch in connected directly to the rear axle and supported by a subframe which bolts to a four link mount on the axle and to a pivot on the front. The axle/clutch/engine are all mounted together as a unit and the frame and leaf springs move around it.

Ben_Modified
Ben_Modified Reader
8/29/14 5:28 p.m.

This is where the truck stands.

Replaced the stock 10" wheels with junkyard ($11 ea) Suzuki Vitara 15"s and short tires for similar overall dimensions and stock (sleeper) proportions.

fujioko
fujioko Reader
8/29/14 5:34 p.m.

This thing is awesome! Kei class trucks are sold in Michigan for off road use, if they were street legal I would daily drive one. What is the story about registration issues where your at?

Ben_Modified
Ben_Modified Reader
8/29/14 5:44 p.m.

In reply to bgkast: This is an 07 Hayabusa with a custom subframe using a narrowed vw bug front axle and 1/2 of a 944 rear torsion and modified trailing arm. Three wheel disc brakes! Roof skin and nose from a badly rusted Suzuki Carry and a 6 on the tree.

Ben_Modified
Ben_Modified New Reader
8/29/14 5:49 p.m.

In reply to fujioko: It is a 1970 model which was 50 state legal in 1970 and only has to meet that guideline, As such is grandfathered in. If you are looking at older models like this, make sure that it still has its Federal Safety compliance sticker and you shouldn't have any problem. Also, I believe that anything over 25 years old is exempt from compliance.

Kenny_McCormic
Kenny_McCormic PowerDork
8/29/14 6:04 p.m.

Interesting setup, though you know GM made a longitudinal engine FWD tranxaxle version of both the BOPC TH400 and TH350, right? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turbo-Hydramatic_425 which can easily be adapted to the chevy bell pattern with one of these http://www.summitracing.com/int/parts/tci-230000/overview/

Would ride a lot better without 50% of the vehicle being unsprung mass.

fujioko wrote: This thing is awesome! Kei class trucks are sold in Michigan for off road use, if they were street legal I would daily drive one. What is the story about registration issues where your at?

Pretty sure you can get one registered on a hot rod/sandrail/UTV tag in Michigan.

gamby
gamby UltimaDork
9/3/14 12:17 a.m.

In reply to Ben_Modified:

This build is a riot. Excellent so far.

edizzle89
edizzle89 Reader
9/3/14 5:21 a.m.

new favorite build... i really dig the the engine/trans/axle all being part of the suspension

Ben_Modified
Ben_Modified New Reader
10/19/14 4:31 p.m.

Just finished the exhaust

Video build series (so far) is available here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nYbvSrlo2AA

Ben_Modified
Ben_Modified New Reader
10/19/14 4:39 p.m.

In reply to NGTD: some Suzuki Reverse Trike videos available here:

http://youtu.be/JIHByctDw3A

Ben_Modified
Ben_Modified New Reader
11/8/14 7:02 a.m.

Fuel Tank is finished and installed. Also replaced all brakes/components and all ball joints, tie rods and wheel bearings.

More photos and information on my blog www.itsbenmodified.blogspot.com

Ben_Modified
Ben_Modified New Reader
11/19/14 5:53 p.m.

Got the new Cab Floor in. Added some duct work to help direct air to the radiator

my site with all the projects

www.itsbenmodified.blogspot.com

2002maniac
2002maniac Dork
11/20/14 8:23 a.m.

I really love this project! What rear gears do you plan on running to make the 1:1 "trans" output workable from a stop? I imagine you won't spend much time on the highway

What do you plan to tow with it?

Ben_Modified
Ben_Modified HalfDork
11/20/14 5:30 p.m.

www.benmodified.com

Thanks! The rear gear ratio is a 3.07 with a tire diameter of 20.8" According to the gear calculator on Summit Racings site, idle will net 15 mph, 1250 rpm = 25 mph, 3000 rpm = 60, 3500 = 70 and 5500 rpm = 110 mph. So making my way thru a parking lot will require slipping the clutch a bit, but with this power to weight ratio, I am confident that it will be streetable. If I'm wrong, I still have a plan B to fall back on. I can always move the axle rearward and fit in a "shorty" Powerglide automatic, but I really want to try to keep it looking stock with plan A! As far as towing goes, just a small trailer for my motorcycle. With the boxed frame, big leaf springs and Dana 44, I would think that it is capable of towing a lot more, but I think that the 66" wheelbase is a limiting factor.

2002maniac
2002maniac Dork
11/21/14 9:04 a.m.

Link to your blog nets this:

Blog not found Sorry, the blog you were looking for does not exist. However, the name itsbenmodifed is available to register!
1 2 3 ... 8

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
BkMAm82pRNwrt61IJ5tJ7aeH2N5qyUWOfg6UKji3kMEXcIJ0S0W0U680PFIpcvTo